Dumble Tones In A Pedal?
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 06:21 AM
GMC:er
You've probably heard of the legendary DUMBLE amps. You've probably not played one as they are quite rare and very expensive. Folks have been trying to capture that tone forever and stuff it in a pedal. According to PETE THORN, these guys may have actually done it!!! Give it a listen and tell me what you think? DUMBLE or FUMBLE?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2020, 06:26 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jun 9 2020, 05:50 PM
Tone Seeker
Sounds Sweet!
I had a simble pedal from mad doctors and it was a good od in dumble style.
Have any of you tried the vertex stuff?
I think they are a little cheaper.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2020, 08:58 PM
So you saying all their pedals sound this good? That's amazing. I'd never even heard of them before. Never tried the vertex stuff, did you like it at good as the dumble style pedal?

QUOTE (Huargo @ Jun 9 2020, 12:50 PM) *
Sounds Sweet!
I had a simble pedal from mad doctors and it was a good od in dumble style.
Have any of you tried the vertex stuff?
I think they are a little cheaper.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 9 2020, 09:19 PM
The Mad Professor 'Simble' is awesome!
Not as versatile as the one in the PT vid but it does the Over Drive Special mid heavy saturation as good as any other D-tone clone I've heard or tried.
https://www.mpamp.com/non_eu/simble-overdrive
I personally didn't like the Vertex because IMO - it's too compressed. Sounded great at home but didn't work for me live.

I'm sure this Gladio one is great but it's not 400 dollars great.

*Every, I repeat every Dumble is/was custom made. The amount of flavors of dirty and clean are as varied as there are ODS's and SSS's out there. Not too mention that Mr. Dumble modded many Fender BF amps and a lot of the "Dumble tones" we hear are modded Fender Concert amps.
SRV's 'Dumble' tones are way different than Robben Ford's - SSS v. ODS but again, totally personalized for the player.
Clapton uses one sometimes, so does EJ as does Santana and John Mayer ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 9 2020, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2020, 11:05 PM
I never knew any of this so thanks for the info!! So basically it's almost impossible to make a DUMBLE pedal as each dumble was made for each player. So folks really want that killer tone, but half of the tone is the player as always, so it's really nearly impossible to stuff it in a pedal unless they can stuff the player in there as well baseically?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 9 2020, 04:19 PM) *
The Mad Professor 'Simble' is awesome!
Not as versatile as the one in the PT vid but it does the Over Drive Special mid heavy saturation as good as any other D-tone clone I've heard or tried.
https://www.mpamp.com/non_eu/simble-overdrive
I personally didn't like the Vertex because IMO - it's too compressed. Sounded great at home but didn't work for me live.

I'm sure this Gladio one is great but it's not 400 dollars great.

*Every, I repeat every Dumble is/was custom made. The amount of flavors of dirty and clean are as varied as there are ODS's and SSS's out there. Not too mention that Mr. Dumble modded many Fender BF amps and a lot of the "Dumble tones" we hear are modded Fender Concert amps.
SRV's 'Dumble' tones are way different than Robben Ford's - SSS v. ODS but again, totally personalized for the player.
Clapton uses one sometimes, so does EJ as does Santana and John Mayer ...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 10 2020, 01:27 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 9 2020, 03:05 PM) *
I never knew any of this so thanks for the info!! So basically it's almost impossible to make a DUMBLE pedal as each dumble was made for each player. So folks really want that killer tone, but half of the tone is the player as always, so it's really nearly impossible to stuff it in a pedal unless they can stuff the player in there as well basically?

Pretty much.
There is a thick midrange signature that is associated with Robben Ford's "Blue Line" era tone which 90% of the D-tone pedals attempt to emulate. That's RF's custom ODS model. Worth noting are two things, 1) Robben Ford hasn't used his Dumble amps much on any of his last several records and he rarely if ever toured with them. 2) RF sounded pretty much exactly the same when he used to play through two Deluxe Reverbs with an overdrive pedal. *He uses a Zen Drive a lot.

