Delay, delay settings
Clare
Oct 6 2008, 08:54 PM
Learning Roadie
hi GMC,ers....i know there,s alot of famous guitar players that use two delay settings one slow and one fast, i was wondering if any of you experienced guitar players might know of a good setting for a slow delay and a fast delay ex; milli-sec, depth etc. thank you very much for the help !!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 6 2008, 09:11 PM
Instructor
It depends what you want to use it for, if it is to add some depth, I like to set the mix around 15% wet, feedback to around 20%, and I roll off the highs with a low pass filter at around Khz, that way it is less audible, I don't want the guitar to be washed up in the delay, I like it as a subtle effect.

As for the tempo of the song, I try to time it to the song, for instance if the song is at 120 bpm I would usually set the delay at the duration of an eight note 60/120 = 0.25 secs or 250 ms, usually that is a good value for me, if playing live I set it to around 200ms to 400 ms, and use it only for leads.

If I want a faster delay, I go to about half of that 100ms to 200ms but usually longer delay is what I use

Hope it helps

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 6 2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor
I rarely use double delay but when I do, it use it subtle, 2-3 repeats max, long one 250-300, short one, 60-150, depending what kind of sound I need. I suggest you experiment with settings and see what you can come up with.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 6 2008, 09:38 PM
Learning Roadie
thanks jose and ivan for the advice, yeah i guess i will have to fool around with the settings to find what sounds good to me....thanks again

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 6 2008, 09:46 PM
Instructor
No problem mate. For what are you planning to use those delays? Any song that we know of perhaps?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 6 2008, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
If you're really interested, here is a great article on how The Edge of U2 uses delay - There is a bit of math involved(As others have said, as tempo and note timings figure into the settings)- Hardest thing will be getting your live drummer(if you use one) to play at the correct tempo so you're delay will match - Edge uses a reference sound such as the intro to "Where the Streets have no name" to get the drummer to match - This is also why most effects units have a tap tempo button that you press to match the timing of the beat.

The Edge uses 2 delays, as well as natural delay created by distancing mics from his amps when playing live.

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

This was an interesting read for me, but I really like The Edge - I never could get my $150 Zoom G2 effects pedal(Has 2 delays) to sound like The Edges $30k rack - I wonder why?? (Obviously I am joking)

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 7 2008, 12:14 AM
Instructor
Very cool thread!

Delay is very important aspect of guitar sound and like reverb it is often times overlooked.

I like to set up delay to tempo and make it so it 16th or 32nd note late . This is very short delay and to this I add reverb . If you play with POD XT Live trough the amp then you have reverb there too, so make sure to balance things out.
Of course if your goal is to sound like Edge the best thing to do is set delay to either 8th note triplets or sixteen notes.
So if you play a note once you would here it (in rhythm) 2 more times (as a triplet) or 3 more times (as 16th notes).

Overall you need to experiment with this and find things that work for you.

May I also suggest going to Youtube and typing into search things like "how to set guitar delay" or "delay effect" etc.

Hope this helps
Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 7 2008, 01:33 AM
Learning Roadie
thank you guys for helping me out with my delay settings, to ivan..no particular song in mind i was just looking for a delay setting in general for when i,m doing a slow lead or a fast lead because it seems to sound better with some sort of delay on it, thanks guitar1969 for the insight to the thread you mentioned, i agree pedja delay is very important, it really makes what your playing sound so much better !!!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 12:54 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You already got some great suggestions..Delay effect is definitely one of most interesting ones.Just keep in mind that you want to use your effects (all of them) in subtle nuances(small portions/settings)..You don't want to overuse effects and make them too strong , you want to enhance your tone but not be in for example "chorus-in-your-face mode".Its always better to settle somewhere in between when its not so obvious what effects are you using smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 10 2008, 01:03 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 9 2008, 07:54 PM) *
You already got some great suggestions..Delay effect is definitely one of most interesting ones.Just keep in mind that you want to use your effects (all of them) in subtle nuances(small portions/settings)..You don't want to overuse effects and make them too strong , you want to enhance your tone but not be in for example "chorus-in-your-face mode".Its always better to settle somewhere in between when its not so obvious what effects are you using smile.gif

I would agree, but I think heavy effects usage has its place too. But for leads and regular rhythm playing etc, yeah, less is usually better.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 10 2008, 02:03 AM) *
I would agree, but I think heavy effects usage has its place too. But for leads and regular rhythm playing etc, yeah, less is usually better.

Oh well of course ! I forgot to mention that I was mainly referring to regular playing..There are many guitarists famous for their usage of effects but that's the flip side of the coin smile.gif

We all get tempted to use our new effect pedal heavily, but It may be better to use it more subtly.. smile.gif Experiment all comes down to taste..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 10 2008, 01:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 10 2008, 01:21 AM
Instructor
You might want to check Blues Saraceno's "A lighter shade of plaid".

Here is the tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/blue...d_power_tab.htm

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 10 2008, 02:40 AM
Learning Roadie
hi bogdan, the effects i,m using as of now is a vox tonelab le straight into my traynor custom speical...that,s it !!!! it,s a pretty awesome muti-effects unit, i really like it.

thanks ramiro, i will check it out for sure !!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (THE BUZZARD @ Oct 10 2008, 03:40 AM) *
hi bogdan, the effects i,m using as of now is a vox tonelab le straight into my traynor custom speical...that,s it !!!! it,s a pretty awesome muti-effects unit, i really like it.

That's good mate , keep experimenting with effects (its fun!) , and of course the shorter the signal chain the better so you're on the right track. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 10 2008, 12:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 13 2008, 08:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (THE BUZZARD @ Oct 6 2008, 09:54 PM) *
hi GMC,ers....i know there,s alot of famous guitar players that use two delay settings one slow and one fast, i was wondering if any of you experienced guitar players might know of a good setting for a slow delay and a fast delay ex; milli-sec, depth etc. thank you very much for the help !!!!!

Personally I use high effect level and low delay time, so that you'll be warm, but not overloaded.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Oct 14 2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor
I have my usual delay on around 300ms. But sometimes i like to quantisize it with the bpm of the song i'm recording.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 14 2008, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
hi trond, thanks for the reply.... 300 mllsecs. i,ll give it a try !!!!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:01 PM