3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Vinnie Moore Style Solo Question
Emir Hot
Nov 18 2008, 04:00 PM
Instructor
Thanks, that's really cool to hear. Post it here also when you're ready smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 18 2008, 04:14 PM
GMC:er
Any chance of you doing a 15bpm take for me to give this lesson a go biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 18 2008, 04:16 PM
Instructor
hahaha, this one felt like 0bpm. I coudln't believe how strange I felt

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 18 2008, 04:18 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 18 2008, 03:16 PM) *
hahaha, this one felt like 0bpm. I coudln't believe how strange I felt

I'd imagine it's like driving a Ferrari at 15mph biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Nov 18 2008, 10:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Emir,
I have almost gotten all the way through this lesson and I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you kind of "describe" as best you can how you do that last lick with the whammy bar? I have watched the video but my timing or something is off and I can't get it to sound like you do. Kind of a weird request I know but any insight you can give me would help. This lesson is just what I needed!! Tons of stuff I have wanted to practice but never did because I just got tired of doing "excercises". It is great to see all these techniques in a cohesive piece of music. Thanks!!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 19 2008, 12:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Nov 18 2008, 09:16 PM) *
Emir,
I have almost gotten all the way through this lesson and I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you kind of "describe" as best you can how you do that last lick with the whammy bar? I have watched the video but my timing or something is off and I can't get it to sound like you do. Kind of a weird request I know but any insight you can give me would help. This lesson is just what I needed!! Tons of stuff I have wanted to practice but never did because I just got tired of doing "excercises". It is great to see all these techniques in a cohesive piece of music. Thanks!!!

Monte

Hi

I will try to explain what I play there. Keep in mind that this type of lick doesn't need to be in time. It's how you feel it.

First I press whammy down before I play any note. Then I hit a note (on 12 fret 3rd string) and slowly release whammy. When the whammy reaches the neutral position I continue to bend the note up full step with the left hand (not whammy). All this is a continuous process, no stop. It should sound like a one long bend from the start until now.

The second part is opposite. So now you've done your bend and hold it there. Slowly release bend and when you get down to the G note, continue to bend down with a whammy. This should also be like one long bend with no stop. The difference here from the first part is when you get to that G note, you start playing hammer ons and pull offs (12, 0, 12, 0...) while pushing the whammy bar down. Really up to you how many of these (12, 0) you want to play. They should be fast to be effective. At least 3 of them.

I hope this helps

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Nov 19 2008, 03:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 19 2008, 12:09 AM) *
Hi

I will try to explain what I play there. Keep in mind that this type of lick doesn't need to be in time. It's how you feel it.

First I press whammy down before I play any note. Then I hit a note (on 12 fret 3rd string) and slowly release whammy. When the whammy reaches the neutral position I continue to bend the note up full step with the left hand (not whammy). All this is a continuous process, no stop. It should sound like a one long bend from the start until now.

The second part is opposite. So now you've done your bend and hold it there. Slowly release bend and when you get down to the G note, continue to bend down with a whammy. This should also be like one long bend with no stop. The difference here from the first part is when you get to that G note, you start playing hammer ons and pull offs (12, 0, 12, 0...) while pushing the whammy bar down. Really up to you how many of these (12, 0) you want to play. They should be fast to be effective. At least 3 of them.

I hope this helps

Perfect!! Just what I was hoping for. Thanks Emir!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 20 2008, 02:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thought I'd update on my progress:

So far so good! Today's probably the first day I'm starting to feel comfortable playing most of this (at the relatively slow 60bpm tongue.gif). It's still fairly sloppy and only managed a couple of complete runs without serious mistakes. Still a lot more refining to do for sure.

The only riff I'm having real problems with is the one in Vid 13. It may just be that I'm accenting the wrong note's. Technically it's definetly within my grasps, it's just getting it to SOUND right that I'm struggling with at the moment. I'll focus on that tomorrow smile.gif

Really enjoying this Emir, one of those times you feel like you're genuinely improving your playing opposed to playing catch up with abilites that you've let slide over time.

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 20 2008, 08:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Nov 20 2008, 01:00 AM) *
Thought I'd update on my progress:

So far so good! Today's probably the first day I'm starting to feel comfortable playing most of this (at the relatively slow 60bpm tongue.gif). It's still fairly sloppy and only managed a couple of complete runs without serious mistakes. Still a lot more refining to do for sure.

