2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Price Differences, Local Dealer vs. Online Shop
Hauke_Z
May 15 2008, 11:30 AM
GMC:er
Yesterday I got really angry. I went to a local Music Store to buy new strings and check If they had new Guitars there.
And what did I see? They sell the Epiphone Les Paul Standard (CS finish) for 523 Euros (about 810 US-$ atm)!!!
In online stores you get it for 439,- with free shipping! Is there such a difference in prices at your Countries, too?? Makes me sick, because I usually try to support local business, even if it's a few bucks more - but 84 Euros - no way mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Rock's so good to me. Rock is my child and my grandfather. "
- Chuck Berry

Ibanez GSA60 "Gio"
M-Audio Fasttrack USB
Apple Garageband
Logic Express 7.2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 15 2008, 11:37 AM
It is always the case that guitars from stores cost more than online unless you find a rare guitar in a store that aren't easy to come by in which case you'd probably only be able to buy it in the store. Even shops like GAK.co.uk charge less online than if you go into their store for proper.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 15 2008, 11:42 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Yea I agree, its not just guitars and music equipment though, it seems to be everything,

"This price is an internet price only not available in store" is normal to see on electrical goods websites here, I asked once and they instantly say its to do with the store overheads etc blurb, theres probably an element to it but sometimes as you point out, there doesnt seem to be a justification in the massive price difference.

the advantage to buying in store is of course you can always physically take something back in person, a lot of internet stuff you can of course return but theres the re packing, sending and waiting all over again.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Learning Guitar Hero
yeah... this happened to me too, but instead of being more expensive at local music store, it was about $100 less

i went to my local music store to try the peavey valveking(that i am probably gonna buy in a month) and the guitar i used to try the amp was an Ibanez RG350GX, i looked at the price tag of the guitar and it was $399 huh.gif

anyway, that was a positive price difference laugh.gif

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well you should come to our country! smile.gif
For example strings I buy regulary cost 42$ in store and I buy it online on ebay for 22$ including shipping !! smile.gif
Well I noticed that everything here costs double than in America and other countries..You can buy a guitar in America for 800$ and same one will be 800 euro or more here smile.gif Its just crazy...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mr T
You've got to remember that local shops usually have a lot less customers and they can't afford to buy in bulk like an online shop. They have a lot more costs to cover and you'll notice that in the price.
If it's a good shop, you'll get a good service in return and you can probably get extra's with the guitar or talk the price down a bit.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 15 2008, 11:45 AM
QUOTE (Mr T @ May 15 2008, 11:42 AM) *
You've got to remember that local shops usually have a lot less customers and they can't afford to buy in bulk like an online shop. They have a lot more costs to cover and you'll notice that in the price.
If it's a good shop, you'll get a good service in return and you can probably get extra's with the guitar or talk the price down a bit.

Yeah I do that with every guitar I buy. I normally ask for a cable, pack of strings, strap and a few picks to be thrown in and they normally do it without question.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Henkka
May 15 2008, 11:46 AM
It's nothing new that the price tag is higher in shop's when compared to web-shops. I'm not going to delve into reasons since they are quite obvious. But there's one thing you should keep in mind:

Most likely your local dealer is ready to negotiate the price. Example:

My local dealers list price for the guitar I have now was ~20% higher than what the cheapest online shop offered. I bought the guitar, a stand, few packs of strings and paid little less than what they would have paid in the online shop, plus the salesperson let me take few picks for free just to make sure I will do business with them also in the future.

Keep this in mind when buying stuff from online shops...

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 15 2008, 11:53 AM
Instructor
thats normally mate the prices on internet is different than the stores
so what you see from prices online is less than stores every where

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
May 15 2008, 12:29 PM
All you need to ask them is "Do you price match?"
I've bought quite a lot of stuff from a shop called Turnkey (quite a nice place they let you try it out in shop) but everything is really marked up. But if you ask them if they will price match the online quotes of GAK.com they will do so (and sometimes go lower).
Generally the mark ups are to make extra profit if you make it clear to them that you don't need them in order to get what you want they will try and convince you to buy from them.
A sale with a smaller profit is better than no sale at all.
Really the amount they are willing to reduce their prices is amazing!
I bought an Ibanez RGA321 from this place it was advertised as £1,099 reduced from £1,199. I quoted them an online price of £899 and they matched it instantly - no problems.
I did this for my amp and my pod as well.

