2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Iron Maiden, (for fans)
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 10:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey again,

I said I would make an Iron Maiden threat to share some interests with all the Iron Maiden fans on this page, so here I am. We will be talking mostly about both the technical and melodic aspect of this great band's music, but feel free to leave any comments at all. For the people aren't Iron Maiden fans, you can still come and comment, but I am afraid this thread won't be very interesting for you; if you do wish to become a fan, however, you may check out my list of favourite songs on the other topic, and they should be some of the most popular ones.

1. So first of all, please give me 5 of your favourite Iron Maiden songs, and try to choose wisely... wink.gif
(I know Iron Maiden has hundreds of extremely cool songs, but give it a try)

2. For each song, explain why you chose it. Was it a cool and soothing intro, a wicked solo, cool lyrics, a nice and catchy melody ? Up to you.

3. What do YOU think Iron Maiden accomplishes greatly in their songs ? I can give you a short list that you can add to if you want, or choose from it.

- Harmonization (Smith, Murray and sometimes Gers; check out The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg)
- Melodic, soothing intros and outros for certain songs, with a progression leading to a heavy, but melodic, tune.
- Deep and meaningful, often with historical references.
- Well thought out solos that always stick to the melody of the song.

4. Now to the solos. Which guitarist do you think is the best at writing appropriate solos ? Why ?

That's gonna be enough, I think. Please post any other relevant comments about Iron Maiden if you wish, and I hope you haven't experienced this as a boring survey... tongue.gif

Alexander

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Apr 18 2009, 10:38 AM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 18 2009, 11:56 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hi again smile.gif

I'm in a bit of a hurry today, but I'll post later tonight or tomorrow!
Then I'll give you my answers smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 12:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 18 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Hi again smile.gif

I'm in a bit of a hurry today, but I'll post later tonight or tomorrow!
Then I'll give you my answers smile.gif

Actually I'm in a hurry too, so I shouldn't be on this site so much... I just tend to procrastinate instead of doing my homework for French... smile.gif Nice to see that one fan has initiated contact with my thread ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 18 2009, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
1. So first of all, please give me 5 of your favourite Iron Maiden songs, and try to choose wisely... wink.gif
The Wicker Man
Has an amazing intro , I love it when the 2 guitar kicks in, also has great lyrics + solo:D

The Trooper
Mad gallopping power right here, I've played this live and the song is just amazing:D

Can I play with Madness
A bit of a party song:D METAL STYLE!!!!!!! Just love it, love the melody/chorus. I'ts so fun! I've played this one as well.
Fear of the dark
Epic intro, espescially with crowd chants!:D
Number of the beast
This song is just epic:D.

3. What do YOU think Iron Maiden accomplishes greatly in their songs ? I can give you a short list that you can add to if you want, or choose from it.

- Harmonization (Smith, Murray and sometimes Gers; check out The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg)
- Melodic, soothing intros and outros for certain songs, with a progression leading to a heavy, but melodic, tune.

Lol, you nailed it. Can't add anything.

4. Now to the solos. Which guitarist do you think is the best at writing appropriate solos ? Why ?

Well, you see, dave is more "shreddy" while Adrian has more bluesy influences, noticable. I like Adrian's a bit more, since they seem a bit less shred, and a bit more melodic. And yes, also a bit more playable for nooby's like me! biggrin.gif They are both amazing, and they complete one another perfectly! Gers is always trashed on, but I think he's amazing. He could pose a bit less, but he IS a part of Iron Maiden.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 04:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 18 2009, 04:31 PM) *
The Wicker Man
Has an amazing intro , I love it when the 2 guitar kicks in, also has great lyrics + solo:D

The Trooper
Mad gallopping power right here, I've played this live and the song is just amazing:D

Can I play with Madness
A bit of a party song:D METAL STYLE!!!!!!! Just love it, love the melody/chorus. I'ts so fun! I've played this one as well.
Fear of the dark
Epic intro, espescially with crowd chants!:D
Number of the beast
This song is just epic:D.

Lol, you nailed it. Can't add anything.

Well, you see, dave is more "shreddy" while Adrian has more bluesy influences, noticable. I like Adrian's a bit more, since they seem a bit less shred, and a bit more melodic. And yes, also a bit more playable for nooby's like me! biggrin.gif They are both amazing, and they complete one another perfectly! Gers is always trashed on, but I think he's amazing. He could pose a bit less, but he IS a part of Iron Maiden.

