Interesting Discussion
Phil66
Aug 7 2019, 08:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I haven't watched it all yet, I'm watching it in instalments but it has some very interesting points.

In some ways, it's nice to hear the issues these two amazing players have, makes me feel less inadequate wink.gif

https://youtu.be/DXS6SvROzSY

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 7 2019, 09:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2019, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
Around 26 minutes some KILLER stuff. They talk about how hard it is to write a Good solo. How they put it on record loop and just do it over and over and over til it works. These are two of the best players still breathing and even they have to really work at it to make a solo that they are willing to share. Andy says 3 hours for 30 seconds of good soloing. I have to say, I'm the same way. I put a song on loop record and just keep doin it over and over until I hit a take that I like. It's a process of discovery, even for well seasoned players.

For folks new to soloing, it's crucial to realize that it takes experienced players a serious amount of time and effort. It's not something that just "happens" it's something you make happen through dedication and repetition.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2019, 03:59 PM) *
I haven't watched it all yet, I'm watching it in instalments but it has some very interesting points.

In some ways, it's nice to hear the issues these two amazing players have, makes me feel less inadequate wink.gif

https://youtu.be/DXS6SvROzSY

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 7 2019, 10:13 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2019, 01:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 7 2019, 08:43 PM) *
For folks new to soloing, it's crucial to realize that it takes experienced players a serious amount of time and effort. It's not something that just "happens" it's something you make happen through dedication and repetition.

I totally agree. This is why guitar has such a high dropout rate. As with anything, from throwing a lump of clay onto a potter's wheel and making a beautiful vase, the skills of top football (soccer) players, playing guitar like Govan, the masters make it look effortless and so the neophyte perceives it as easy.

I was very guilty of that, I bought my first guitar along with the Surfin' With The Alien tab book. In my head it was going to be like painting by numbers, "I've got a guitar, the book shows me which fingers go where, BOOM, I'll be playing Surfin by the weekend". How wrong was I rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 8 2019, 01:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 8 2019, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 8 2019, 01:10 PM) *
I totally agree. This is why guitar has such a high dropout rate. As with anything, from throwing a lump of clay onto a potter's wheel and making a beautiful vase, the skills of top football (soccer) players, playing guitar like Govan, the masters make it look effortless and so the neophyte perceives it as easy.

I was very guilty of that, I bought my first guitar along with the Surfin' With The Alien tab book. In my head it was going to be like painting by numbers, "I've got a guitar, the book shows me which fingers go where, BOOM, I'll be playing Surfin by the weekend". How wrong was I rolleyes.gif

every body knows it takes 2 weekends huh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2019, 06:47 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 8 2019, 01:31 PM) *
every body knows it takes 2 weekends huh.gif

Yeah, two weekends, one in 1990 and one in 1999 with ten thousand hours in between laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2019, 09:30 PM
GMC:er
It's that 10k hours thing that throws people off smile.gif You are spot on about why the dropout rate is so high. Once folks realize how freaking hard it's going to be, many folks just quit. Some folks quite, come back, quite again, etc. What's most important, as I've always said, is to just NOT QUIT. Just keep going in some way, shape, form that allows you to grow over time. Eventually, it gets better. Practice gets easier, learning new bits gets easier. But, you gotta get over that HUMP and it's a big HUMP!!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 8 2019, 01:47 PM) *
Yeah, two weekends, one in 1990 and one in 1999 with ten thousand hours in between laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2019, 08:32 PM
At 17:00 it's interesting, Rick says that after a week of not playing, he struggles with vibrato, bending to pitch and relaxing when playing. I always thought this level of player could pick up the guitar after a month and have no problems.

Makes me feel a whole lot better that I'm maybe not such a crock of crap after all laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:18 PM