The only riff I'm having real problems with is the one in Vid 13. It may just be that I'm accenting the wrong note's. Technically it's definetly within my grasps, it's just getting it to SOUND right that I'm struggling with at the moment. I'll focus on that tomorrow smile.gif

Really enjoying this Emir, one of those times you feel like you're genuinely improving your playing opposed to playing catch up with abilites that you've let slide over time.

That's very good to hear. Great feeling when you realize you are making progress and getting there. I haven't had it for a long time smile.gif The last time I practiced like that was a couple of years ago.

The important thing about video 13 is that you have to execute every single hammer on and pull off correctly and pick the other ones. That's maybe what's causing you feel wrong accents. That's a Paul Gilbert lick and it's kind of non-stop out of a natural timing feel because of note group structure. Don't think too much about that, just when you start that run play consistently until you get to the last note. Make sure you finish the run a bit before tapping so you have time to jump there and tap the next phrase. When you get to a faster tempo backing, you will play it a lot easier as those phrases make much more sense if they are up to speed. I really struggled recording the 60bpm take smile.gif

Now you can believe when I said in the lesson description

If you are not familiar with this kind of playing I suggest that you take a couple of bars a day until you master them. That way you can possibly get the whole piece in about a week if you spend some serious time practicing.

that this was really achieveable if you set your goal and go for it. When I said you can get the whole piece, I didn't mean to play it perfectly but you can understand all the parts and then polish them one by one.

Good luck and let me know how it is going.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 21 2008, 08:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 20 2008, 07:07 AM) *
That's very good to hear. Great feeling when you realize you are making progress and getting there. I haven't had it for a long time smile.gif The last time I practiced like that was a couple of years ago.

The important thing about video 13 is that you have to execute every single hammer on and pull off correctly and pick the other ones. That's maybe what's causing you feel wrong accents. That's a Paul Gilbert lick and it's kind of non-stop out of a natural timing feel because of note group structure. Don't think too much about that, just when you start that run play consistently until you get to the last note. Make sure you finish the run a bit before tapping so you have time to jump there and tap the next phrase. When you get to a faster tempo backing, you will play it a lot easier as those phrases make much more sense if they are up to speed. I really struggled recording the 60bpm take smile.gif

Now you can believe when I said in the lesson description

If you are not familiar with this kind of playing I suggest that you take a couple of bars a day until you master them. That way you can possibly get the whole piece in about a week if you spend some serious time practicing.

that this was really achieveable if you set your goal and go for it. When I said you can get the whole piece, I didn't mean to play it perfectly but you can understand all the parts and then polish them one by one.

Good luck and let me know how it is going.

I think I'm going to take your advice and work on the timing to the gilbert lick when I push the tempo up a little, it's still causing me trouble smile.gif

It is a great feeling when you progress a little bit yeah, especially after so long of staying fairly static. This is more my fault than anything else, all you need to improve your playing is something to practise but most importantly putting the time into learning. I just need to start putting the time in smile.gif

As for getting a video up, I'm going to aim for a monday upload as that would be nicely in keep with your statement above smile.gif

Only problem is I'm going to have to work out how to record a video! I've no problems recording audio, have done that many times before in multi-track software- but I have no webcam or external speakers on my laptop. So the easy way of playing direct in to the computer with an effects pedal and playing everything through the speakers and capturing it through a web cam isn't going to work.

I do have a digital camera that can take video, but the laptop speakers are so poor (and only one of them works!) so I'd rather work out a way of getting a recording take done on the computer and sync up a video. Although that I'll need to learn too! heh.

Is it possible to download the backing tracks? I can't see a simple way of recording a take without having the backing track to insert into my mult-track. Although I hear there's copyright issue's with that.

Anyway, enough of the ramble. Lessons going really well, and feeling increasingly comfortable with playing it - just need to upload a take.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 22 2008, 08:00 AM
Instructor
You can record guitar in your recording software while recording video. Then take recorded track and video track and put them together in the video editing software. Get rid of audio picked by the camera and sync properly recorded take with the picture.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 24 2008, 04:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ok, as promised here is a take I've just recorded at 60bpm.

