Recommend A 2nd Guitar For Someone Who Already Has An Ibanez!
Ronin
Jul 23 2007, 08:48 AM
GMC:er
It seems that a lot of questions about new guitars are by people wanting to pick up an Ibanez guitar and the people here who love them.

I am a little backwards in that I already have an RGA121 and am looking for a second guitar. Since the RGA121 is a hard tail, I'm looking for something with a Tremolo on it. I also have a Lite Ash Strat that I am lukewarm on, especially the tremolo on it which just plain sucks. Since I love my RGA, the RGA 1570/2550 have caught my eye. The only thing I worry about with them is that they are mighty close to what I have now.
I have toyed with the idea of selling my Strat and getting an American Strat or stretching the budget with an American Deluxe Strat. These are both a pretty large upgrade to my current Strat and will give me some difference from what I have vs the RGA121. They are also pretty versatile guitars. Or I could keep both of them and go for something like a Les Paul Studio for a change of pace.

What do you all think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ronin: Jul 23 2007, 08:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 23 2007, 09:25 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Ronin @ Jul 23 2007, 09:48 AM) *
It seems that a lot of questions about new guitars are by people wanting to pick up an Ibanez guitar and the people here who love them.

I am a little backwards in that I already have an RGA121 and am looking for a second guitar. Since the RGA121 is a hard tail, I'm looking for something with a Tremolo on it. I also have a Lite Ash Strat that I am lukewarm on, especially the tremolo on it which just plain sucks. Since I love my RGA, the RGA 1570/2550 have caught my eye. The only thing I worry about with them is that they are mighty close to what I have now.
I have toyed with the idea of selling my Strat and getting an American Strat or stretching the budget with an American Deluxe Strat. These are both a pretty large upgrade to my current Strat and will give me some difference from what I have vs the RGA121. They are also pretty versatile guitars. Or I could keep both of them and go for something like a Les Paul Studio for a change of pace.

What do you all think?

If you're happy with your Ibanez I'm sure an Ibanez also for a second guitar will be swell.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 23 2007, 12:23 PM
Instructor
Yeah - why not getting another Ibanez? Some RG Prestige series?

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 23 2007, 12:39 PM
Ahh.. does a les paul studio have tremolo?

My les paul standard doesnt, and i want a tremolo, so my next guitar will be an Ibanez Prestige.

So if you love your Ibanez except for the fact it has no tremolo, upgrade it to one which does smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ronin
Jul 23 2007, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 23 2007, 04:39 AM) *
Ahh.. does a les paul studio have tremolo?

Good point.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 23 2007, 04:31 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ronin @ Jul 23 2007, 11:20 AM) *
Good point.

Even a US Strat will not have a great tremelo, Les Pauls have no tremelo

If an awesom tremelo is what you are after, look at the RG prestice series with the Edge Pro (which is amazing) - as has been said. Also, Jackson and Schecter have guitars with Floyd tremelos - check those if you want a particular style, although I don't think either make would beat the RG prestige for quality, but maybe more your style if you are looking for somsething specific.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 23 2007, 04:36 PM
Or if you wanted a tremolo on a les paul, you could get a... stretsbar, i think it is called. But i dont know if they are any good. Would be awesome to have tremolo on les paul tho biggrin.gif

Perhaps when I get a LP Custom I will put a stretsbar on my LP Std

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 23 2007, 04:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 23 2007, 04:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 23 2007, 11:36 AM) *
Or if you wanted a tremolo on a les paul

Sacriledge !!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 23 2007, 04:54 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think Gibson did an LP for a while with a Bigsby back in the 1980s - there might even be an Epiphone version of it in their range. Otherwise you'd probably have to retrofit one. Or if you want a singlecut with humbuckers and a trem but don't mind the make perhaps look towards something like an PRS singlecut or an ESP or an Eggle or a custom built (though don't know if any have a trem fitted as standard. Sure one must have smile.gif ).

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 23 2007, 05:28 PM
I know of an LP with a FR...I'll post a link to it.

LP Studio with FR

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 23 2007, 05:40 PM
Gibson does not make floyd style trem on there les pauls but it has been done by other people making mods to there guitars.You can sometimes even come across one on ebay .The reason they are not as commen seen is because it really drops the value of your guitar once you decide to sell it.Also most people who want a les paul dont need a trem in the first place.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:22 PM