Thanks, Jesse, this was most interesting... Actually for the 3 you could pick out of the list the one you think they are best at, but thank you ! biggrin.gif People have also told me they prefer Adrian for his melodic approach, but I don't know why I'm still attracted to Dave's solos... I guess he gives the songs a much heavier tune, even though myself I can only a couple of solos by this guy, which are progressive and VERY melodic.

I can, for example, recommend some solos by Dave:
- the first Powerslave solo, very progressive, filled with trilled and nice ascents, you should download the tabs smile.gif
- The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg solo, which has about the same nice progression, but a bit heavier and trickier to nail down
- the second solo of The Clansman, which is basically a "twin-solo" (made up term :S) to Gers' first solo. I think I prefer Gers' solo, but then Dave does throw in some nice licks
- the Blood Brothers solo (I believe the first one is played by Dave, correct me if I'm wrong) is also very nice, and takes the song to another level...

That's it, I think. I have some other solos I could recommend, but those are the main ones, which I suggest anybody learns, as they aren't as complicated as most others.

Alexander wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2009, 04:49 PM
Instructor

This is very difficult for me because I too many Maiden's songs. But I'll choose the one that come to mind now.
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Wasted Years, Alexander the great, Run to the hills.

2. For each song, explain why you chose it. Was it a cool and soothing intro, a wicked solo, cool lyrics, a nice and catchy melody ? Up to you.

The Rime of the ancient mariner: This is Iron Maiden masterpiece for me. All their style aspects are covered in this awesome song. The galloping guitars, the harmonized guitars, the I - VI - VII chord progression, the killer solos, bruce's melodies and Harris bass long atmospheres. Everything is brilliant.

Aces High: This song is powerful. I love the guitar melodies, the verse and the chorus.

Wasted Years: The chorus of this song is the best I heard from them. It's a metal hit. I used to play the intro as a picking solo when I was starting to play the guitar. smile.gif

Alexander the great: I love the most epic Maiden's song and after the Rime this one is my other favourite. The into guitar phrases are amazing but the most important thing for me in this song is how the music evolves with the lyrics. Just perfect!

Run to the hills: This one is a battle hymn. The chorus is a metal classic and I love it. I could have chosen many other songs but this one was the most played cover with my metal band Damnation.

They use different elements that contributes to make their songs awesome. I think that it is the combination of this things:

A. Killer harmonized guitar melodies.
B. Maiden's patented chord progressions.
C. Bruce Dickinson voice and interpretation.
D. Guitar solos.
E. Harris important bass prescence in the mix.
F. Nicko's tom fills.

My favourite is Adrian Smith because he composes the perfect solo for each song. BTW Murray's legatos are a part very important in every Maiden song.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
berko
Apr 18 2009, 04:53 PM
1. Children of the Damned

Basically the very first Iron Maiden song I heard! Excellent acoustic intro, insane vocals, I love the verse and bridge very much!

2. Reincarnation of Benjamin

Love the phrygian dominant scale use in this one. The solo is pretty unique compared to other Iron maiden songs from the 80's... The lyrics are great, the theme of the whole Matter Of life and death album is interesting!

3. Wasted Years

A very catchy intro with the open hi E string, insane (although a bit stock-like) solo, and a very cool chorus! I love it's dynamics.

4. These Colors Don't Run

This song is also from the Matter of life and death album which is one of my favorites (mainly due to its recording quality... the rhythm lines are mixed very well the bass, the drums are tuned perfect and and it's not ripped from a vinyl disc...). The staccato intro is awesome, the chorus is also a big + in it!

5. The Trooper

Well, the most basic iron maiden song i guess. I was playing it recently on a rehearsal. It's a very simple song but that is it's main strength! I love the lyrics, the intro and the galloping chorus.

The great thing in Iron Maiden song is, IMO, the wisely applied bass of Steve Harris with a cleverly mixed tone. That bass tone definitely created a very strong atmosphere, and it's also clinging with a "metalish" sound. I won't even mention the guitar harmonies, they are basic, they created the sound of the new wave of heavy metal. Clever rhythm guitar tracks (simple but strong) and some tasty licks in solos (although the solos are sometimes the weak points of their songs... they are too repetitive I think). And of course... this would still be "only" good if it wasn't for Bruce's vocals...