Well when I say just recorded, I mean about 5 hours ago as it's taken me that long to work out how to encode the video without the sound magically becoming out of synch after rendering!!

Anyway, this take is obviously a maze of areas to work on. I'm not that happy with it, but it does show what my ability is like after about a week of practise.

I'm aware I messed up the timing a couple of times, most noteably by missing out one of the riffs before the paul gilbert lick - meaning I wait a load more time for the tapping part.

Also I tried to be a bit reserved with the whammy lick at the end because my strat goes so out of tune when using it!

There's lots and lots to work on here I know, but thought I'd be honest with how I'm doing.

Apologies for the poor video quality - I'll perhaps do another take tomorrow in better lighting. Because it's a fun process to do now I know how to do it! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Attached File  vinniemoore.wmv ( 3.75MB ) Number of downloads: 251

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Nov 24 2008, 04:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Nov 24 2008, 04:10 AM) *
Ok, as promised here is a take I've just recorded at 60bpm.

Well when I say just recorded, I mean about 5 hours ago as it's taken me that long to work out how to encode the video without the sound magically becoming out of synch after rendering!!

Anyway, this take is obviously a maze of areas to work on. I'm not that happy with it, but it does show what my ability is like after about a week of practise.

I'm aware I messed up the timing a couple of times, most noteably by missing out one of the riffs before the paul gilbert lick - meaning I wait a load more time for the tapping part.

Also I tried to be a bit reserved with the whammy lick at the end because my strat goes so out of tune when using it!

There's lots and lots to work on here I know, but thought I'd be honest with how I'm doing.

Apologies for the poor video quality - I'll perhaps do another take tomorrow in better lighting. Because it's a fun process to do now I know how to do it! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Attached File  vinniemoore.wmv ( 3.75MB ) Number of downloads: 251

Good Job man!!! Now it is just a matter of repetition and slowly speeding it up. Other than the timing issue before the tapping lick I thought you did a really good job, especially for only one weeks work!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Nov 24 2008, 04:22 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 24 2008, 09:24 AM
Instructor
I have to say that I am really nicely surpised. Very good progress. I can see that you are very careful and that doesn't allow you to relax yet but I am sure you will get there very soon. Now I will give you some tips to solve the timing issues

- Lick from video 2 you played after the right beat. It starts on the 3rd sixteenth note of that bar or the 2nd eight note whatever is easier for you to count. The lick itself is in 16th notes, only the last note is a quarter note. Look at this example. This is one 4/4 bar. S = 1 sixteenth note, X = where you should start the lick, A is where you actually started playing. The second X is the last D quarter note on the 4th string.

X X
s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s
A

The next one starts right after this one on the 1st beat of the next bar played in 16th triplets.

There was exactly the same problem with the lick from video 12 but here you started earlier. The first note should be as per example above. If you play the GP file with the click you should be able to recognize that. Listen to the kick and snare drum and try to make that as your orientation. Because of this the next lick from video 13 started way before than it is supposed to start.

When you fix these things then I will tell you about picking and fingering. For now this is great progress. Well done.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Nov 24 2008, 09:24 AM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 24 2008, 01:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 24 2008, 08:24 AM) *
I have to say that I am really nicely surpised. Very good progress. I can see that you are very careful and that doesn't allow you to relax yet but I am sure you will get there very soon. Now I will give you some tips to solve the timing issues

- Lick from video 2 you played after the right beat. It starts on the 3rd sixteenth note of that bar or the 2nd eight note whatever is easier for you to count. The lick itself is in 16th notes, only the last note is a quarter note. Look at this example. This is one 4/4 bar. S = 1 sixteenth note, X = where you should start the lick, A is where you actually started playing. The second X is the last D quarter note on the 4th string.

X X
s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s
A

The next one starts right after this one on the 1st beat of the next bar played in 16th triplets.

There was exactly the same problem with the lick from video 12 but here you started earlier. The first note should be as per example above. If you play the GP file with the click you should be able to recognize that. Listen to the kick and snare drum and try to make that as your orientation. Because of this the next lick from video 13 started way before than it is supposed to start.

When you fix these things then I will tell you about picking and fingering. For now this is great progress. Well done.

