3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Hotone Ampero
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2019, 05:29 AM
GMC:er
I've been wanting one of these since I saw it demoed online for NAMM. Finally got one!!! I just unboxed it today. I'll be testing it out and making some videos with it. The unit goes for about $400 (my plugin/pedal budget is about $150, so if you are on a gear budget, start saving!) which is a couple hundred less than line 6 and head rush smaller boards available that it's meant to compete with. It's got a COLOR TOUCH SCREEN which amazing considering the price point, but unlike the HEAD RUSH which has NO EDITOR APP, this one has a full featured software editor as well as the touch screen interface. Honestly, every board 1k and under should have both. Hotone has thrown down the app/color touch screen gauntlet smile.gif It's guts are based on the XSTOMP which I have been a big fan of and so I can't wait to give this a whirl!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 12 2019, 05:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 12 2019, 02:56 PM
When you start doing vids, can you do one that shows some of the clean, dry amp tones with a single 12" speaker model/IR?
Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2019, 06:24 PM
You mean not mega high gain 4x12 in every vid? Hmm. Sure thing!! smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 12 2019, 09:56 AM) *
When you start doing vids, can you do one that shows some of the clean, dry amp tones with a single 12" speaker model/IR?
Thanks!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 12 2019, 08:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Interesting, If you have a strat there could you dial in an SRV tone please, Tin Pan Alley kinda vibe.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 17 2019, 09:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 13 2019, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 12 2019, 10:24 AM) *
You mean not mega high gain 4x12 in every vid? Hmm. Sure thing!! smile.gif
Todd

Ha, ha!
Yes, thank you.
Light drive and/or medium 'crunch' would be cool too.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2019, 01:43 AM
I do have a Fretlight Strat, so a "near beer" strat as it were smile.gif I'll give it a whirl on some mid gain/bluesy bits!
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 12 2019, 08:08 PM) *
Ha, ha!
Yes, thank you.
Light drive and/or medium 'crunch' would be cool too.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 13 2019, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 12 2019, 05:43 PM) *
I do have a Fretlight Strat, so a "near beer" strat as it were smile.gif I'll give it a whirl on some mid gain/bluesy bits!

Even on one of your RGs would be cool. I play humbucking axes too.
I'm mostly interested to hear the guitars character through the device as opposed to the character of the device.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 13 2019, 04:44 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 13 2019, 09:03 PM
https://youtu.be/4UNwEmrEPkM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 13 2019, 09:35 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 13 2019, 03:43 AM) *
I'm mostly interested to hear the guitars character through the device as opposed to the character of the device.

I wouldn't be very optimistic about that, as its the main downside of every processor. Even line 6 couldn't fix that with their fx only unit;

I never had the chance to test but heard the Digitech gsp1101 is not bad in that area. Probably used prices are super low so might be worth a try. The G-system from TC Electronic should also be good but thats on the expensive side.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2019, 05:12 AM
Good review and quite complete. Nearly an hour long. The last one I did that was this long was every single stock preset on my last hotone multi fx board. I"ve already started shooting so hopefully the first one going up soon!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 13 2019, 04:03 PM) *

I owned the GSP1101 and it was very good on cleans and even mid gain stuff. has it's own foot controller that was very nice. Best part is it's powered by a single ethernet cable, no power supply needed. They are very very cheap these days compared to years past. It fell down for me as it just would not chugg in proper form.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 13 2019, 04:35 PM) *
I wouldn't be very optimistic about that, as its the main downside of every processor. Even line 6 couldn't fix that with their fx only unit;

I never had the chance to test but heard the Digitech gsp1101 is not bad in that area. Probably used prices are super low so might be worth a try. The G-system from TC Electronic should also be good but thats on the expensive side.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 14 2019, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 14 2019, 04:12 AM) *

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php...1982859/page-33

This link might come in handy for you later on if you experience noise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2019, 03:06 AM
I'll coil split one of the rgs and give you mid gain low B on a 7 string smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 12 2019, 11:43 PM) *
Even on one of your RGs would be cool. I play humbucking axes too.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2019, 05:55 AM
Quick vid comparing the ampero and it's competition the Mooer unit near the same price point. I used to think the mooer unit had some good tones until I saw this. By comparison is sounds a bit awful imho.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 16 2019, 11:57 PM
I've ordered one just to try it out. The ui looks much nicer than the Helix one.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2019, 12:37 AM
I'm really impressed with the UI so far. It's very intuitive and very responsive. I"m more of a plugin/software control guy typically, but this touch screen is just so quick/easy to navigate, launching the software editor seems like extra work smile.gif

