Couple Problems
lostredmption
Nov 28 2007, 06:12 PM
GMC:er
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and just had a couple questions for you. I have been playing guitar on and off for the past 4 years and have finally decided its time to really kick up my playing. I seem to have to issues that keep me from playing better though.

#1- Infrequent use of my pinky and having a tendency to use my fingers in the wrong spots. Its an old habit that is dying very hard! Does anybody have any exercises that can help to strengthen my pinky and help to keep my fingers in line?

#2- I read somewhere in the lessons that if you want to play fast then you should keep your thumb on the back of the neck. I tend to bring my thumb around to the side when I am playing though, again from old habits, has anyone else had this problem? Its so hard for me to learn the new way!

Thats pretty much it for now, I have been working really hard to try to correct them, but any help or advice would be aprreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 28 2007, 06:23 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey lostredmption, and welcome to GMC smile.gif

for #1
You could try this recent lesson by Muris
http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...esson/index.htm

it certainly strengthened my pinky and all my others too!

for #2
you can see this problem discussed alot in the forum, generally, people use the thumb in the centre of the neck for speed runs etc as this is more efficient for stretches. However, vibrato tends to sound quite bad/weak using this technique- so you will often see a player switch thumb positioning for phrasing, bends and vibrato. Its all a matter of taste of how YOU feel comfortable playing.

To compare and practise the two thumb styles- can i recommend these two lessons by Pavel-

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...-solo/index.htm
http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...cking/index.htm

I'm sure you will notice which video has which thumb position,
and yes- alot of people find getting thumb positioning right, I remember spending months trying to overcome this (still not 100%)

Have fun and take care wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Nov 28 2007, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2007, 08:49 PM
Instructor
Almost every young player has the same "problems" man. ANd you know what? These are not problems after all! No really smile.gif Just practise the new way of playing and don`t worry so much about the old way. Eventualy old habits will get replaced by the new ones and thath`s that. Here are the simple solutions to your problem:

#1 Just practise your pinky more
#2 Hold your thumb in the way you feel comfortable playing something

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 30 2007, 01:19 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 28 2007, 11:23 AM) *
However, vibrato tends to sound quite bad/weak using this technique-

my Vibrato is extremely strong when i have the thumb in the middle of the neck, its stronger than when i do it with the thumb over the neck, strange huh? tongue.gif i guess following advices since i started playing did payed off biggrin.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 30 2007, 05:37 PM
Instructor
Legato lessons will sure help you with the pinky! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:30 AM