Suggestions For Playing In Bitter Cold Weather?
guitaristnate
Oct 21 2011, 03:06 AM
GMC:er
Playing in bitter cold weather has been a problem for me for a while now, especially when playing big venues outdoors. I've had problems with my fingers and wrist going numb making it harder to play during outdoor shows, and seeing how winters right around the corner, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, Warm-ups to keep the blood in my hands and fingers flowing, tips, hand stretches or possibly any suggestions on what to wear such as fingerless gloves maybe? Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 21 2011, 05:14 AM
Instructor
Fingerless gloves could be a nice idea, i now some musicians make some cardio exercises before a show, running, jumping whatever, it will keep you warm and you will be ready for action!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 21 2011, 05:15 AM
Learning Roadie
biggrin.gif Maybe you should check out this topic started on this very subject. Funny coincidence. Ivan started that topic not long ago.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2011, 06:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 21 2011, 01:15 AM) *
biggrin.gif Maybe you should check out this topic started on this very subject. Funny coincidence. Ivan started that topic not long ago.

I was going to post this link! There you''l find some cool feedback regarding this...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 21 2011, 08:59 AM
Instructor
I struggled with this for years and still do, especially at a gig ! wink.gif Whatever activites you find to warm your hands up with, please always remember that warming up is preferable to stretching. The increased blood flow is what you're after, to make the bits and pieces move normally and efficiently.. if you try to stretch a cold and sluggish muscle, you're more likely to do more damage.

I've found that movements that move the whole arm and elbow joint result in higher blood flow and warmth, rather than focusing only on the hands themselves. One thing I do is imaginary bicep curls.. sounds stupid but it works. Since I started Karate I also found that throwing a few punches very quickly warms up my whole upper body as well as making my heart pump faster, especially if you're wearing more layers. So try and find some upper body movements that are vigourous and work for you. It's difficult to find some privacy and space to do that kind of thing at a gig but easier in the comfort of your own home of course.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 21 2011, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Well, it's hard to play in cold, it would be best to use warm water to warm up hands (but dry out hands at once, or else they will be even colder!). Also, check the topic for more advices smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 21 2011, 07:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 21 2011, 09:59 AM) *
I struggled with this for years and still do, especially at a gig ! wink.gif Whatever activites you find to warm your hands up with, please always remember that warming up is preferable to stretching. The increased blood flow is what you're after, to make the bits and pieces move normally and efficiently.. if you try to stretch a cold and sluggish muscle, you're more likely to do more damage.

I've found that movements that move the whole arm and elbow joint result in higher blood flow and warmth, rather than focusing only on the hands themselves. One thing I do is imaginary bicep curls.. sounds stupid but it works. Since I started Karate I also found that throwing a few punches very quickly warms up my whole upper body as well as making my heart pump faster, especially if you're wearing more layers. So try and find some upper body movements that are vigourous and work for you. It's difficult to find some privacy and space to do that kind of thing at a gig but easier in the comfort of your own home of course.

that's very useful, will try to apply it at the next gig since it's quite cold here

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2011, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Keep this one flowing! I'm having an open air Mozart Rocks! gig on the 2nd of December! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:24 PM