2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Time 101, Part 1 - Notes
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2007, 01:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hungus @ Jul 26 2007, 07:03 AM) *
Hey Andrew (or anyone else) just wondering if I can get abit of help with something... I wasnt sure where to post this but considering it is to do with timing I thought this might be the right place, if not just delete my post and maybe I will make a thread asking the question. but anyway here goes...

I was looking at this piece of music here earlier:
[attachment=1084:attachment]
and I couldnt really figure out how it was suposed to be played. I have already read your threads on musical notation and timing but I couldnt spot these symbols in any of the threads. Some insight into how I should be looking at this would be greatly apreciated. this bit (and the rest of the song) sounds really awesome and I would just love to be able to crank it.... Just try playing it yourself with some thick heavy distortion smile.gif
edit:
sorry about it poking out the side like that but im pretty sure I did make the image within the size guidelines... maybe I will have to figure out exactly how wide I can make images.

The image size is fine smile.gif

The way to read this is as a sequence of 8th notes and 16th notes.

Looking at the first 3 notes, they are all joined together, but that doesn't make any difference to anything. The first note is an 8th note, the 2nd 2 are 16th notes. Why? Because they have an extra bar (they are sharing it but it applies to both of them).

So we have, 8th-16th-16th

The next 3 notes have the bar between the first 2, so we get:

16th-16th-8th

The next unit of 4 notes has that extra bar for alll of them, so it would be 16th-16th-16th-16th

After that the rythm repeats.

Let me know if this answers the question smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungus
Jul 26 2007, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Awesome thanks Andrew, that deffinitly cleared it up for me. sounds slightly difficult for such a beginner as me but I will deffinitly give it a good shot tomorrow.. but now I am just going to read a theory lesson or two before I go to bed. I think I am really starting to get it now (theory) and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2007, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Jul 26 2007, 09:09 AM) *
Awesome thanks Andrew, that deffinitly cleared it up for me. sounds slightly difficult for such a beginner as me but I will deffinitly give it a good shot tomorrow.. but now I am just going to read a theory lesson or two before I go to bed. I think I am really starting to get it now (theory) and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside tongue.gif

Excellent!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Dec 2 2007, 06:52 AM
GMC:er
The astute among you will have realized that we could get the same effect by tying a quarter "not" to an eighth note like this:

Just a typo, I was reading it and was like, wait this is how not to tie it! lol Its obviously suppose to be "note".

Great lesson

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 2 2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks - I fixed it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:44 AM