Thanks Emir smile.gif Some really usefull tips, I've been desperately trying to get the timing of the licks from both of those video's in time and failing! I hadn't even noticed the mistake for the lick in video 12, but now it makes sense to my timing issues.

I think note durations and how they sound/feel and play is one of my biggest weaknesses. I can't quite count out 3 sixteenth notes in my head, but if I know how a lick sounds thats played in sixteenth notes I can replicate it by listening to how it sounds.

Anyway, I'll work on the timing issues, unfortunately nothings "clicked" yet - but I'll keep at it.

Thanks again smile.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Nov 24 2008, 03:21 AM) *
Good Job man!!! Now it is just a matter of repetition and slowly speeding it up. Other than the timing issue before the tapping lick I thought you did a really good job, especially for only one weeks work!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

Thanks man! Got some things to work through for sure, but I'm glad with the weeks progress smile.gif You should get a take up at some point too! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Nov 26 2008, 04:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Nov 24 2008, 01:08 PM) *
Thanks Emir smile.gif Some really usefull tips, I've been desperately trying to get the timing of the licks from both of those video's in time and failing! I hadn't even noticed the mistake for the lick in video 12, but now it makes sense to my timing issues.

I think note durations and how they sound/feel and play is one of my biggest weaknesses. I can't quite count out 3 sixteenth notes in my head, but if I know how a lick sounds thats played in sixteenth notes I can replicate it by listening to how it sounds.

Anyway, I'll work on the timing issues, unfortunately nothings "clicked" yet - but I'll keep at it.

Thanks again smile.gif

Thanks man! Got some things to work through for sure, but I'm glad with the weeks progress smile.gif You should get a take up at some point too! smile.gif

I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on this lesson. I am in the middle of moving but my goal is to really start practicing it in december so hopefully I'll get a take up in a few weeks, not a full tempo though laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
The only way for you to fix the timing issues is to learn to count. It can be frustrating but once you get it down it will help your playing/phrasing immensely. Keep working man!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 27 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Emir,

I made this video earlier, but didn't want to upload it as the playing was pretty sloppy in a good few areas, and I know I can play it better... but seeing as I'm not going to be able to make another video until tomorrow I thought I may as well upload it and see if you think I've sorted out the timing issues at least= although I'm aware that the paul gilbert lick at the end isn't in time, I can play it in time with the Guitar pro file. Just to ask, is the guitarpro file different to the recorded one you sent me? Just because it seems in the recording you sent you come in before the bar, and in the guitar pro file you come in on the first beat in the bar. Maybe I'm just not hearing it right smile.gif

I think I've solved them, but I'm not 100% sure. Can't wait to start speeding it up and take your advice on better fingering or picking biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Attached File  vinniemoore2.wmv ( 4.6MB ) Number of downloads: 225

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 30 2008, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Sorry I've been away for a couple of days so I missed this one. Yes, it's 10 times better now. Timing is now ok just that Gilbert lick needs to be fixed. 3rd note of that lick comes to the 1st beat of the new bar. Maybe this will help. I have to check GP file to understand what you were telling me. The fast scale before the middle section has a bend. You didn't bend that note. The rest is very good. Next time when you play in a faster tempo I can advise you for fingering.

well done

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Nov 30 2008, 08:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 30 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Sorry I've been away for a couple of days so I missed this one. Yes, it's 10 times better now. Timing is now ok just that Gilbert lick needs to be fixed. 3rd note of that lick comes to the 1st beat of the new bar. Maybe this will help. I have to check GP file to understand what you were telling me. The fast scale before the middle section has a bend. You didn't bend that note. The rest is very good. Next time when you play in a faster tempo I can advise you for fingering.

well done

Thanks Emir smile.gif

I shall get cracking on speeding it up! Feels much more comfortable picking at higher tempo's, but left hand accuracy is compromised so I need to work on that the most I think.

I'll make sure I make the changes you mentioned too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 4 2008, 10:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Damn those sixteenth note triplets are causing me some serious grief at 90bpm!

I'm finding a very relaxed and fluid movement with the right hand really helps with the picking speed, but the alternate picking accuracy is dramatically reduced for me due to the very light picking.

I try to keep my picking hand moving as minimally as possible and keep it accurate, but it is slow progress. I think I've hit a wall that I need to start grinding away at.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:03 PM