3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Worst 5 High Price Guitars You've Ever Played
RIP Dime
Oct 3 2008, 11:21 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 10:41 AM) *
What annoys me most about high end guitars are that a lot of them are artist models but you are paying way over the odds for these guitars and the product hasn't half the quality the original artists has. Does anyone own an artist guitar and what are your thoughts?

Absolutely, I can't stand most artist model guitars, and having someone else's name on my guitar bugs me anyway.

I was totally disappointed by a JEM I played, it played the same as a Prestige model that was less than half the price, same goes for the Dean Dime models, we pay the price because Dime and Vai have ridiculously large endorsement deals. But in reality they are not much better than other high end models of a much lower price, the extras you get for them being an artist model don't make up for the price IMO.

Umm, other high end suckers... I played a couple higher end Japanese Jackson guitars that were nothing special. Ibanez in general disappoint me considering all the praise they get. Gibson SGs and Les Pauls also disappoint me, all the models around $2,000 play like they should be $500 less. Same goes for Fender, I wasn't at all impressed by the craftsmanship. ESP guitars play well, but most of them feel lifeless to me, idk, they just feel like they have no mojo goin' on. PRS guitar are great but they are just ridiculous price wise.

But I did play all these at Guitar Center, if I had some time with them by myself to set them up the way I like, they would all probably rock. The set up is very important, a high end guitar set up by a drunk monkey is a better coffee table than a guitar.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah some shops set the guitars up appalingly but I can tell the difference between that and a generally bad guitar. I must admit with SG's I love SG Specials but hate SG Standards. Specials are well worth £500 ($1000). Fairly cheap for a Gibson and very high quality for the price.

QUOTE (Duncan @ Oct 3 2008, 11:19 AM) *
Can you afford it on top of the XPT700? tongue.gif

I'm seriously considering buying that. I'm just leaving it a bit longer to see if anybody picks it up and if nobody is interested I make take it off your hands. I certainly couldn't make money on it though lol biggrin.gif

The guitar I have been most disappointed with in my entire guitar playing life is a Japanese Fender Jaguar. The American one I always find incredible to play but the Japanese one is terrible. The strings constantly slip off the saddles and it constantly goes out of tune and it sounds empty. The American one is one of my top 10 guitars ever.

And the Japanese one costs about £450 ($900) in this country. Far from cheap.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 3 2008, 11:31 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Oct 3 2008, 12:08 PM
I really actually LOVE Les Pauls wub.gif But that is my opinion...
To tell you the truth I don't really like any Fenders...

Sorry Fender lovers, but I don't like them... sad.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 12:10 PM
QUOTE (Capt.Z @ Oct 3 2008, 12:08 PM) *
I really actually LOVE Les Pauls wub.gif But that is my opinion...
To tell you the truth I don't really like any Fenders...

Sorry Fender lovers, but I don't like them... sad.gif

I'm just creating a bit of debate on things. I love discussing guitars and if people say a guitar is bad I tend to check them out. Many guitars just aren't worth the money and the good ones tend to be worth more than you paid for them in value to you. A Fender that is worthless to you may be the perfect guitar for somebody else.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Oct 3 2008, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 07:10 AM) *
I'm just creating a bit of debate on things. I love discussing guitars and if people say a guitar is bad I tend to check them out. Many guitars just aren't worth the money and the good ones tend to be worth more than you paid for them in value to you. A Fender that is worthless to you may be the perfect guitar for somebody else.

It is very possible... I think that a guitar that is worth more than you pay is the Epiphone prophecy smile.gif
I played one, and I'm definately saving for it! It is so sweet!!

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 12:16 PM
QUOTE (Capt.Z @ Oct 3 2008, 12:12 PM) *
It is very possible... I think that a guitar that is worth more than you pay is the Epiphone prophecy smile.gif
I played one, and I'm definately saving for it! It is so sweet!!

My first guitar was an Epiphone. Lasted me 3 years before I sold it. Great guitar and well worth the money.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 3 2008, 12:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
-All Guitars were set up properly and were played through high end amps so it's up to the guitar-

Worst guitars I've played

1-Ibanez Jem 777 - Looks whack, isn't crafted better than a half-the-price Prestige and sounds like one too
2-Dean Razorback models - crappy trem, cheap woods, cheap crafting-you get a 500$ guitar for 1000$
3-Ibanez Xyphos 7-String - Almost NO sustain although it's string through body and neck trough and a horrible tone
4-Gibson chambered Les Paul - Why buy a les Paul when you get the sound of an SG?
5-Esp Eclipse (les Paul fakes) - Thin and fizzy tone compared to a real paul...