As I said, the solos are (for me) a bit repetitive. Dave does his legato stuff in E minor for 16 bars or so, Adrian does his bluesy bends for another 16 bars in a different box in E minor (some blue notes here and there). These solos are very effective, and especially in the eighties, they were a must in every metal song. The tone is very well put together, so no negative comments on that. They play aggressively and all the solos pretty much suit their respective songs they belong to, but no more than that.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 05:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2009, 05:49 PM) *

This is very difficult for me because I too many Maiden's songs. But I'll choose the one that come to mind now.
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Wasted Years, Alexander the great, Run to the hills.

The Rime of the ancient mariner: This is Iron Maiden masterpiece for me. All their style aspects are covered in this awesome song. The galloping guitars, the harmonized guitars, the I - VI - VII chord progression, the killer solos, bruce's melodies and Harris bass long atmospheres. Everything is brilliant.

Aces High: This song is powerful. I love the guitar melodies, the verse and the chorus.

Wasted Years: The chorus of this song is the best I heard from them. It's a metal hit. I used to play the intro as a picking solo when I was starting to play the guitar. smile.gif

Alexander the great: I love the most epic Maiden's song and after the Rime this one is my other favourite. The into guitar phrases are amazing but the most important thing for me in this song is how the music evolves with the lyrics. Just perfect!

Run to the hills: This one is a battle hymn. The chorus is a metal classic and I love it. I could have chosen many other songs but this one was the most played cover with my metal band Damnation.

They use different elements that contributes to make their songs awesome. I think that it is the combination of this things:

A. Killer harmonized guitar melodies.
B. Maiden's patented chord progressions.
C. Bruce Dickinson voice and interpretation.
D. Guitar solos.
E. Harris important bass prescence in the mix.
F. Nicko's tom fills.

My favourite is Adrian Smith because he composes the perfect solo for each song. BTW Murray's legatos are a part very important in every Maiden song.

Thank you everyone, and especially Gabriel, for your contributions...

Gabriel, I was wondering whether you could do some Iron Maiden song-lessons. Full-song lessons aren't necessary, but if you could make some lessons on for example solos in Fear of the Dark and Dance of Death I would highly appreciate it... biggrin.gif I am a great Iron Maiden fan, and I've seen in your lessons that you are extremely competent when it comes to Iron Maiden style music...

Alexander biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 18 2009, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Apr 18 2009, 06:17 PM) *
Thank you everyone, and especially Gabriel, for your contributions...

Gabriel, I was wondering whether you could do some Iron Maiden song-lessons. Full-song lessons aren't necessary, but if you could make some lessons on for example solos in Fear of the Dark and Dance of Death I would highly appreciate it... biggrin.gif I am a great Iron Maiden fan, and I've seen in your lessons that you are extremely competent when it comes to Iron Maiden style music...

Alexander biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...en-masterclass/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-maiden-lesson/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...maiden-lesson2/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-maiden-style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/dave-murray-style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/gallop-workout/

smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2009, 05:27 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
1+2

Powerslave
--It's one of there classic epics, The verse riff is still one of the most metal riffs I have ever heard. I have never tired of this song not even once. The guitar tone is great, the bass is right in your face, high in the mix, the drums are beastly, the vocals are god-like, and the lyrics are just fantastic. Weave a great story that you can get lost in. Plus Daves solo (the first one), every time I hear it I just feel like I'm having an out of body experience, Its gorgeous.

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
--If I was forced to pick a single favorite song in music, It would be this. First off, I love the poem, Samuel Taylor Coleridge did a great job on it. And Iron Maiden's adaptation is sheer brilliance. The music is tied together with the lyrics every step of the way. They even worked some quotes from the poem in there effortlessly flowing perfectly with the song. This probably has one of my favorite solo's from Iron Maiden in it, Adrian Smiths solo, and live this song is just an absolute wonder to behold, Simply fantastic.

Wasted Years
--This is a very important song to me, It has a lot of personal meaning, it helped me through some rough times in my life and still does today, Its gives me strength and motivation, Makes me feel like I have home no matter where I am. And it has my favorite solo from Adrian Smith in it. The solo contains all the emotion that bruce sings into a musical representation, Hearing the solo is enough to get me through the day.