SRV's 'Texas Flood' tone is a two amp split - Stevie's Fender Vibroverb and (Jackson Browne's) Dumble 'Steel String Singer'.

*The Zen Drive is probably ground zero for the D-Tone in a pedal. Primarily due to the fact that RF actually uses one when he tours. There are 5 iterations: the Original black and white designed by Alfonso Hermida, then the subsequent Love Pedal versions some of which were designed in conjunction with Alf Hermida - B&W, Gold, Red and all Black (black magik). Every model is slightly different. Red and all Black have the most gain. Gold is the cleaner version with slightly higher headroom.
Yes, I own four of them. An original + gold, red and black magik.
Yes, I have an problem with overdrive pedals.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 10 2020, 04:04 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2020, 02:58 AM
Good lord man!!!! I never knew that much about any of that. I hope that makes it's way in to WIKI!!! That kind of info is pure gold! FRAN ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

I knew it was complicated but I really didn't know it was that complicated. Tube screamers are sorta my thing in terms of being a history nerd on pedals and I mostly appreciate them from afar now that they are crazy pricey and my emulations that I get in my plugins and in my plugins and rack gear seem pretty darn close. I'm sure the real thing has a bit more mojo, but for the prices they are going for, I will just try to put the mojo in my hands where it belongs. The screamer on the 11 is darn close. I compared it with my actual screamer before I sold it. The screamer on OVERLOUD is also darn close. Can't tell in a mix which is which, only by listening to it by itself could I tell the difference. I have a "Thing" for expensive tube screamers for a while and even paid $300 for the PRO TONE MISHA MANSOOR version of his personal tube screamer before he gave up on them and started his own company to distribute through mxr. I waited 8 weeks for that darn pedal. I did love it!!! However, I finally realized I could sell this pedal and get an 11 rack for the same money. So yeah I sold it. It was cool looking though and it did sound great smile.gif

I even did a review on it for the wiki. Speaking, maybe you could do some reviews of your pedals for the wiki?
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...verdrive_Review

Attached Image

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 9 2020, 08:27 PM) *
Pretty much.
There is a thick midrange signature that is associated with Robben Ford's "Blue Line" era tone which 90% of the D-tone pedals attempt to emulate. That's RF's custom ODS model. Worth noting are two things, 1) Robben Ford hasn't used his Dumble amps much on any of his last several records and he rarely if ever toured with them. 2) RF sounded pretty much exactly the same when he used to play through two Deluxe Reverbs with an overdrive pedal. *He uses a Zen Drive a lot.

SRV's 'Texas Flood' tone is a two amp split - Stevie's Fender Vibroverb and (Jackson Browne's) Dumble 'Steel String Singer'.

*The Zen Drive is probably ground zero for the D-Tone in a pedal. Primarily due to the fact that RF actually uses one when he tours. There are 5 iterations: the Original black and white designed by Alfonso Hermida, then the subsequent Love Pedal versions some of which were designed in conjunction with Alf Hermida - B&W, Gold, Red and all Black. Every model is slightly different. Red and all Black have the most gain. Gold is the cleaner version with slightly higher headroom.
Yes, I own four of them. An original + gold, red and all black.
Yes, I have an problem with overdrive pedals.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 10 2020, 03:51 AM
Here's a long and boring video where I talk WAY too much but I go through three of them.
Original B&W and a Lovepedal Gold (Zen Drive II) and Lovepedal Red (red dot). I focus on their high gain, D-tone potential.
*I didn't have the black magik version yet.

And by the way, you can pick up all the Lovepedal era Zen Drives for usually less than $150.00 second hand. The 'Alf' originals go for around $400. Worth noting is that Alf Hermida oversees the Lovepedal production of the current Zens.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 10 2020, 04:10 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 11 2020, 05:03 AM
That is a killer little board and can do anything from Jazz to Hard Rock. It's a great example of stacking pedals of the same type together to be able to get different results. Nicely done!!

