Sounds Of The Mixolydian B6 Mode, Learn the Chords, Scale, Triads and Arpeggios Built From Mixo b6
The Professor
Apr 23 2013, 08:42 AM
Theory Instructor
The Mixolydian b6 Mode

In this series of articles we will be taking a look at the different sounds that you can build from any mode in the Melodic Minor scale, in particular the chords, scale, triad and arpeggio that go with each mode in the Melodic Minor scale system.

In today’s lesson, let’s take a look at the chords, scale, triad and arpeggio that are built from the 5th mode of Melodic Minor, the Mixolydian b6 Mode.

Besides learning a fingering or two for this important scale, it is good to know the other melodic and harmonic devices that are built from the Mixolydian b6 Mode so that you can apply these to your practice routine, as well as build your theory chops so that you recognize when to use the Mixolydian b6 Mode in your soloing and song writing.

Here is a quick look at each device from the Mixolydian b6 Mode, with further details provided below to read further.

Attached Image

Mixolydian b6 Triad and Chords

To begin, there are two main chords that are built from any Mixolydian b6 Mode, the Major Triad and the 7b13 chord.

The Major Triad is built from the Root, 3rd and 5th note of the Mixolydian b6 Mode, and the 7b13 chord is built by using the Root, 3rd, 5th, b7th, 9th, 11th and b13th of the same mode.

Each of these items can be played as a whole, to produce the triad/chord, or they can be plucked one note at a time to produce arpeggiated versions, both of which you saw in the tab/notation example above.

Since we only have 4 fingers to grab notes with on the fretboard, the chord for this mode is often “shrunk” down to four or five notes, as in the example above. In this case, the Root-3rd-b13th-b7th were used to build the chord, allowing you to hear the quality of the chord, Dominant 7th, and the color of the extension, the b13th, without having to rely on a 6-note chord.

So, in the key of G, the major triad would be:

G B D or R 3 5 of the Mixolydian b6 Scale

And the 7b13 chord in G would be:

G B D F A C Eb or R 3 5 b7 9 11 b13

This knowledge will help you learn to transpose these notes around the neck and into different keys as you learn to build different triads and four-note Mixolydian b13 Mode-based chords in all 12 keys.

Theory Exercise

Write out the note for each Major Triad and 7b13 chord (4 or 7 note versions) in all 12 keys.

Post your answers below and I will correct them and give you feedback if you are having any trouble writing out the notes of these triads and chords.

Mixolydian b13 Scale

The Mixolydian b13 Mode is built from the following interval structure:

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole

In this pattern, whole equals a whole step (2 frets on the guitar) and half equals a half-step (1 fret on the guitar).

So, if you apply that formula to the key of G, as in the example above, you get the following notes.

G (W) A (W) B (H) C (H) D (H) Eb (W) F (W) G

Or, you will also see this scale written in numbers as such:

1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7 1

The Mixolydian Mode, and the Mixolydian b6 Mode, are both modes of the Major and Melodic Minor scale systems, and they are also very closely related.

This means that you can think of the Mixolydian b6 Mode, in theory or on the guitar, as a Mixolydian Mode with a b6.

So, you can take any Mixolydian Mode fingering that you know, lower the 6th note by 1 fret (half-step) and you have yourself a Mixolydian b6 Mode fingering.

Theory Exercise

Write out the notes of the Mixolydian b6 Mode, in all 12 keys.

Post your answers below and I will check them out and post feedback, as well as answer any questions you may have on this scale construction.

Learning the structures behind each mode that you are learning on the guitar can help shore up your theory knowledge, as well as make it easier for you to apply these modes to your solos and song writing as you learn to relate them to chords, triads and arpeggios.

If you have any questions or comments, post them below.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Vulpine
Apr 23 2013, 06:41 PM
GMC:er
hey Prof. I am working on this particular scale and I guess i would like to ask I could sub the first degree like for the

for instance

1st degree - Major, Dom 7th, dom 11th

2nd degree - half diminished , minor 7th (no 5th)

stuff like that Im out of time to continue the different chord harmonies that I know of for this mode but if you could help out with other chords I could sub instead of playing a major or minor chord = ) I hope this make sense

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 23 2013, 07:11 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Apr 23 2013, 06:41 PM) *
hey Prof. I am working on this particular scale and I guess i would like to ask I could sub the first degree like for the

for instance

1st degree - Major, Dom 7th, dom 11th

2nd degree - half diminished , minor 7th (no 5th)

stuff like that Im out of time to continue the different chord harmonies that I know of for this mode but if you could help out with other chords I could sub instead of playing a major or minor chord = ) I hope this make sense

Hey,

yeah that makes sense, you could think of this scale over the 1st or 2nd degree chords like you mentioned. I also like it over a b7 chord, so playing G mixo b6 over F7, great sound!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Apr 24 2013, 12:35 AM
GMC:er
ok im back so yea like I was saying im just going to go over the chord harmonies of each degree of the scale that I know of and maybe if I have left something out in a degree u could share more

1st Degree - Major chord, Dom 7th, dom 11th

2nd degree - half diminished, minor 7th (no 5th)

3rd degree - half diminished, Dominant 7th (no 5th)

4th degree (or 4th note in the scale) - minor chord , min 6th

5th degree - minor chord, Min 7th

6th degree - augmented chord, major 13th (no 5th), Major 7th (no 5th)

7th degree - Major chord , Dom 7th

So thats all that I have so far regarding harmony of this mode , Professor If you know any more feel free to add like you mentioned

G7b13th which I take G would be the root chord or 1 degree

+Quote Post
The Professor
Apr 24 2013, 06:43 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Apr 24 2013, 12:35 AM) *
ok im back so yea like I was saying im just going to go over the chord harmonies of each degree of the scale that I know of and maybe if I have left something out in a degree u could share more

1st Degree - Major chord, Dom 7th, dom 11th

2nd degree - half diminished, minor 7th (no 5th)

3rd degree - half diminished, Dominant 7th (no 5th)

4th degree (or 4th note in the scale) - minor chord , min 6th

5th degree - minor chord, Min 7th

6th degree - augmented chord, major 13th (no 5th), Major 7th (no 5th)

7th degree - Major chord , Dom 7th

So thats all that I have so far regarding harmony of this mode , Professor If you know any more feel free to add like you mentioned

G7b13th which I take G would be the root chord or 1 degree

Hey, yeah that all looks good. You are playing over all of the different chords of the parent melodic minor scale. So if you're looking at G7b13 then you're thinking about the chords in C melodic minor. makes sense to me!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:40 AM