Power Supply For Pedal Boards Question
Brandon Earman
Aug 9 2010, 02:50 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm currently using a V-Spot power adapter to power my 4-5 pedals: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-1...308-i1124557.gc.

One of these powers 4-5 pedals of mine just fine, but as I add another pedal or two I run short and it cannot power them all (obviously). What would be the disadvantage of just purchasing an additional V-spot power adapter? They are only $20 US so it's much cheaper than a $100+ power brick.

Am I missing something here? What's the big deal about pricey power bricks?

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2010, 03:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
The Power adaptors are not shielded against noise - on louder volumes you can get quite a lot of noise and buzz from the wall sockets.
Power bricks like the Voodoo Lab pedal power have each 9V output shielded seperately, this will make your pedals run as quietly as if they were powered by a battery! Also the bricks are extremely reliable and amost indestructible...

If you are just in need to power some additional pedals to play at home - get another 20$ power supply
If you are gigging or plan to do so then get a power brick; it's a fire&forget solution

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Aug 9 2010, 03:42 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Aug 9 2010, 04:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Alright Zakk.. thanks for your help man that clears it up. That does raise one more question though. What about the fancy pedal boards that come with their own power supply? This one looks pretty promising, but at a high price. Are they worth the high price, or would you recommend building your own board and buying a power brick?

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2010, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
For those pedals boards with built in power supplies I would always read some reviews. I have com across some that had good powersupplies on board and I have seen some boards with cheapo supplies packed in a fancy housing...

The price on the one you linked is so high because it comes with a hardshell flightcase too!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 10 2010, 05:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You might want to check out the OneSpot. Its pretty cheap, like $30 on Amazon I believe. I have it, and it works pretty good.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2010, 11:23 PM
Instructor
It really depends on your budget in the end. Good expensive pedalboard is a nice investment, if you can afford it - go for it. Same goes for power supply.

In my experience, any pedalboard or power adapter with filtering will do the job. Cheap Behringer like this one here:

will do the job just fine, all you need is a bit better power supply.

For example, I use Boss BCB60 pedalboard some 3 years now for live shows, never had any problems, and used it's power supply. That power supply broke on me after 2.5 years, and I got a technician build me another one with twice as much cable and 1.5A of current available. It doesn't produce any noise that I've noticed, and it's ultra light. I use all analog pedals, and need my current as clean as possible, this one does the job. I could buy a brick, but it was pricey and wanted to get some pedals instead. So in the end, it's all about the budget. If you have the money, get a brick, it is a good all-around solution. If you don't, you won't notice that much of a difference with good quality power adapter.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:51 AM