EDIT: spelling mistake

This post has been edited by Tomotoms: May 15 2008, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 15 2008, 12:42 PM
Well its amazing to hear such stories, here we don't have such principles at all..I mean you all have the possibility to return the product to the store for a full refund - you will never find a store that is able to do that here for example..Its because we have a sort of monopoly here with music instrument stores so they keep their prices high up and don't care smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hauke_Z
May 15 2008, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 15 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Well its amazing to hear such stories, here we don't have such principles at all..I mean you all have the possibility to return the product to the store for a full refund - you will never find a store that is able to do that here for example..Its because we have a sort of monopoly here with music instrument stores so they keep their prices high up and don't care smile.gif

Uff, that's annoying sad.gif

--------------------
"Rock's so good to me. Rock is my child and my grandfather. "
- Chuck Berry

Ibanez GSA60 "Gio"
M-Audio Fasttrack USB
Apple Garageband
Logic Express 7.2

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
May 15 2008, 01:17 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 15 2008, 12:42 PM) *

But with the internet they do not have such a monopoly. Just find a site that will ship to you and has what you want for a cheaper price. Then go into your local store and tell them if they can't match that price you will buy it from the website. Obviously I have never been to your local shops but I would be willing to bet you could knock them down a bit.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 15 2008, 03:20 PM
Instructor
I'm a pain in a.. for the stores!! laugh.gif I always say that I have found the same item on internet, but at a lower price...so they have to match the prices or I get very angry... mad.gif So, this way is like I have shopping on internet, but I buy at the store close to me... laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
M-P
May 15 2008, 03:28 PM
A lot of it is about local competition. There are still people who do not like to buy online and prefer the personal service (luckily I am not one of these people). So when a store is the only place around that sells something, they can pretty much price it wherever they want to within reason. However, when you get more local competition for the same product that price will come down. For example, I live in a city that has both a Guitar Center and a Sam Ash, which has driven down the prices at most of the smaller local shops. They put their prices about the same as guitar center, but you still get that more personal level of service.

--------------------
Guitars
-2006 Jackson DKMG Dinky (Transparent Red)
--Stock EMG 81/85 Setup
-2004 Ibanez SZ520QM (Gold Amber Burst)
--Dimarzio PAF Pro (Neck), Dimarzio Super Distortion (Bridge)

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 15 2008, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 15 2008, 05:37 AM) *
It is always the case that guitars from stores cost more than online unless you find a rare guitar in a store that aren't easy to come by in which case you'd probably only be able to buy it in the store. Even shops like GAK.co.uk charge less online than if you go into their store for proper.

I would not say always. And I don't know about the situation in Europe, situation might be different there, probably is.

But....I purchased my Gibson 58 Standard Reissue for $2,400 from a shop. They were located in San Diego, and were well known and reputable. Paid $100 shipping because you should pay one day shipping on anything valuable that can be broken. So $2,500. MF was selling them for over $3,000.

I got my American Strat, in the fancy 3 tone like Carlos has, same Strat, for $775, paid no shipping, from a shop in West Virginia. You can find prices cheaper than M-F quite often if you look around.

I have gotten good prices for all my Guitars, you can, but you have to do the shopping.

There is a myth that prevails, that you have to try them out, that this Les Paul is going to be so much different than another, etc. Such hog wash. Guitars are pretty consistent.

I don't feel a moral obligation to buy locally. HOWEVER, I do consider it immoral to use their facilities to try things out, when your intention is to buy elsewhere. I never do that, that to me is like stealing, you are stealing their time and taking advantage of them, so I never do that.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 15 2008, 04:30 PM
they always say stuff like oh i gotta pay rent for my shop etc. the online store people gotta pay the server for a website AND a warehouse! I dont think I bought anything expensive from real shops in a long time now

+Quote Post
Old School Rocke...
May 15 2008, 04:51 PM
I've never acctually bought anything guitar related online I kinda wanna check it out now even though my local guitar shop is pretty damn good and friendly smile.gif

Can anyone recommend me a good online shop (Im Canadian so if theres a difference in prices could you recomend a Canadian site) I wanna see if theres a big price difference between my shop and a website Cause I saw a killer LP Studio im interested in and b4 I buy it I wanna compare prices now.

Wow after taking a look at some online shops I noticed that the LP Studio at my local shop is about $200-$500 cheaper and im sure i can get some freebies from the store like I say there friendly.

I dont know if the Site I was looking at was any good but the Studio online cost about $1,1,199.00 - $1,319.00
And the Studio I found in the shop was around $900 hmm I smell a pretty good deal biggrin.gif

But im still looking for a GOOD online shop so any help would be appreciated

This post has been edited by Old School Rocker: May 15 2008, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Well these two look good to me..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

http://www.zzounds.com/

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 15 2008, 08:13 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
It is the same in my country wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:35 PM