2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Guitar Without Amplifier?
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 01:13 PM
GMC:er
Ok thank you guys but I will propably buy an amp as i dont spend much time on pc.

Ok now another question regarding the lack of an amplifier.It may dumb but i will do a lot of those questions. smile.gif

If you dont have an amp can you do hammer ons pull off etc.

Or can you do tapping on the guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 23 2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor
You can do any technique on the guitar regardless of the guitar amp. Guitar amp is there to amplify the signal that is coming from the guitar, and make it sound better along the way, but guitar amp is not something that makes any technique more easier to do.
However, with the correct amount of overdrive, you will get more sustain and compression in your tone which can seem more easier to play the techniques you mentioned then. In reality, if you play it bad, no overdrive or compression can mask that

If you are getting a practice amp, what would be your budget? Marshall MG 15W is a first choice, but possibly there are other choices as well that can serve you better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 23 2009, 01:26 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 23 2009, 03:26 PM) *
You can do any technique on the guitar regardless of the guitar amp. Guitar amp is there to amplify the signal that is coming from the guitar, and make it sound better along the way, but guitar amp is not something that makes any technique more easier to do.
However, with the correct amount of overdrive, you will get more sustain and compression in your tone which can seem more easier to play the techniques you mentioned then. In reality, if you play it bad, no overdrive or compression can mask that

If you are getting a practice amp, what would be your budget? Marshall MG 15W is a first choice, but possibly there are other choices as well that can serve you better.

Well i have chosen Marshall MG 15W because its affordable.Its just only 100 Euro.You know i already spent a great amount of money to buy the guitar and still another 100 Euros.Im just a 16 years-old guy.I dont have that much affordability.But if you have to suggest anything better and cheap at the same time please do smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 02:28 PM
I just discovered that the whammy actually works but it needs a little pressure to work.Is that normal?

I bought the guitar yesterday.Cant afford to break it today biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Oct 23 2009, 03:05 PM
I am thinking of adding some advice that may be a little different fromt the rest. For instance, I have several guitars (one note is that investing in a good guitar can make a big difference in learning - a better guitar is generally easier to play and I have often found that some of these beginner guitars are quite difficult to play well) and a small Line 6 amp. The amp is fairly good but not any where near as nice as some of the more expensive amps. About a year ago, I gave in and invested in a Line 6 Pod XT (there are a number of similar type things) which hooks into the computer. The sound quality through the headphones is superior to any amp I have tried out and hence, I have only broken out my amp a few times since playing almost exclusively through the Pod. Unless you want to start gigging or want others to hear you play, investing in a Pod may be more useful than an amp. For me, it certainly was my onen of my best investments I ever made (besides my beloved ESP 400NT).

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 03:12 PM
Ok but i wont change my mind.I have come to deduce that the Pod may be better than the amplifier but I am only in the beginning so i will buy an amplifier.If I improve I may buy a Pod.

Lets start with the basics first smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 23 2009, 03:26 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:28 PM) *
I just discovered that the whammy actually works but it needs a little pressure to work.Is that normal?

to be honest I suspected this to be the problem, but didn`t have the oppurtunity to answer before tongue.gif

On non-floating whammys like your seems to be, you must apply some pressure down, towards the guitar. However, I dunno if the quality is particularly good at cheap guitar-whammys, in fact it would surprise me if it was, so I would be careful and not press it ENTIRELY down. But with normal use, just pitching a few notes or adding vibrato, should not be a problem.

Hope that was to some help smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 23 2009, 03:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Ok but i wont change my mind.I have come to deduce that the Pod may be better than the amplifier but I am only in the beginning so i will buy an amplifier.If I improve I may buy a Pod.

Lets start with the basics first smile.gif

Yeah small guitar amp is a good choice! Its easier option then the POD (for a beginner to use). Small 15w marshal sounds like I good choice (I had the same when starting out) smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 23 2009, 04:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 03:28 PM) *

It always needs some pressure to work, yeah. smile.gif
Also you can adjust that tension be removing/adding a spring or two
but then you would have to adjust string gauge as well,
it could be a very painful job if you never did that before.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you for answering my questions smile.gif

By the way it doesnt need some pressure.It needs A LOT OF PRESSURE.

I dont have a problem with that but maybe my guitar has a problem biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 23 2009, 04:39 PM
I think a picture of the instrument would settle this and set your own mind at ease. Sounds like a lot of confusion due to limited communication and I'd hate to give "just push it" advice to a guy who stuck a whammy bar into a fixed bridge or something.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry but i dont have any means to give you a photo.

But its a Fender Stratocaster.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 23 2009, 04:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Thank you for answering my questions smile.gif

By the way it doesnt need some pressure.It needs A LOT OF PRESSURE.

I dont have a problem with that but maybe my guitar has a problem biggrin.gif

It could have something to do with your guitar, probably.
But it is not impossible, it's more about lacking of strength and skills imho. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 23 2009, 04:49 PM
Then what's happening is the springs holding the bridge against the body are stiff. Your bridge should be "dive only" and the bar should be held in the hand while in a picking position over the pickups. move the end of the bar in your hand down towards the pickups.

The back of the bridge should raise slightly off the body, shortening the string scale, and lowering the pitch of the strings.

Keep the bar in your hand as you guide the bar back up. The bridge will flatten back against the body and the strings should return to their original pitch.

That should get you started and using the thing in the right direction.

DO NOT: try anything you've ever seen Steve Vai do. Your whammy bar is not connected to the same kind of bridge!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:42 PM