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 9 2020, 10:51 PM) *
Here's a long and boring video where I talk WAY too much but I go through three of them.
Original B&W and a Lovepedal Gold (Zen Drive II) and Lovepedal Red (red dot). I focus on their high gain, D-tone potential.
*I didn't have the black magik version yet.

And by the way, you can pick up all the Lovepedal era Zen Drives for usually less than $150.00 second hand. The 'Alf' originals go for around $400. Worth noting is that Alf Hermida oversees the Lovepedal production of the current Zens.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 11 2020, 05:04 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 11 2020, 05:20 PM
In that selection, the one's to 'stack' would be the Gold (Zen II) with an original version B&W.
Goldie has more headroom and a bit cleaner and the B&W has the super thick midrange with a lot of available gain. I have used my original Zen on jazz gigs.
A cool thing about about most of the Dumble ODS style pedals is that they have a knob that is either labeled Voice or Attack. It's sort of an upper mids boost or cut. It adds some pop (and cut) to your lines.

Here's a couple more 'Dumble' facts ...
Alexander (or Howard depending on which first name he wants to use) only made 300 amps in total. It's not clear if he is still building. Maybe a few a year - ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

Fuchs Amps, especially the ODS 50 Supreme is probably the closest you'll find to the real deal at anywhere near a reasonable price. *Ceriatone does a good job too.
The cool thing about the Fuchs is that you can get a software version of it for $150.00. Or try out the 14 day free trial if you have sub with plugin alliance or UA.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 11 2020, 09:04 PM

Here is a link to download the FUCHS plugin (native version runs on anything, doesn't need the UA interface)
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products...supreme_50.html

Runs for a couple weeks for free like ken said. It's as close to a DUMBLE as most of us are likely to ever get smile.gif

I didn't know he only ever made 300 amps! No wonder they go for such crazy prices. A dumble and a KLON pedal is like the Holy Grail to wads of folks and it should be as it costs more than my last car smile.gif

Here is a bit of a tone sample. it does have a very organic vibe to it. Sounds very "ampy" and not digital.

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 11 2020, 12:20 PM) *
In that selection, the one's to 'stack' would be the Gold (Zen II) with an original version B&W.
Goldie has more headroom and a bit cleaner and the B&W has the super thick midrange with a lot of available gain. I have used my original Zen on jazz gigs.
A cool thing about about most of the Dumble ODS style pedals is that they have a knob that is either labeled Voice or Attack. It's sort of an upper mids boost or cut. It adds some pop (and cut) to your lines.

Here's a couple more 'Dumble' facts ...
Alexander (or Howard depending on which first name he wants to use) only made 300 amps in total. It's not clear if he is still building. Maybe a few a year - ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

Fuchs Amps, especially the ODS 50 Supreme is probably the closest you'll find to the real deal at anywhere near a reasonable price. *Ceriatone does a good job too.
The cool thing about the Fuchs is that you can get a software version of it for $150.00. Or try out the 14 day free trial if you have sub with plugin alliance or UA.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 11 2020, 09:06 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 11 2020, 09:58 PM
There are many players who've inquired about Mr. Dumble making them an amp or modding an older Fender. If he likes you, he'll build you something and it actually won't cost you an arm and a leg. If he doesn't like you - you have to go buy one second hand somewhere or he 'may' ask for an exorbitant sum of money.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2020, 01:47 AM
Seems like it would make a cool music documentary smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 11 2020, 04:58 PM) *
There are many players who've inquired about Mr. Dumble making them an amp or modding an older Fender. If he likes you, he'll build you something and it actually won't cost you an arm and a leg. If he doesn't like you - you have to go buy one second hand somewhere or he 'may' ask for an exorbitant sum of money.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 12 2020, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 11 2020, 05:47 PM) *
Seems like it would make a cool music documentary smile.gif

I doubt he'd participate or even allow it. He's pretty reclusive.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2020, 08:49 AM
Maybe a fan will make something for youtube at some point. Might have to wait until after he passes away but I hope not!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 12 2020, 03:00 PM) *
I doubt he'd participate or even allow it. He's pretty reclusive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:39 AM