Randall Amps
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 4 2007, 03:31 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Does anyone have any views on Randall Amps?

I am looking at the RM4 Preamp RT2/50 Power amp combination

It looks incredibly versatile. All tube. The Preamp takes up to 4 of a selection of 13 modules so you can pick and choose your voicing - Clean, Plexi, Top Boost, HiGain etc. The power amp has a choice of 2 mono sections with 6V6 or EL34 voicings, or you can use it as a stereo amp. Its all midi controllable, and includes a parallel effects loop, best of all worlds. Put a rack echo/delay/chorus/reverb in there, put your wah and compressor before the input and you have all you need to rock, and all pretty controllable too! They even have a Bogner Ecstasy preamp unit which would be top of my list for a lead sound, and I'd pick one of the fender cleans as well. After that .. who knows?

SO, anyone seen one of these or even have one?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
MickeM
Sep 4 2007, 04:59 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Intereting, this was one of the amps I concidered before getting my Switchblade. Actually it was the MTS head but from a brief look it's the same idea.

First off, I don't like the sound of a Randall at all, except for the MTS that makes sounds of other brands.
Here's a page with soundclips I browsed back then.

The reason it fell short was because I though, heck, if I want a Plexi I should get a Plexi. If I'd want a Blackface I'd get one of those. Surely not ALL models like you can have with the Randall, but hmmm... it didn't feel genuine. Probably just a feeling over at my end and nothing wrong with the amp, like getting a rubber doll instead of a girlfriend sort of feeling. Probably just great with plenty of advantages but still not the real thing.

Oh, I sound very negative about it but that's not the case. This Randall MTS was one of the top choices for me, you've already seen the advantages so I settled for the negative stuff that made me turn my back on it laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 4 2007, 05:14 AM
smile.gif

Part of my problem is that I don't know what sound I want - I am not keen for say a plexi sound, if I wanted that of course, you are right, I would get a plexi. However if it sounds good I'm interested.

However, this is the same argument I used for the pod, so maybe it id flawed and I shouldn't get a wannabe anything wink.gif

Dammit, I'll just get the Bogner and stop messing around with these half measures ... but even the Bogner Ecstasy has a Plexi mode blink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 4 2007, 05:19 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 4 2007, 06:14 AM) *
smile.gif

Part of my problem is that I don't know what sound I want - I am not keen for say a plexi sound, if I wanted that of course, you are right, I would get a plexi. However if it sounds good I'm interested.

However, this is the same argument I used for the pod, so maybe it id flawed and I shouldn't get a wannabe anything wink.gif

Dammit, I'll just get the Bogner and stop messing around with these half measures ... but even the Bogner Ecstasy has a Plexi mode blink.gif

laugh.gif just get a modeling amp with tubes, tubes and different sounds - like the Line 6 from the other thread, and get it overwith. biggrin.gif

I can asure you it's equaly problematic knowing what sound you're after while browsing for an amp.

Very often the first idea is the best *coghbognercogh*. But heck, it cost a barell or $$$ so that's a dilemma of course.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 4 2007, 05:41 AM
Hmm. I went and listened to those samples and then went to the Bogner site again ...

I'm getting a Bogner Ecstacy Classic when I can afford one ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 4 2007, 07:09 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Years ago I nearly bought a Seymour Duncan where you could swop out the tube circuit to mix/match/emulate other amp types. Deal fell through as the guy who was selling changed his mind dry.gif .

I've however came to the point where I'm less interested in emulating lots of amps and become more interested in getting an amp with a really good (clean) tone that I can then play with. You both know this argument so I'll not carry on. The Bogner, emulation aside, has based on those MP3s a wonderful clean tone. If you wnat Blackface, or Plexi etc there are loads of pedals that can do that for you... But to get a really good tone you need a good clean channel to 'adjust' in the first place.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:26 AM