22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 06:40 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them. Our highest ranking Soldier is currently at LEVEL 30.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/phil66sbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2016, 06:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 4 2016, 07:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you for having me Todd.
So is this first lesson four notes per beat?
Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 09:02 PM
There is no hard requirement. It's really whatever you can play clean. The only real criteria is that every note should be distinct and spaced evenly from every other note and I need to hear the metronome or whatever you are using for time as well as your guitar track. That's it smile.gif These first few lessons are very basic but contain bits that you will need in order to progress. Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 4 2016, 02:47 PM) *
Thank you for having me Todd.
So is this first lesson four notes per beat?
Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 4 2016, 09:16 PM
Ahhh thanks, I wondered what the target speed is. I mean if it's 160bpm doing one note per beat that's a bit different to doing four notes per beat.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2016, 08:47 PM
There is no "Target Speed". There are no requirements other than playing it as cleanly as you can. If you can play it clean at 240BPM great! if you can play it clean at 50 BPM that's great too! It doesn't matter at all really. Speed is not the point here. These are designed to get you to focus on your technique to develop your precision. After all "Speed is just a byproduct of precision". Find the speed for you by finding where it gets sloppy sounding and then slow down until it cleans up. That will be the speed to go for with your video. Make sense?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 4 2016, 04:16 PM) *
Ahhh thanks, I wondered what the target speed is. I mean if it's 160bpm doing one note per beat that's a bit different to doing four notes per beat.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 23 2016, 08:46 PM
Makes sense sarge wink.gif

I've been so busy but I am working on this now smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2016, 11:09 PM
We are ready when you are Soldier!! smile.gif No rush. When you are ready to post, we are ready to listen! smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 23 2016, 03:46 PM) *
Makes sense sarge wink.gif

I've been so busy but I am working on this now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 3 2016, 09:16 PM
Ok Todd,

Finally I have recorded something. I need to find a better way to record though. I can't see how to record the metronome in Reaper. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can so I'll dig deeper. I wonder if there is a VST metronome? I'll look for that too.

Anyway, here is 100bpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rAwNXhL9_8...eature=youtu.be

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2016, 11:57 PM
BINGO!!!! CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! This is your FIRST MISSION and you KILLED IT!!!!! Let's debrief...

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Maintained splendid palm mute / right hand control.
2.)Maintained tight and precise picking.
3.)Maintained control of each strike and it's timing.

This is exactly what I like to see. You really nailed it. I know these first few lessons are very simple, but they do help you get your production process smoothed out and get you ready for the HELL that's yet to come!! smile.gif

*If you want to record a metronome in reaper, try this!

A simple metronome is available under "Insert/Click Source"
Hilight the resulting item and hit "Ctrl+F2" to change parameters. Drag the edge to loop to the desired length.

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 3 2016, 04:16 PM) *
Ok Todd,

Finally I have recorded something. I need to find a better way to record though. I can't see how to record the metronome in Reaper. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can so I'll dig deeper. I wonder if there is a VST metronome? I'll look for that too.

Anyway, here is 100bpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rAwNXhL9_8...eature=youtu.be

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 21 2016, 11:02 PM
Hello Todd
Sorry I'm not a prolific soldier but I have to put these exercises at the back of Gab's lessons. I am trying to improve but life seems to take over most of the time.

Cheers buddy.

Speak when I return, so long as ISIS ; don't get me wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2016, 07:17 PM
If Gabe's lessons are helping you on your Journey then I'm all for it smile.gif That's the only reason GMC exists. Best of luck with them!!! Your bootcamp will still be here when you are ready to Shred!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 21 2016, 06:02 PM) *
Hello Todd
Sorry I'm not a prolific soldier but I have to put these exercises at the back of Gab's lessons. I am trying to improve but life seems to take over most of the time.

Cheers buddy.

Speak when I return, so long as ISIS ; don't get me wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 09:52 PM
OK, first attempt at Drill 2. I completely didn't play the final note then thought "Oh shoot!" and played it but I ran out of time to re-record so posted this anyway.

Cheers Todd.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2016, 11:48 AM
Welcome Back Soldier! Nice Axe!!

BINGO!!!!! Soldier, after seeing your playing in the Collab I have high expectation and you just met them!

Let's Debrief....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Steady pace without rushing or lagging.
2.)Solid Techniques on all fronts, right hand, left hand, picking, synch, nice!
3.)Keeping Good right hand position, planted on the bridge.

You are gonna rip through these missions like a hot kbar knife through butter!

You Sir have just earned your SECOND MISSION BADGE!!!!

and ...

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2016, 04:52 PM) *
OK, first attempt at Drill 2. I completely didn't play the final note then thought "Oh shoot!" and played it but I ran out of time to re-record so posted this anyway.

Cheers Todd.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 13 2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks Sarge,

Struggling a bit with the 3rd one, harder to keep the palm muting going.

Working on it though, only started on it tonight.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2016, 04:00 AM
Being able to palm mute while you are traverse picking is a KEY skill that you will use time and again throughout the SHRED JOURNEY. It does take some getting used to, but you can do it!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 13 2016, 03:31 PM) *
Thanks Sarge,

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 14 2016, 04:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2016, 03:56 AM
How is your palm muting coming along Soldier?

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 13 2016, 03:31 PM) *
Thanks Sarge,

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 29 2016, 09:49 AM
To be completely honest with you I have been neglecting exercise three, I couldn't seem to improve at all so it went onto the back burner but I am planning on starting to practise it again this weekend.

Sorry sarge.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 30 2016, 07:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 06:47 PM
No worries Soldier!! Sometimes a break is exactly what is needed. To step away from the instrument and come back, often provides a fresh perspective smile.gif Give em Hell!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 29 2016, 04:49 AM) *
To be completely honest with you I have been neglecting exercise three, I couldn't seem to improve at all so I went onto the back burner but I am planning on starting to practise it again this weekend.

Sorry sarge.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2016, 09:06 PM
Thanks Todd,

Just letting you know I had another go at this today, I got up to 190bpm with whole lick taking a bar. I started to get cramp in my forearm so had to stop laugh.gif

I am back on it now though, just gotta find time to fit it in, I certainly can't do 30 minutes a day though.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 10:08 PM
Keep in mind that "Speed is a byproduct of precision" so sometimes I see players actually getting in their own trying to play fast, when instead, the focus should really be on playing well. Speed will just happen as you go, especially in these Missions, it's inevitable smile.gif So don't kill yourself or make your arm hurt trying to reach a certain BPM. I realize it's hard to not try to play some of these as fast as possible, but fight it smile.gif I"d much rather see it played evenly and cleanly than briskly smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 6 2016, 04:06 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

Just letting you know I had another go at this today, I got up to 190bpm with whole lick taking a bar. I started to get cramp in my forearm so had to stop laugh.gif

I am back on it now though, just gotta find time to fit it in, I certainly can't do 30 minutes a day though.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:35 AM