Getting Started Early!
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2010, 11:23 AM
GMC Founder
Many guitarist started practicing at an early age however some started their professional career like Vinnie Moore. "Moore began his professional career at age of 12 and played clubs and bars until Shrapnel executive Mike Varney discovered him through a magazine article ("Vinnie Moore", Wikipedia).  

Who in your opinion received recognition for their skills at the youngest age?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 6 2010, 12:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and the twins from Full House (can't recall their names... wierd)

Another guitarist that started giging at eary age was Joe Bonamassa, same as Vinne Moore.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 6 2010, 01:42 PM
Instructor
hahaha Justin yes,

I think Jason Becker must have started really young because he was like 16 when he recorded guitars for Cacophony, if I'm not mistaken

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 6 2010, 01:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
I agree with MickeM, also adding Michael Jackson and Britney Spears. smile.gif

When talking about guitarists, Id also add Jason Becker smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 7 2010, 12:45 PM
Instructor
For Guitarists, Paul Gilbert came to Mike Varney's attention early (I think) and he also applied for Ozzy's band when he was 15 !! ohmy.gif

I think Jason Becker was 17 when Cacophony recorded Speed Metal Symphony...! Imagine that !!

I'm not sure if that wikipedia article is correct... I read years ago that Vinnie Moore started playing guitar when he was 12.... who knows.... ? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Dec 7 2010, 12:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Michael Schenker played at young age in the Scorpions and play at 16 in UFO

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 7 2010, 03:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Dec 7 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Michael Schenker played at young age in the Scorpions and play at 16 in UFO

Oh yes.... the Lord Schenker himself.. you're right !! smile.gif

Also, Shawn Lane was playing with Black Oak Arkansas at 14.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Dec 7 2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
oo .. I beat all the records.. I started at 15. biggrin.gif (well picked it up first time wink.gif )

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 7 2010, 04:12 PM
GMC:er
Richie Kotzen started to play at 7 years old (5 piano) and at the age of 19 release his 1º album

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Dec 7 2010, 07:23 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
If I remember it correctly, Jason Becker was eather 3 or 5 years old when he started out. He was around 16-17 when he recorded the 2 Cacophony albums and was 18 when he recorded his first solo album. He became world wide famous at 21 joining David Lee Roth. Imagine what he'd be able to do today if it wasn't for his illness? He'd be #1 for sure.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2010, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
I think the posts have well covered the who's and what's. Well done. I just wanted to comment that it does certainly seem like players are starting younger and younger and getting staggeringly good before they are really big enough to hold a full size guitar. Youtube is filled with players as young as 8 playing Scarified and Steven Ray Vaughn covers, etc. I think it's actually a great thing. I really think things like GUITAR HERO and ROCK BAND got a whole new generation interested in actually playing an instrument again. Thank goodnes smile.gif Otherwise, and unending escalation of synthesis and sampling (which has it's place of course as any tool does). The new version of ROCK BAND promises to use an actual stringed electric guitar for "Pro Mode" which will encourage students to practice without even realizing it. I think the future of music is looking bright smile.gif
Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:30 PM