Can't Slap?
dysfunction
Jul 17 2009, 07:03 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys, relatively new to GMC, been a member for a couple months but haven't posted on the forum until now.

Anyway, I'm primarily a guitarist but I picked up a bass a little while ago, and I wanted to try slapping.

And... I can't. At all. I don't mean that the techniques are too difficult, I mean that I can't get the darn thing to make a sound when I try to slap. I'm following the technique shown in any lesson, slapping with the thumb parallel to the string at the end of the fretboard, and it just makes a muted, percussive sound, not a slapped note, which should sound somewhat percussive but still be a recognizable tone. I've tried it on my guitar too, no luck. Haven't really had a chance to try it on a different bass. Could it have something to do with the way it's set up? I just changed strings (to D'Addario flat wound .045s), no difference. The action is fairly high up, though I haven't played bass long enough to know just how high in comparison.

Help?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I've slaughtered truth
And I've shattered my heart
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 17 2009, 10:50 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello,

From what I read , I think the solution is following: Your thumb should make contact with the string, with the left bone joint part of it (left from the nail). Now the main thing when slapping in order to produce a note is to bounce off with your finger as soon as you slap the string. It should be a downwards motion enabling your thumb to land on the string bellow after the strike (if you want it to for example when playing double thumb), So , try slapping the string and then immediately bouncing off with your finger in order not to choke the string and mute it - rather let it ring out the note you are fretting with your left hand.
Tell me how this works and if you can get a note ringing. Higher action is cooler for slapping so it shouldn't be a problem - just apply enough force to it. It think that you are making too long of a contact with a string when slapping there fore muting the string..

Tell me if you can get the note sounding, and give me more details on what you are doing if you can't so we can work it out!

Its hard to get the first slap right after that it will be a breeze....

Cheers ,
Bogdan

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
dysfunction
Jul 17 2009, 09:39 PM
OK, the thing I was doing wrong was coming down and bouncing back up exactly perpendicular to the guitar- watching your lesson more closely I saw that you actually come down perpendicular, but bounce off to the side so it kindof brushes the string while slapping it, right? Anyway that seems to work, thanks a lot!

--------------------
I've slaughtered truth

+Quote Post
dysfunction
Jul 17 2009, 10:06 PM
Actually now I realized it works better if I come down and bounce off all at an angle... I'm getting pretty much the right sound now, so I guess I'm doing it close to right. Again, thanks!

--------------------
I've slaughtered truth

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 17 2009, 10:43 PM
QUOTE (dysfunction @ Jul 17 2009, 10:39 PM) *
OK, the thing I was doing wrong was coming down and bouncing back up exactly perpendicular to the guitar- watching your lesson more closely I saw that you actually come down perpendicular, but bounce off to the side so it kindof brushes the string while slapping it, right? Anyway that seems to work, thanks a lot!

QUOTE (dysfunction @ Jul 17 2009, 11:06 PM) *
Actually now I realized it works better if I come down and bounce off all at an angle... I'm getting pretty much the right sound now, so I guess I'm doing it close to right. Again, thanks!

I think you are getting hang of it! Congrats man, first slaps are always hard.There is no particular rule at what angle you should bounce off.When I slap I'm coming from an angle but at the point of impact with the string my thumb is pretty parallel to it, then I'm kinda brushing it (but still hitting it hard with a bone part of the finger joint) and going downwards a little away from it. Idea is to learn to bounce off. Depending what kind of line I'm playing I'm bouncing off towards the next note I want to 'hit'. I you were to play a double thumb technique you would have to bounce off to the next adjacent string bellow and let your thumb land right on it and anchor there. That may be the most proper way of bouncing off. Try it out! Try slapping the string (brushing it and going through it) and then landing on the next adjacent string bellow with your thumb and comfortably anchoring it there. Its a really cool exercise to get the bouncing part down right. It may be hard at first but practice it a little...

I'm really glad you are playing bass and starting with a slap technique ( which is so cool! )!

Have fun!

Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
dysfunction
Jul 18 2009, 12:45 AM
Now I have to build up all new calluses on my thumb, index, and ring fingers on the right hand for all that slapping and popping sad.gif Until then, owwee...

--------------------
I've slaughtered truth

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 18 2009, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dysfunction @ Jul 18 2009, 01:45 AM) *
Now I have to build up all new calluses on my thumb, index, and ring fingers on the right hand for all that slapping and popping sad.gif Until then, owwee...

If it helps, I ended with injury. laugh.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...lapping-lesson/

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 18 2009, 06:03 PM
I love how Regi Wooten slaps his guitar. Although, Victor Wooten is a freak

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 18 2009, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (dysfunction @ Jul 18 2009, 01:45 AM) *

Yeah, and please take it slow...If you feel pain and/or burning sensation in your fingers that is a sign to end the practice session for a day! You don't want to build them the hard way (and make blisters). They should for pretty soon though, popping especially makes big clauses (and blisters sad.gif )...Have fun with slapping, I'm glad its working out for you now..

Cheers,
Bogdan

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 18 2009, 03:11 AM) *

LOL Muris smile.gif hehehehe Loved the computer voice in that lesson!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:20 PM