For The Greater Good Of God
--Lyrically this is one of Steve Harris' best songs, ever, And musically as well. The bass lines in here are just pulverizing, and the guitar melodies are some of the most catchy, unforgettable hooks youll ever hear. Nicko is on top of his game, and the drums really shine on the song I think.

Journeyman
--I could live my entire life based off the chorus to this song, 'I know what I want, I say what I want, and no one can take it away'. The song is powerful to strike even tears of awe into anyone who hears it, Or at least hears it how I do. This song got me through one of the single roughest times in my life, And It still to this day, Reminds me that there is always something worth living for. Bruce is at his best hear, And every syllable he sings is just filled with an ungodly amount of passion, Just beautiful.

Musically they achieve a sound and style that no single band has ever come closed to replicating in the past 35 years. You will never mistake Iron Maiden for anyone else, You hear Dave soloing, bang, Its Iron Maiden. You hear that bass tone, Bang, its Iron Maiden. The drums, the vocals, the lyrics, there approach to structure and performance is completely unique and original and when you hear Iron Maiden you know its a band the refuses to conform or give in, There in it for the love and passion of music, and devote every performance and every ounce of energy for there fans, Because they truly are there for them.

Aside from that, They have remained completely unphased in there live performances forever. You see Iron Maiden live, you will NEVER forget it. Bruce's antics and running around, Steve signature bass firing, the trade off solos between Adrian, Dave and Janick, and the ever cheerful one man party Nicko, All combine to make the most incredible performance ever. Its more than just a concert, Its a celebration of music and the power it holds, You will see every person there: White, black, asian, hispanic, American, British, German, Christian, Athesit, Muslim, Jew, man, woman, child, son, daughter, mother, father all come togethere for there love of Iron Maiden.

I think all the guitarist write appropriate solos, no doubt about that. But Dave Murray is my personal favorite guitarist, and my single greatest influence. His blues-rock influenced style has just an absolute unforgettable tone with the most impeccable phrasing ever. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate, Nomad, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Powerslave, And countless other songs are testaments to this mans incredible ability, every solo, no matter if its first or 5,000th time playing it, is always completely from the heart.

If Iron Maiden was a religion, I'd be an Orthodox Ed Head! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 05:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 18 2009, 06:23 PM) *

Man you are a true Maiden fan, I've now bookmarked those lessons, but I was thinking more about some ACTUAL Iron Maiden material, and not only well-made "In the style of" lessons. Don't get me wrong, I love all this other stuff as well... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Jun 10 2009, 07:39 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 18 2009, 05:36 PM
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Apr 18 2009, 06:31 PM) *
Man you are a true, I've now bookmarked those lessons, but I was thinking more about some ACTUAL Iron Maiden material, and not only well-made "In the style of" lessons. Don't get me wrong, I love all this other stuff as well... biggrin.gif

I don't think it's allowed doing actual lessons of Iron Maiden material I'm afraid..
That's why there's so many "in the style of..." lessons smile.gif

Copyright infringement isn't something to take lightly smile.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 18 2009, 06:27 PM) *
If Iron Maiden was a religion, I'd be an Orthodox Ed Head! cool.gif

IF??
I'm living the life of an Ed Head all the time laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 05:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow, this is truly touching, The Uncreator. It seems you have a good taste in music smile.gif For all other Iron Maiden fans, maybe we could start discussing solos soon... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2009, 05:48 PM

IF??
I'm living the life of an Ed Head all the time laugh.gif

True laugh.gif

We must unite and build a churce that resembles the cover of Powerslave! cool.gif

As for solo's.....

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 18 2009, 05:52 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 18 2009, 06:48 PM) *
True laugh.gif

We must unite and build a churce that resembles the cover of Powerslave! cool.gif

As for solo's.....

That would be AWESOME laugh.gif
I wanna be a Church Of Iron Maiden High Priest tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 18 2009, 05:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, we could make an "Iron Maiden Church" fan site, like a virtual church with a hierarchy and stuff like that, each member having different privileges... tongue.gif Not a bad idea, actually. And there is a pretty cool Powerslave-looking pyramid in Dubai, that we could use for our own church, maybe I'll find a picture of it... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Apr 18 2009, 05:59 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 19 2009, 05:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good news, fellow Iron Maidenists tongue.gif I found the picture I was looking for, it's the entrance of the Wafi Center in Dubai...