Also, it does merit saying that if hotone can make a really nice, responsive, color touchscreen at this price point, certainly the "big boys" could do the same. It doesn't seem like it has pushed the price of the unit to far north to be sure, so that's not really a factor it seems. I'm guessing AXE FX/Kemper will be shamed in to adding color touch screens before to much longer smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 16 2019, 06:57 PM) *
I've ordered one just to try it out. The ui looks much nicer than the Helix one.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 17 2019, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2019, 08:12 AM
I know from Jay's video that you can record wet and dry via USB, I emailed Hotone to ask if you can send the dry signal back into the Ampero for re-amping. Their reply is below, I don't fully understand what they mean. Maybe it's just the terminology I don't get.

Can you open my eyes please?

Hi Phil:

You can send dry signal to DAW through the USB of Ampero and receive sculpted audio from DAW through USB. And this audio would then go through our effects chain and will be output from either XLR or TS jack of Ampero. And if you want to get that output signal to your DAW, you would need another audio interface to do it.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 18 2019, 11:15 PM
You'll need a second audio interface to re-amp back to your DAW.

Out your computer.
Into the Ampero.
Out the Ampero.
Into second audio interface.
Into DAW.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 19 2019, 04:09 AM
PHIL: KEN Nailed it!! That's what they are saying. You can re amp through it but you'd need to run it in to a second interface to get it back in to your daw. I think you are running out of your helix with audio in to an interface currently? So it would be just connect the xlr outputs from the ampero to your audio interface instead. smile.gif I've always found that software reamping is the most efficient way to go for home recording. I tried to do re amping with my 11 rack and it was just a bit of a pain in the neck. So much so, that I just started using overloud instead for all re amping. Now that overloud THU supports amp profiling (ish) it's sort of a software version of a kemper which is killer!!

Back to the AMPERO!!!

Here is a quick test (NOT FOR KEN OF COURSE) to answer the question. "BUT WILL IT DJENT?"
Since that's the question I'm gonna get asked, so let's get it sorted smile.gif

Also, here is the preset that I'm using in this vid.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Djenty_Todd1.prst.zip ( 766bytes ) Number of downloads: 1458

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 19 2019, 08:14 AM

Sounds good to my ears Todd, thanks for sharing smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 18 2019, 10:15 PM) *
You'll need a second audio interface to re-amp back to your DAW.

Out your computer.
Into the Ampero.
Out the Ampero.
Into second audio interface.
Into DAW.

Thanks Ken,

I sent them this reply:

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. I currently use a Helix which I send into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 via xlr and use the USB for dry signal and reamping.

Is that what you mean?

And they replied:

Hi Phil:

Yes, you are correct with that method.

I don't re-amp very often but sometimes I like to so I always record a wet and dry signal. Sometimes I just modify the wet signal a little but sometimes it's nice to play around with the dry signal. Jay didn't think you could re-amp with it though, I'll let him know.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 19 2019, 09:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2019, 04:21 AM
Thanks phil smile.gif I am really impressed so far with this unit. It's got a touch interface thats as easy to use as a big mouse driven editor app, and I dig the fx and amps and cabs. I'm gonna make some killer presets on this thing. I don't actually need my big 11 rack and midi foot controller anymore. This little guy has all the tone and it's a fraction of the size/weight and it's got a cool wah built in which is the one thing I didnt like on my 11 rack which is why I added the hotone wah. Well, this one has a hotone wah already in it wink.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 19 2019, 03:14 AM) *
Sounds good to my ears Todd, thanks for sharing smile.gif

Thanks Ken,

I sent them this reply:

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. I currently use a Helix which I send into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 via xlr and use the USB for dry signal and reamping.

Is that what you mean?

And they replied:

Hi Phil:

Yes, you are correct with that method.

I don't re-amp very often but sometimes I like to so I always record a wet and dry signal. Sometimes I just modify the wet signal a little but sometimes it's nice to play around with the dry signal. Jay didn't think you could re-amp with it though, I'll let him know.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:05 PM