How Do You Practice A Lesson?
Martin la guitar...
Apr 10 2008, 07:11 PM
GMC:er
I like to pick 3 lesson at a time, and then memorize and play them almost perfectly after three weeks. How do you practice?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
superize
Apr 10 2008, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I take a lesson, a learn piece by piece and then practise the whole thing in GP

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 10 2008, 07:40 PM
I ussually try to learn the entire thing by ear, only reading the theoretical parts, but more often than not I end up looking at the tabs as well tongue.gif, but I'm overcoming that gradually! smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Apr 11 2008, 03:58 PM
oh, and how long does it takes for you to finish a lesson?

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 11 2008, 05:28 PM
First I rip off anything that catches my attention, I usually do it from sight and ear. And try moving the lick around and tweaking it to my liking. Then if I want to practice the whole thing for timing and rythem practice I'll learn what I can by ear and eye, then go into the tabs. Then I'll play to the provided backings. Any fast lick I have trouble with I'll practice to a metronome. I'd say I learn the entire lesson 40% of the time, 30% of the time I'll just learn a couple licks, and the last 30% of lessons I'll just work with the idea given.

It usually takes me a day to learn a lesson, 2 days if it's very difficult, and it ususally takes a week or to to get up to tempo.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Apr 12 2008, 09:31 AM
omg, 1 day?? How do you do that, i mean, if it was me, it would take at least a week!

Do you play all lesson with 100 % control, or do you end up hitingt the wrong strings?

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 12 2008, 09:32 AM
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Apr 11 2008, 04:58 PM) *
oh, and how long does it takes for you to finish a lesson?

It depends on the lesson.. if it's just a solo lesson than ussually only a couple of days, but if it's a more technique based lesson than I might even practice it for more than 6 months(like Iv'e done with some alt picking and sweeping lessons).

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 12 2008, 10:07 AM
Instructor
What do you guys think about play along lessons? (where you can play along with the lesson some simple but effective exercises). I'm in the process of creating a series that has some of the lessons made in this manner.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Apr 12 2008, 10:19 AM
sounds very interesting, i just love to jam along kris and marcus song - soul to the world.
Its a lot more fun playing along instead of playing alone, go for Ivan

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 13 2008, 12:36 AM
Play along lessons sound great! It'd be good for timing, and in general I think it's easier to learn when you play along with something.

@Martin: It usually takes me one day to learn the lesson, as in learn all the notes and how to play it, usually after a day or two I can play it pretty well, but I don't think I ever actually finish a lesson, I just keep playing and practicing them till the licks in them become natural to me, and I can incorporate those licks in my playing with ease. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 13 2008, 07:27 AM
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Apr 10 2008, 01:11 PM) *
I like to pick 3 lesson at a time, and then memorize and play them almost perfectly after three weeks. How do you practice?

my system has evolved over time. i have about 30 lessons I have learned (memorized). I cycle though them in order, and at the end of each cycle add another lesson to the mix. This works well for me.

I find myself taking more time on each lesson as I cycle, than I used to. I used to breeze though them. But i realized that it was much better to spend more time on each lesson, trying to improve it, rather than breezing though them.

I don't feel I have perfected, or near perfected any of them. But then again, for the most part, neither have the teachers in general (although closer to it than me). I prefer to think perfection is a long ways off, maybe beyond what I can imagine at this time.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2008, 12:52 PM
Instructor
That's great guys. New mega series about _____ is coming soon! wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 05:17 AM