What To Get For My Birthday?
Starry Manhattan...
Jul 11 2008, 05:44 AM
GMC:er
Hey all GMC,

As the Topic Title says, my 17th birthday is coming up and I am unsure what to get. Below is the gear I currently have:

*Ibanez RG1570 (stock)
*Line 6 Spider 3 30W
*Jim Dunlop Slash Signature Crybaby Wah
*Jim Dunlop Jazz III's (red ones, though I am trying to find black ones to try)

Anyway, I am fed up with the tone I am getting from my Spider 3, I simply find the channels to be lacking something, and in terms of the distorted tone I am looking for, I find the Metal and Insane channels of the Spider to be hot but fizzy. I am looking for a distorted tone that is hot, but still smooth and that has better sustain then what I am currently working with.

I am not currently and will not likely be gigging in the near future, so I was looking at a multi effect that is extremely versatile, sounds pretty darn good and that I could run before my amp and also directly into my PC for some basic recording.

Some devices I am looking into are:

*POD X3
*POD X3 Live
*Boss GT-10
*Rocktron Utopia G100
*DigiTech GNX-3000

The Line 6 stuff looks good and sounds good (as proven by the staff at GMC), but I can't understand how given that the Spider III and POD X3 both use amp modelling technology, one could be far superior in tonal options and tonal quality. Could someone please explain this to me?

In conclusion, I am simply looking for some advice and information on each of these and other multi effects available on the market, including their recording capabilities, sound and tone quality (including the amp, cab and effects available), ability to be used before my Line 6 Spider 3 30W and how this will sound and just general quality of the product and level of support provided by the company.

Thanks GMC, all input and advice on these and other devices appreciated.

EDIT: I should probably list some of my influences and the sounds I am going for:

*John Petrucci (his crunch but more importantly solo tones from tracks like Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears, Hollow Years-Live at Budokan, Forsaken, In the Presence of Enemies Part 1, Erotomania, Paradigm Shift etc)
*Joe Satriani (Until We Say Goodbye, Satch Boogie, The Extremist)
*Michael Angelo Batio (No Boundaries, Tribute to Randy)
*Yngwie Malmsteen (Baroque and Roll, Black Star)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Starry Manhattan Rain: Jul 11 2008, 05:56 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:42 AM