I thought it looked a bit like the Powerslave pyramid, but you can always disagree smile.gif

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Apr 19 2009, 05:29 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 19 2009, 06:00 PM
All we need is Eddie atop the building and all the Maiden fans in front of him forming our army cool.gif

+Quote Post
enforcer
Apr 19 2009, 07:46 PM
Hey people, I've been an Iron Maiden fan since I've been 9 years old, and I remember going out to our local metal "CAVE" when I was 10 years old all by myself to buy the album fear of the dark.

Simply I can't chose 5 best iron maiden songs, not even 30 best ones, because generally my favorite songs in a album consist of the majority of the songs... But I will try to chose the 5 that generally people are unaware of. I mean, pieces like the Trooper, Fear of the Dark are generally the favorite of everyone, I mean, everyone even no-iron maiden fans too. So there you go:

1- Deja Vu (from somewhere in time)

Man, I love that synth guitars and the fast tempo of this song. I believe this song gives the essence of the album, I mean it's pure somewhere in time style combined with pure maiden trademark sound (a very similar sample from the album is the Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner). And the main melody is one of the most complete and remarkable of maiden style. That song was literally killing me some months ago, I was at the gym, doing some warm up cardio-running, I was listening to music on my mp3 player, suddenly shuffle played a trick on me, and it started to play Deja Vu, at the end I felt a little pain on my chest, I checked my heart beat rate and it was 190!!! I didn't notice it but I was running at 16km/h for 6 minutes!!!

2-Prophecy (from Seventh son of a Seventh Son)

This is a epic classic. I just love the twin guitar harmonies on this one, with epic vocals, multiple characterizations of Bruce voice, and the story too. And the intro and the outro are both ones of the greatest in maiden history. A perfect work...

This song has the traces of many other Maiden titles, containing heavy dual guitar harmonies, like the Flight of Icarus, the Flash of the Blade etc...

3-Purgatory (From Killers)

Even though maiden style was still crawling to its supremacy days, this one is a precursor of what's to come. Di'anno's voice is perfectly fit on this song. The song is strinking with a speedy puch and the middle part along with "Please take me away" is great!

4-22 Acacia Avenue (from Number of the Beast)

This song is a killer one. The second member of Charlotte the Harlot Trilogy Legacy (1. Charlotte the Harlot / 2. 22 Acacia Avenue / 3. From Here to Eternity) Perfect composition, perfect vocals, and once again, a song free of commercial doubts of popularity worries. I believe maiden does it's best works when they are free of this kind of stuff. And that is why they had weaker songs in virtual XI or No Prayer for the Dying era.

5- To tame a Land (from Piece of mind)

I chose this one but actually this is a song representing others too. To Tame a Land is a direct descendant of Gengis Khan, and Father to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, Seventh son of a Seventh Son (the song) type epic content, and many recent maiden songs like the Nomad, Ghost of the Navigator, the Clansman, Dance of Death, the Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg. This is a more progressive opening to the style of maiden. And I believe this is where the band is headed.

Maiden is a great success in so many areas of the music business. There are lots of musical aspects mentioned, but there is another aspect that no one mentioned, so I am going to mention it anyways:

Commercial Success. Who among you didn't had or even more vaguely never saw a Maiden T-Shirt? I personally had a collection of those, and also I bought every album in cassette format, and later in CD format. And after they started to sell collections of sets of early years, I bought them once again. This is a great sign of commercial success in my opinion.

I can't chose one maiden guitarist, but Dave and Adrian in early years, were a great team. My solo preferences focus on dual guitar solos on those. Janick has a more hard and heavy influence on maiden songs, maybe a little more rhythmic influence than melodic influence.

Personally I think the three guitar era had a significant impact on maiden style. It is a little burdensome to the "in your face clean maiden sound" and with the combination of over-compressing madness of 2000's and the lack of the headroom sound requires a more organized and more eq'd guitar sound but that changes the whole thing. But maiden is maiden and I still love them!

Cheers people!

This post has been edited by enforcer: Apr 19 2009, 07:49 PM

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 19 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
That was a really interesting comment, enforcer ! biggrin.gif You seem to have a lot of Maidenesque experience ! Have you been to any of their concerts ? Feel free to share some mind-blowing events if you want, we younger people might have missed out on that part sad.gif I haven't been to any of their concerts yet sad.gif but I hope I will soon !

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:42 PM