3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Dealing With Negativity And Critics
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 6 2013, 10:18 PM
Instructor
As Cosmin said, we all must be prepared to this... the more you do, the more people will like you and dislike you, and it seems that there is people that loves criticizing other people's job. I think that Professor's thought are very important, sometimes a critic can make us notice something we could work but trust me that in most of the cases critics are just a point of view and others just come from the envy of persons that aren't brave enough to do something.

I have the experience with my band Cirse, the more popular we become, the more people comes to the shows, the more people appears criticizing us.. as Cosmin said, if we would be paid for any time that we are defined as a crappy copy of Paramore we would be rich!!!!! laugh.gif
and now some people says we copy Panic At The Disco because of the topic and costumes in this video... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

My suggestion is to work hard, enjoy what you do, trust in yourself, in your work and in your real friends. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor
True words said by Gabe!

And another thing I might add - sometimes, it takes years and years to get where you want to get, regardless of what you do, be it music or some other form of creation.

Do not let yourself discouraged just because you can't get thousands of fans to like you over night - that is pretty much impossible anyway and in most cases, the music that does that, either has no substance and it will die out either turns out into a huge hit band. But chances are slim - that doesn't mean that your music is not good wink.gif It might be great, but it HAS to be directed towards the people that can understand it.

It's a good thing to aim at getting your music to be liked by everyone, but if it's not, find that specific segment of the audience that enjoys your music for real - it is possible with the power of the internet: Facebook groups, forums, communities, targeted e-zines and the list goes on. If your music is good, but it's directed towards a niche, you will be able to build a strong fan base, through these means.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2013, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 7 2013, 04:53 AM) *
True words said by Gabe!

And another thing I might add - sometimes, it takes years and years to get where you want to get, regardless of what you do, be it music or some other form of creation.

Do not let yourself discouraged just because you can't get thousands of fans to like you over night - that is pretty much impossible anyway and in most cases, the music that does that, either has no substance and it will die out either turns out into a huge hit band. But chances are slim - that doesn't mean that your music is not good wink.gif It might be great, but it HAS to be directed towards the people that can understand it.

It's a good thing to aim at getting your music to be liked by everyone, but if it's not, find that specific segment of the audience that enjoys your music for real - it is possible with the power of the internet: Facebook groups, forums, communities, targeted e-zines and the list goes on. If your music is good, but it's directed towards a niche, you will be able to build a strong fan base, through these means.

Excellent addition!! This is something very important to have in mind. You have to direct your music to the people that likes the style, or similar artists... that's the way to go!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Blue Willy
Sep 13 2013, 02:12 AM
GMC:er
Those who can, play. Those who can't play, write. I've played gigs which went really well, audience totally engaged and the band playing on an inspired level. Next day a review in the local paper saying the band sucked eggs, the audience didn't dig us and that we should give up. I found myself wondering if the reviewer was at the same gig. People write all sorts of bullcrap for a lot of different reasons...some just make stuff up because they don't like that style of music. You can't let it get to you, after all, you know they're wrong.

A long time ago there was a music critic at the San Francisco Chronicle named Ralph Gleason who invariably wrote positive reviews. If he didn't like a performer, he just didn't review them. He was a class act...today's so-called critics should be so hip.

--------------------
Mike

"The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Inductee in the Blues Hall of Fame, March 14, 2012.

Mike-Wilhelm.com
YouTube: Michael Ray Wilhelm, Blusician, guitar & vocal

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blue Willy @ Sep 13 2013, 01:12 AM) *
Those who can, play. Those who can't play, write. I've played gigs which went really well, audience totally engaged and the band playing on an inspired level. Next day a review in the local paper saying the band sucked eggs, the audience didn't dig us and that we should give up. I found myself wondering if the reviewer was at the same gig. People write all sorts of bullcrap for a lot of different reasons...some just make stuff up because they don't like that style of music. You can't let it get to you, after all, you know they're wrong.

A long time ago there was a music critic at the San Francisco Chronicle named Ralph Gleason who invariably wrote positive reviews. If he didn't like a performer, he just didn't review them. He was a class act...today's so-called critics should be so hip.

True indeed - and for all we know, in this age, it's veeeeery easy to sit behind a computer and throw mud at people, who are at least trying to get out there and do their thing!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 13 2013, 08:49 AM
Negativity and Critics are always GOOD! Can't see why it can be bad? They are inspiring for you to make even better lyrics and brutal music@! \,,,/

If One's a EMO and couldn't handle a critics, that's his very own problem...