Best Guitars I've played

1-Gibson Les Paul Custom - The tone crushes EVERY(PRS, Caparison,Fender) other guitar and it's crafted perfectly
2-PRS Custom 24 - Just an awesome sounding Guitar with beautiful looks
3-Jackson USA models - High end guitars for a great price (USA prices, not import price)
4- Ibanez Prestige series - Some are weird but most of them sound decent and are crafted perfectly
5- Dean USA models - Overpriced but great guitars!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 3 2008, 12:28 PM) *
-All Guitars were set up properly and were played through high end amps so it's up to the guitar-

Worst guitars I've played

1-Ibanez Jem 777 - Looks whack, isn't crafted better than a half-the-price Prestige and sounds like one too
2-Dean Razorback models - crappy trem, cheap woods, cheap crafting-you get a 500$ guitar for 1000$
3-Ibanez Xyphos 7-String - Almost NO sustain although it's string through body and neck trough and a horrible tone
4-Gibson chambered Les Paul - Why buy a les Paul when you get the sound of an SG?
5-Esp Eclipse (les Paul fakes) - Thin and fizzy tone compared to a real paul...

Best Guitars I've played

1-Gibson Les Paul Custom - The tone crushes EVERY(PRS, Caparison,Fender) other guitar and it's crafted perfectly
2-PRS Custom 24 - Just an awesome sounding Guitar with beautiful looks
3-Jackson USA models - High end guitars for a great price (USA prices, not import price)
4- Ibanez Prestige series - Some are weird but most of them sound decent and are crafted perfectly
5- Dean USA models - Overpriced but great guitars!

This on the best guitars is the exact thing I mean with differing opinions. I hate all of them apart from the PRS Custom 24 which I haven't seen or played so I can't comment. Is the 24 model more than the 22 or less and what are the colours like?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 3 2008, 12:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
The custom has a PRS trem (not bad!) and vintage pickups adn it sounds a bit diffrent because it was carved out for the tremolo springs. The 22 and 24 look almost the same and are available in the same colours. The one I played was dark blue and you could see the wood structure through it and it also had the bird inlays.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 3 2008, 12:39 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 05:34 AM) *
1. Gibson Les Paul (The worst guitar ever in my opinion. Awful looks, Awful sound, Awful playability, far too heavy and just a disgrace)
2. PRS Custom 22 (Nearly made it to number 1. It looks disgusting and I hate the tones. Definitely not a good guitar)
3. Dean Dimebag Razorback (Just a waste of money. Half the money you pay is because it's got Dime's name on it. Not bad as an <£1000 Guitar but awful for over £3000)
4. ESP Alexi Laiho (Dreadful Sound and so far from the quality of his real guitar I'd imagine)
5. Ibanez JEM (Finally got to try one out and I really hate the feel of the neck and the looks. Not easy for me to play)

What are some of your worst guitars you've tried out for over £300 ($650)

This is my opinion by the way. No need to cry. I just want your opinions on high range guitars. Then I can try them out and see what I think. smile.gif

The funny thing is, is that 3 of those are 3 of my favorites. laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have a JEM, a Les Paul, and I'm planning on getting a PRS. I love all of them. You can't really say you hate the sound of the guitar because the sound does come from the amps and effects used also. I bet you've heard music with LP's PRS's Razorbacks, etc. being used and liked it so its not JUST the guitar that sounds bad. tongue.gif

Of course everyone has their own opinion though I'm not criticizing you about anything, I just wanted to point that out.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 12:56 PM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 3 2008, 12:39 PM) *
The funny thing is, is that 3 of those are 3 of my favorites. laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have a JEM, a Les Paul, and I'm planning on getting a PRS. I love all of them. You can't really say you hate the sound of the guitar because the sound does come from the amps and effects used also. I bet you've heard music with LP's PRS's Razorbacks, etc. being used and liked it so its not JUST the guitar that sounds bad. tongue.gif

Of course everyone has their own opinion though I'm not criticizing you about anything, I just wanted to point that out.

I always try the guitars on the same amp. I will like the sound of some bands with Les Pauls like Pearl Jam. I just mean for my style of playing the sound is terrible.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 3 2008, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 11:46 AM) *
I've already done it with a Parker. I got more than I paid for it because of the difference in USA and UK prices. I made 200 pound ($400). Bet I couldn't do that on a Les Paul but I haven't tried I must admit.

