Power Chord Question?
GuitarMonkey
Mar 22 2009, 02:43 AM
GMC:er
I have been told that you can play any song using only power chords. Do you all agree? I understand that a power chord is neither a Maj or Min, so if a song is all Maj chords, or all minors how do I know what power chord to play?
Example: the chords are: A Maj, G Maj, and E Maj. Would I simply play A,G and E power chords? I hope this makes some sense. unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Pedja Simovic
Mar 22 2009, 02:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Mar 22 2009, 02:43 AM) *
I have been told that you can play any song using only power chords. Do you all agree? I understand that a power chord is neither a Maj or Min, so if a song is all Maj chords, or all minors how do I know what power chord to play?
Example: the chords are: A Maj, G Maj, and E Maj. Would I simply play A,G and E power chords? I hope this makes some sense. unsure.gif

It makes perfect sense !

Like you said , power chords could be used to substitute Major and Minor chords. Regardless of whether chord is major or minor , you still end up playing same power chord.

So A G E major give A G E power chords, same way that A G E minors give A G E power chords.

Hope that makes sense smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Mar 22 2009, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 21 2009, 07:45 PM) *
It makes perfect sense !

Like you said , power chords could be used to substitute Major and Minor chords. Regardless of whether chord is major or minor , you still end up playing same power chord.

So A G E major give A G E power chords, same way that A G E minors give A G E power chords.

Hope that makes sense smile.gif

Yes, you sure do. biggrin.gif
I just checked out Kris' power chord beginner video and info..that was a big help. I guess what I'm trying to figure out (also), is...what classic/heavy metal songs could I try to use this on? Like to subsitute the barre's with power chords?
Also any "regular" songs you think I could try to subsitute open chords by using power chords?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 22 2009, 03:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Mar 22 2009, 02:56 AM) *
Yes, you sure do. biggrin.gif
I just checked out Kris' power chord beginner video and info..that was a big help. I guess what I'm trying to figure out (also), is...what classic/heavy metal songs could I try to use this on? Like to subsitute the barre's with power chords?
Also any "regular" songs you think I could try to subsitute open chords by using power chords?

Awesome smile.gif

Well its pretty much your choice here - sky is the limit really.

Try Nothing else matters . Em D C turn into E5 D5 C5 - for example smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Mar 22 2009, 03:07 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 21 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Awesome smile.gif

Well its pretty much your choice here - sky is the limit really.

Try Nothing else matters . Em D C turn into E5 D5 C5 - for example smile.gif

Ok. I think I got a handle on this stuff now. I cannot thank you enough for the help. Just one more reason why GMC is THE BEST! Rock on!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 22 2009, 03:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Mar 22 2009, 03:07 AM) *
Ok. I think I got a handle on this stuff now. I cannot thank you enough for the help. Just one more reason why GMC is THE BEST! Rock on!

You welcome, any time man smile.gif
Never hesitate to ask !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 22 2009, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Another good example of using powerchords instead of chords is HIM cover of Wicked Game. Chris Isaac used Bminor, Amajor, Emajor, while HIM used B - A - E powerchords with distortion.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2009, 12:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Everything is said about them..Just experiment with the song you want to cover by substituting ! Also its a good approach when composing, you could play the same chords (from verse) in the chorus but this time using only power chords..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Mar 23 2009, 12:54 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:10 PM