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor
There is nothing more we could do than deal with it. We can have some fun from some people time to time. Most of them are kids behind their PC's (like Cosmin said) they feel able to judge musicians with 20 + years of expirience ...this is funny smile.gif

Instead of posting some regular "hate"comments" I would post a funny example that "ruined my world" tongue.gif

"I pressed dislike. till i heard the solo. haha"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2QB54GVnf4

What is funny...
It took me weeks to create whole the orchestra arrange, tone match and multitrack record...and then some kid wrote...that he wanted to hit dislike before he heard the solo (which is nothing special and took me 30 minutes to record)...so most of trolling comes from missunderstanding of what is actually going on in the music.

Another funny situation. The same band, two different gigs. On the first gig one guy (keyboard player from other band) says "girl sings nice but the band sucks", on the 2nd gig sound engeneer comes to us and say "duuudes...girl sings well, but THE BAND is so awesome !!!!"...

So...only good thought is to keep doing and always filter what You hear or read through a rules of Your playing concept wink.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 13 2013, 09:41 AM
Learning Tone Master

Last week I crying because some stupid persons told me "guitar is not for sluts". In that momment I thought that the good idea it will be to give up at playing (no collab and contests) for a period. To have time to became better.
With a lot of advices and a big GMC support I realized that I was not the single person who receiving that kind of messages.
Now, after one week I see totaly different the situation and I have more power to work much hard and to involve in many projects. I don't care anymore what stupid messages I will gonna receive in the future. I know what I'm doing and what music I want to play. It's impossible to satisfy every people taste wink.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 13 2013, 10:00 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 13 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Last week I crying because some stupid persons told me "guitar is not for sluts". In that momment I thought that the good idea it will be to give up at playing (no collab and contests) for a period. To have time to became better.
With a lot of advices and a big GMC support I realized that I was not the single person who receiving that kind of messages.
Now, after one week I see totaly different the situation and I have more power to work much hard and to involve in many projects. I don't care anymore what stupid messages I will gonna receive in the future. I know what I'm doing and what music I want to play. It's impossible to satisfy every people taste wink.gif

TRUE METAL SPIRIT!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2013, 10:44 AM
Instructor
The general idea is that people judge from personal perspectives and expectations and since we are all VERY different... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Larry F
Sep 13 2013, 06:50 PM
I was at a conference a number of years ago. After one of my pieces was played, another composer who I had not met before, complimented me on my music, but then said he thought it was too short. OK, that's not such a bad criticism. A few years later, I was at another conference. I happened to pass by the same composer who was telling someone that his piece was too short.

The point is that people often have a few pet issues and they are eager to find opportunities to get those out there.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 09:19 PM
Instructor
Agree...very usefull observations.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 14 2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor
Something I remember from Bruce Lee..

"Empty heads have long tongues. Commonly they, whose tongue is their weapon, use their feet for defense."

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Sep 14 2013, 08:41 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 13 2013, 10:41 AM) *

My RESPECT !

You are a Fine Lady on a GOOD WAY !!!

Monicè the GUITAR LADY smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 14 2013, 02:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 13 2013, 09:00 AM) *
TRUE METAL SPIRIT!! smile.gif

Ha,ha......everyone have a metal spirit inside laugh.gif

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Sep 14 2013, 07:41 AM) *
My RESPECT !

You are a Fine Lady on a GOOD WAY !!!

Monicè the GUITAR LADY smile.gif

Thank you Dieterle, for your kind words and your continuous support smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 15 2013, 01:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man, I know how it feels. I think the best thing is to not take it personally, not matter what you do, there will always be people who dislike it. If you're doing what you love doing, then that is all that matters smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 15 2013, 12:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 14 2013, 07:31 AM) *

"Empty heads have long tongues. Commonly they, whose tongue is their weapon, use their feet for defense."

Stop eating those doughtnuts Ben biggrin.gif What a comparison ha ha biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2013, 05:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 14 2013, 07:31 AM) *

It's clear that Monica needs to get into these books wink.gif both Bruce's and Musashi's!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2013, 06:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2013, 05:55 PM) *
It's clear that Monica needs to get into these books wink.gif both Bruce's and Musashi's!

Yeah.. reading has been my saviour in many times !

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 15 2013, 09:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Yes guys, I will try to learn from Bruce Lee wisdom: "Be water my friend" wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:42 PM