Thumbs Up, or are they?
GuardianBlue
Jun 17 2008, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
GMCers,

I joined just recently, and as i have delved into various lessons, i've found a bit of a question...

-What is the best technique for your left (fretboard) hand?

I seem to remember old teachers once telling me to have my thumb firmly on the back of the neck, but I have recently noticed that my thumb is really riding up: i find it on the top edge of the fretboard and even curled over to where it's really on the fretboard itself. I do have relatively long fingers, so I've kind of settled into this full-grip technique, but i'm really just concerned about whats going to give me the most speed and versatility. Do I need to keep my thumb all the way in the middle of the back of the neck or what?

thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
~FenderBender
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2008, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Well there isn't any technique that is THE best. All techniques are good and cool, and all of them need some work. For starters check out alternate picking techniques and those left hand patterns. The most basic exericses for the left hand are usually scales and arpeggios up and down. So that is the first step generally.

Regarding thumb, thumb is there to move and be flexible all the time. For example When you are fretting low strings and doing a run thumb should be on the lower backside of the neck for easier access, or if you are playing some chords, or melodies on higher strings that requier some muting, you may lift the thumb up to the loq E string form muting it. No rules there, just a generalle guidance that the thumb shouldn't be slowing you down, it should enable you to grasp things better and mute the low Estring when needed. Other than that it is just a matter of personal taste and hard work.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:35 AM