Looking For An Amp
chast
Feb 12 2009, 02:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys,

I'm looing for a new amp. It should be a combo amp, that I can use at home and maybe for small gigs.
It should be pretty versataille as I play a lot of different stuff (Pop/Rock/Jazz/Funk/Metal), it doesn't need to have a death metal distortion, but it should have distortion so I can play something like Metallica or Powermetal stuff.

Budget is around 650 euros.
I don't care If it's tube or transistor or moddeling amp, it only shall sound good wink.gif

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 12 2009, 02:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (chast @ Feb 12 2009, 02:15 PM) *
Hey guys,

I'm looing for a new amp. It should be a combo amp, that I can use at home and maybe for small gigs.
It should be pretty versataille as I play a lot of different stuff (Pop/Rock/Jazz/Funk/Metal), it doesn't need to have a death metal distortion, but it should have distortion so I can play something like Metallica or Powermetal stuff.

Budget is around 650 euros.
I don't care If it's tube or transistor or moddeling amp, it only shall sound good wink.gif

Cheers

Try a Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 Combo, it's the solid state version of MickeM's Switchblade amp... or even better, try to find a used switchblade 50 combo

Both have 4 channels: clean crunch lead and ultra aswell as some great quality effects onboard!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
chast
Feb 12 2009, 02:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 12 2009, 02:19 PM) *
Try a Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 Combo, it's the solid state version of MickeM's Switchblade amp... or even better, try to find a used switchblade 50 combo

Both have 4 channels: clean crunch lead and ultra aswell as some great quality effects onboard!

Hm... I'm not sure but I think I tested that one at musik-schmidt and didn't like it that much.
I liked the tone of the Vox AD120VT a lot more, but I need some more recommendations wink.gif

/edit: And I thikn distortion on the AD120VT wasn't enough.

This post has been edited by chast: Feb 12 2009, 02:41 PM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 12 2009, 06:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
650 is a tight budget for a versitaile, gig ready combo amp...If you don't mind modelers you can try the Line6 Spider valve combos: They are tube amps with built in amp modeling!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
inertia
Feb 12 2009, 06:37 PM
GMC:er
Honestly not sure how much amps cost in your country, but for just a hair over $1,000 USD there is the Bogner Alchemist, very versatile, great clean, great crunch, and a pretty searing distortion, plus has some effects, all tube. Can operate at 20 watts or 40 watts, so 20 watts would probably be manageable for home use and likely small clubs, 40 watts would be good for bigger shows.

+Quote Post
chast
Feb 12 2009, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
I just checked out some videos of the Switchblade, that thing sounds so much better than the Attax, imo.
The Bogner Alchemist sounds cool aswell, I think I have to raise my budget biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 12 2009, 08:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (chast @ Feb 12 2009, 08:17 PM) *
I just checked out some videos of the Switchblade, that thing sounds so much better than the Attax, imo.
The Bogner Alchemist sounds cool aswell, I think I have to raise my budget biggrin.gif

+1 on the budget raise^^

Bogner amp are incredible amps, even their cheapest model (>alchemist) rules big time, if you're into that creamy bogner tone...

No wonder the Switchblade sounds better, it's an all tube amp while the attax is a solid state amp!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2009, 10:39 PM
Instructor
I think it is best to check out the models and see if it suits you. +1 vote for the Switchblade, it's a great flexible amp with a lots of power for gigs! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:11 PM