Pickup Trouble - Question About Emgs, Im in over my head... but only by a bit!
Spreedmaster
Dec 3 2007, 05:38 PM
GMC:er
I just but the KFK set of 81/85 EMGs, and mid-way through installing them I hit a problem, the volume/tone pots are connect by less than an inch and a half of wire and theres at least 4 inches between the feckin holes in my axe. So do I cut them apart and re-solder them back with a longer wire(I shouldnt have started this I dont even have a soldering iron! laugh.gif ). And if i do what form of wire do I use to lengthen the wire with the green yoke (small green square thing says this on it: 104K 100V)

Can someone help quick my poor axe is lying midway through surgery on my bed! (which is a mess tongue.gif ). The guitar is a B.C. Rich WMD SOB if thats of any importance, looks like this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 3 2007, 05:48 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Get a low watt soldering iron (soldering pen they are called, or?)

Yes, you do remove the short thread and put a longer one there. You could use any sort of wire really but try to use the same thickness as the others for better result.

I don't know what a "yoke" is and not what the sign means, maybe it's tellign that the plastic isolation limit goes at 100V? I don't think it matters.

While you're at it you should look up the 18V mod for that set of pickups.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jølle
Dec 3 2007, 06:00 PM
I must admit that i do not know much about plugging in new pickups yourself, but just wanted to say that i think EMG picups are a bad choise. Not that there is something wrong with it, but the way i see it, most heavy metal guitar players use EMG picups. And since you have a B.C. Rich, i must assume that you are a metalhead as well. I think that the sound you create from the EMG picups sounds to "clean", kind of like something you could make on a computer, if you like it that way it's fine. But then your band/you are going to sound to much like most other metal bands. Personally i use Humbuckers in my guitars, because i think you get a more old school "raw" sound out of it and you don't sound like everyone else does... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 3 2007, 06:54 PM
Uhh, like a lot of "old school" metal is played w/ the 81/85 combo, and the EMG is a humbucker...

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 3 2007, 06:59 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Jølle @ Dec 3 2007, 06:00 PM) *
i think EMG picups are a bad choise.
*snip*
Personally i use Humbuckers in my guitars, because i think you get a more old school "raw" sound out of it and you don't sound like everyone else does... smile.gif

EMG-81 and EMG-85 are humbuckers too. So your statement there is rather unclear really.

QUOTE (Jølle @ Dec 3 2007, 06:00 PM) *
I think that the sound you create from the EMG picups sounds to "clean", kind of like something you could make on a computer

Don't know how long you've played but it's a common beginners mistake is to use too much distortion. Volume knob on the guitar at 10 and the gain on the amp turned to full.

This 81/85 EMG set is a fine piece of work IMO.

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Dec 3 2007, 09:39 PM
I went to go get a soldering iron but the cheapest one in the hardware shop was €38, thats $55! What a rip-off. So I bought one off ebay, now the waiting game begins. And i found out the green yoke is a capacitor.

I love the clear sound of the EMGs, Im trying to get the clearest, most defined sound from the guitar while distorted. Are digital effects clearer than analog effects, or is it solely down to the qualty of the pedal/processor?

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 5 2007, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (Jølle @ Dec 3 2007, 12:00 PM) *
I must admit that i do not know much about plugging in new pickups yourself, but just wanted to say that i think EMG picups are a bad choise. Not that there is something wrong with it, but the way i see it, most heavy metal guitar players use EMG picups. And since you have a B.C. Rich, i must assume that you are a metalhead as well. I think that the sound you create from the EMG picups sounds to "clean", kind of like something you could make on a computer, if you like it that way it's fine. But then your band/you are going to sound to much like most other metal bands. Personally i use Humbuckers in my guitars, because i think you get a more old school "raw" sound out of it and you don't sound like everyone else does... smile.gif

Jolle,

I see your relatively new to the board so welcome!

EMG pickups are hotrodded from hell so I'm not sure what you mean by they "sound too clean". I agree with MickeM that too much distortion is often the mistake made by most beginner metalheads. The second mistake people make is thinking their guitar contributes more to their sound than it actually does.

Please don't anyone think that if you buy a certain pickup you will sound like an entire genre. Any experienced musician knows that what you get out of your guitar is about 90% playability, sustain, and signal strength, and about 10% tone. Don't get me wrong you can hear a vast difference between pickups but at the end of the day I can play death metal with friggen Texas Specials or Jazz with 18v EMG's if I really wanted to. It may not be the absolute best but it will be 90% wink.gif

Back to the topic: ANY wire will not work. Different wires are rated for different resistances based on their gauge. I'm not exactly sure which wires you have a problem with but if you need to use new wire use anything between 20 and 28 gauge. Get a pen soldering iron as suggested above and do NOT get the iron too close to the pickups as it can ruin them. Here is the link to your wiring schematics. Good luck and have fun!

Hardtail

QUOTE (Spreedmaster @ Dec 3 2007, 03:39 PM) *
Are digital effects clearer than analog effects, or is it solely down to the qualty of the pedal/processor?

The rule of thumb I use is this: Go digital (cuz its cheaper) until you are incredibly familiar with what the different effects can do and what ones you want to use all the time. THEN, save your money and buy analog.

If you already know what you want go Analog. Once you are a master of effects you will begin to work high quality digital stuff back in. For instance, digital echo effects aren't bad at all. Some high end digital compressors are good... etc.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:40 PM