Recording Sound
SonofDestiny
Dec 30 2008, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I've been wondering about this since I started recording myself. How come I sound good when I play it and bad when I hear it on my pc? It sounds so sloppy and the tone is really weak. Am I deaf or is it possible that my sound is being affected by the way I record? (Which is with a Shure SM58 in front of my amp)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 06:01 PM
Instructor
Can you post a sample of you playing so we can comment on it mate?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Dec 30 2008, 06:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Things always sound worse when you play them back after being recorded. As Ivan says though try posting a recording.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 30 2008, 06:37 PM
Here it is. I really feel like my tone is way richer when it's not recorded. What I hear in my room is a tone which resembles Tjchep's tone, but when I record it sounds like just another metalguitarist :\

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lijn_in_2_Mic_2_2008_12_30_19_06_06.wma ( 310.26K ) Number of downloads: 101

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 06:56 PM
Instructor
hmm, the sample is a bit short mate, but I can say your tone is reasonably good (judging by a couple of notes I've heard..).

I suggest you try to record with slightly less distortion and EQ the take a bit. Sweep the EQ around 100-150Hz to find the sweet spot and raise it by +3dB. This should create a bit more softer preset.

Try to do that, and please post a bit longer take, like 1-2 minutes playing. I can't really tell much from 5 seconds!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 30 2008, 07:08 PM
Haha okay, sorry man, should've known that tongue.gif I have no idea where that EQ spot of 100-150Hz is on my amp by the way.

Gonna record something now, 2 minutes.

EDIT: it's up. Worst take ever. I was just noodling around.. I apologize biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Dec 30 2008, 07:19 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lijn_in_2_Mic_2_2008_12_30_19_45_02.wma ( 3.68MB ) Number of downloads: 77

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor
In my honest opinion, there isn't anything wrong with your sound in general, but I can give you some advises to make it better:

- When you record, record everything as clean and precise as you can
- Keep the recording from your amp dry (like this example here)
- Produce your sound later in the DAW Software (Reaper, Cubase etc)

This last thing is very important. Your amp has limited possibilities for tweaking the sound, so further adjustments can be done in DAW. The main thing you need to know is what kind of tone your are looking for, and what is wrong with your current tone. I would say this example was a bit too dry, but I actually liked the sound.

- When recording in DAW, make sure you have the loudest signal possible. Try to make it as loud as you can, but avoid clipping. This will allow the software to catch all the subtle nuances of the signal.
- After recording, EQ the take in DAW at about 100-150 to give it a more low end.
- You can add some nice compression as well to make it a bit smoother
- Add some delay and reverb, but not too much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 30 2008, 07:42 PM
Allright, thanks for the advice, Ivan smile.gif This is something I can work with. Could it be that my microphone changes the sound though?

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Dec 30 2008, 07:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:37 PM