Intonation Strat!
Jesse
Jan 1 2011, 03:06 PM
GMC:er
Have'nt posted here in aaaaages but anyway, im desperate.

Hey!

Here follows a little history story:

The intonation on my strat is'nt was'nt what it's supposed to be so I tried to set it it right.
The whole procedure - Tuning the open string - playing the 12th string flagiolet (harmonic) and comparing it with the fretted 12 and then adjusting the bridge/string length to where the fretted note on the 12th fret is in tune with the open string. (or something close to that, my description probably lacks a step or two.)

But anyway, it just wouldn't work. So I took the guitar to the local guitar shop and they said when they gave it back to me, that the neck was crooked. I did not really buy it, but ok.
I get home, plug it in, and the guitar won't work but give a loud buzz and no normal guitar tones/notes what-so-ever.
That really pissed me off and the guitar immediately went back. Turns out they had missolderd a wire or something. What the heck! THey weren't even supposed to go there.
Well, the intonation after that was at least ok. For a while.
This was all about 4 months ago.

Then it got really bad. I couldn't really play anything past the 10th or so fret or it would sound like... well, someone who did not tune his guitar for 25 years.

So I try to set the intonation again, but it wouldn't work. So there we go, guitar back to the shop,
conclusion : I had a lazy string.

They told me the string was mis-made/wound in the factory and due to that the intionation wouldn't settle.
Anyway, intonation ok again.
This was about 2 months ago

And whadda-ya know.
My intonation is often quite flat(or sharp at times) and when I try to set it, it just won't settle.
I am sure I'm doing it right (as far as actions/procedures go), I've looked up 1000 tutorials on the internet and I really think I am doing it correctly.

For example, when the open string is in perfect tuning and the fretted note (12th fret) is flat, I move the bridge saddle a little away from the nut.
(isn't that weird?) I always see people saying that if the 12th note is flat, you have to move the saddle towards the nut. Well, mine just gets flatter if I do that.
If I try it the other way, ignoring the tuning at first and moving the saddle closer to the nut (like everybody's saying) and retuning it all, I get exactly the same results.

Then I retune the open string to perfect pitch, and fret the 12th fret , and, bada-bing-bada-boom, the intonation is just like before. A little flat. To me it seems the saddle adjustments are just like the tuning peg-adjustments. Whatever I do with the saddle, when I retune the open string it all just goes back. The other way around is the same. I adjust the tuning with the pegs, tune to the 12th fret and its all back again.

I really have no clue how to go about this. It's really starting to piss me off that my guitar just won't sound in tune after at least the 10th fret.

Can anyone help? I'm completely lost.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2011, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Hey mate,

Is any specific saddle the issue or all the saddles?
In what condition are the frets?
Have you messed with the nut in any way?
If the problem is with G string, does it have unusually small angle from the nut to the machine heads?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sentenced
Jan 2 2011, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
You have to trie to change strings first if you havent already and were playing some times on the string. Old strings have always intonation issues at least thats my experience

+Quote Post
Gary
Jan 2 2011, 02:48 AM
GMC:er
Jesse,

I would follow the guide for setting up a stratocaster that is available on the Fender site.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/str...ter-setup-guide

Good Luck!

Gary

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:32 PM