Well, I paid about 1500$ less for my Les paul Custom shop when ordering from the US. So selling it here with a huge profit won't be hard.

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Oct 3 2008, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 03:10 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Oct 3 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Well, I paid about 1500$ less for my Les paul Custom shop when ordering from the US. So selling it here with a huge profit won't be hard.

It all depends on what model, what country and many other aspects. But that isn't the argument of this thread. I know a lot of people like Les Paul's but the price they are bought and sold for isn't the issue here. For me I dislike like them more than any other guitar so obviously I wouldn't buy one however expensive or cheap they were.

Which guitars do you dislike for a high price?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 3 2008, 04:13 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Duncan @ Oct 3 2008, 10:44 AM) *
I own a Paul Gilbert PGM301. It was my 18th birthday present from my dad and I absolutely love it. From looks, quality and playability I haven't found a better guitar.

Im with you there, this guitar is stunning! There is no guitar i would rather have now I own it, just brilliant smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 3 2008, 04:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I contribute with anything but just wanted to say I've played my share of high end LTD's, Fenders and Gibsons and I never ever were that impressed with any of them. I always find something "wrong", like a Fender 59 reissue having too fat a neck, a maple neck Telecaster feels wierd with the maple fretboard, LTD (les paul model) sits totally wierd in my grip, Gibson LP didn't sound so much better or feel any better than the Epi I got instead etc etc etc.

That's why I always got cheaper model guitars for myself, guess I'm kind of cheap holding on to my money there but I just can't spend so much money on a guitar spite it's said to be good. I suppose one has to get used to a new guitar no matter if it's high end or low end there's a period of getting comfortable with it.
For such an amount of money I want to fall in love with a guitar insantly, I never did. Same with the guitars I have today, had to get used to 'em.

One guitar that felt nice from the start was the Jackson DK2M but that was rather cheap and doesn't make that list.

So what applies for me is rather to get a guitar that's proven to have high quality, like a Suhr, suffer from hating the feel of it for the first week and then get used to it and have a super guitar.

But since it's this way I seldom dream of new guitars, I know I will not like 'em anyway, so from that point of view it's positive since it's one less account where to spend money laugh.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 04:38 PM
It's a strange one isn't it. I have played on £300 guitars that I've liked more than £1500 guitars. If only somebody could come up with an easy way to get the perfect spec for every guitarist and their specific style. They'd be rich biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 3 2008, 04:50 PM
Only expensive guitar I don't like is the prestige Ibanezs... I don't like the realllly slim necks.

BTW - Les Pauls PWN!

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Oct 3 2008, 11:00 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I only tried 1 expensive guitar sad.gif
a gibson les paul studio.
i have to say i was quite disappointed by the feel(couldn't say about the sound though, because i was using an amp ive never used before)

im not sure about what is great and what isnt great for an expensive, also. i really should try some laugh.gif

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 4 2008, 12:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
I almost forgot...I was also very disappointed by the John Petrucci Signature by Music Man. Unlike the other great guitars by music man, this one very thin and had no soul of it's own.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 4 2008, 12:20 AM
You guys in Europe really take a hit when it comes to the prices of Strats, Les Pauls, Mesa Boogie amps, etc. How are Marshall amps priced over there? Being as they are made in the UK, I figure the price for you is pretty fair, no? I could never afford to pay the prices you guys have to pay for some of the most popular gear.
I recommend checking out pawn shops for gear. That doesn't seem to occur to many, but good deals can be found there. I've pawned off some good gear myself, and have also bought some good gear there.
As for the subject at hand, I can't say that any of the high priced guitars are bad, but I can say that many are way overpriced. You're never going to get me to pay 4 or 5 grand for any guitar, unless I suddenly become wealthy.
In fact, I've never seen a guitar that I would pay 3 grand for. And, other than the Eric Johnson Strat, which costs around 1800 US, most signature guitars are a ripoff, pricewise.
I've seen nice Les Paul Standards for 2500, Jackson Soloists for 2100, ESP Horizon FR 2s for 1800, and various Strats in the 750-1500 range, (all USD). That's as far as I'm personally willing to go for a top-notch guitar. And, they are top-notch guitars without someones' signature on the headstock. Put your own name on the headstock. I will say that I may be willing to spend close to 3 grand for a PRS if it's the right one, but there again, I'd have to have a fat wallet.
Face it guys, the good stuff costs a pretty penny...that goes for amps, too.
But, if price were no object, you can bet I'd buy it all!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 PM