Quick Licks #53 : Looping Picking Patterns
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2018, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
Let's do a looping lick that can help when working on precision precision picking. You can pick this using Econ or Alternate picking or any combo of both. The important thing is to play is in a precise manner. This is a "shred" lick but can be played slow. Try to play it in a loop to work on your stamina. Try a couple of loops, or more if possible Never play to the point of pain!! This is a pattern that you can work some serious speed with, given a bit of practice! Keep a good palm mute to keep string noise at bay and to keep each note distinct. It's the same shape on two strings with a back and forth "paul gilbert" ish bit in it. Give it a go!!

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch.

Attached File  53.gp5 ( 1.67K ) Number of downloads: 10059

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This lick works slow or fast so don't feel like you have to shred it up. The vid is just to show you what it can sound like with practice smile.gif Try the Ben Higgins Burst approach and play one loop briskly, or even part of a loop to see what it will feel like to play it fast.

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2018, 09:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take one for scrutiny Todd. Thank you

https://youtu.be/bJKO4LwIZiI

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2018, 04:15 AM
Well done!!! I must say you are a bold guy being the only one to tackle this and for that matter, the only one to tackle quite a few of them when they first come out. I remember you mentioning that me playing these bits at full clip is probably scaring some folks off as they don't think they will be able to play the bit anywhere close to the same speed so they don't try. I"m very glad to see that you are comfy playing it at your own speed and doing well at it. The full speed bit is just to show what one can sound like after years and years and years of non stop practice.

You play this quite well. I think you'd have struggled with this more about a year ago. But now, your string traverse is much improved, your precision is much improved and you are able to keep it nice and steady. I don't know if you can see the progress happening, as it's very hard to see from the inside. I can see it plain as day. Keep it up!! All of your different bits are coming together to really help you get better day by day. Keep it up!!!You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
!!! You remain out TOP DAWG!!! The Highest Ranking Member in the Quick Licks Crew!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 18 2018, 04:50 PM) *
Take one for scrutiny Todd. Thank you

https://youtu.be/bJKO4LwIZiI

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 16 2018, 11:56 AM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2018, 03:48 AM
You got it! There is a little bit of a snag when you are doing the bit where you move back up a string with the pinky to hit the 11th note, but that's ok you have the overal idea of what this lick is about. This "back and forth" style thing is ripped off directly from Paul Gilbert and is at the core of his entire technique and it's a big part of mine as well. Being able to go back for a single note in the middle of a lick is what gives this type of lick it's overall cool sound. It would be much simpler to just run down the notes and back up without hitting that one "back" note, but doing so just doesn't sound nearly as spiff imho. In bootcamp, we work on playing straight descending/ascending bits, then we start adding in bits like this as they make things a pinch tricky. You've got this one on hand so keep on it!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 16 2018, 06:56 AM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 11 2019, 12:43 AM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 22 2019, 08:37 PM
Nicely Done!! Very clean. Solid mute, very precise playing. This is everything I'm looking for in these. You keep it under control the entire time. It never gets away from you. You also keep your mute centered and don't let it drift during traverse. It's a clinic in good technique. Solid as a Rock. I hope the subsequent licks give you more of a challenge!! These are almost too easy for ya!

You just..

LEVLED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 10 2019, 07:43 PM) *

[color="#FF0000"][/color]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 22 2019, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 20 2021, 12:31 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2021, 03:22 AM
This is well played. It's a foundational shred lick. It's built to be played fast. It's stolen from Paul Gilbert himself. It can be used in solos, I use it all the time, and for warming up your speed. Good mute and strikes on this one. Also, your playing is nice an even, not rushing or lagging. This is a fairly simple lick to play once you get it down, it's a great way to work on building speed as well!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 19 2021, 07:31 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 AM