Best Way To Hold Pick?
Jaymz
Jun 19 2008, 06:20 AM
GMC:er
What is the best way to hold a pick? I think the way I hold is pretty good the only problem being my index finger gets in the way alot and after a while it hurts.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 19 2008, 06:40 AM
Learning Roadie
There is really not a good answer to this question. Everyone has to figure this way out on their own, and while some do it the same way as others, and how you hold the pick is important to get a good sound, try them all until you get one you can live with. Then you will only change it about a billion more times before you settle on one or maybe two depening on what you are playing. ;-) Here are some previous threads on this and if you have other questions/thoughts just post them here.
Rock on!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 19 2008, 06:44 AM
QUOTE (Jaymz @ Jun 19 2008, 12:20 AM) *
What is the best way to hold a pick? I think the way I hold is pretty good the only problem being my index finger gets in the way alot and after a while it hurts.

on post #8 of this thread MickeM shows the proper way to hold a pick. This is the way. Post #8 of this thread.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hl=holding+pick

Now you will read a bunch of people saying "way that is comfortable is the best", or "many ways you can hold it". All wrong, regardless of who they are, teachers or not. And some will point out some guitar god who does it a different way. All wrong, you can achieve success even with flaws, but not because of the flaws, in spite of them.

We have the benefit of internet, those of us who are learning now. Guys who learned before this, even 5 years ago, are probably not going to change their ways. However having the advantage of this site, and seeing it all for all practical purposes, I can definitively state, categorically state, there is only one optimal way to hold a pick, as shown above.

edit: I tuck it in even more than Mick does in that picture. My index actually curls up. Very little tip exposed. But it is the same basic method. I am tolerant enough to feel what mick does is fine, as I am a very broadminded and tolerant person.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 19 2008, 06:51 AM

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jun 19 2008, 09:29 AM
I just hold it between my thumb and index finger. My fingers might stretch out sometimes or they might not. I don't really know.

There may or may not be a perfect way for it, I mean look at Glenn Drover's goofy hands, I think Eddie Van Halen holds it that way too.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 19 2008, 12:05 PM
If you hold the pick between thumb and the side of your index finger, you can control the angle by 'rubbing' your index against your thumb.
Paul Gilbert shows how to do that in a video, but I can't find it on YouTube..

[EDIT]
Here it is:
Paul Gilbert Picking Lesson
Enjoy! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Jun 19 2008, 12:07 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2008, 05:26 PM
Instructor
There isn't a best way to hold a pick because people are different and everybody have different preferences. I would say holding a pick between thumb and index finger, so only the tip of the pick is peaking out of the two fingers that are joined is the most common way to do it. Of course this is not always the case that brings out the best results, so I suggest you analyze what works best for you during practice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:38 AM