Relationship Scales And Modes
snackajacks
Jan 6 2012, 11:17 AM
GMC:er
Well as I have a lot of spare time I am trying to understand modes, I read guides everywhere but the coin
doesn't hit.

if you have

Jonisch C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C
Dorisch D - E - F - G - A - B - C - D
Phrygisch E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E
Lydisch F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F
Mixolydisch G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G
Aeolisch A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A
Locrisch B - C - D - E - F - G - A - B

wouldn't this mean that it has nothing to do with the notes of modes but more the intervals ?
I understand that Ionisch = major and minor= aeolian

so if I would learn every mode on 1 position of the fretboard. Do I know all of the notes of that scale on
the fretboard ?

It know it sounds weird but Im really new to theory after 5 years of guitar.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2012, 11:21 AM
Instructor
Yes, it has everything to do with intervals.

Watch the intervals in C major (C Ionian) scale:

C - D - E = F - G - A - B = C

"-" stands for whole step (major second)
"=" stands for half step (minor second)

When you shift the tonic to another note, intervals stay where they are, so another scale (mode) is being formed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 6 2012, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 6 2012, 11:21 AM) *
Yes, it has everything to do with intervals.

Watch the intervals in C major (C Ionian) scale:

C - D - E = F - G - A - B = C

"-" stands for whole step (major second)
"=" stands for half step (minor second)

When you shift the tonic to another note, intervals stay where they are, so another scale (mode) is being formed.

that makes a lot of sense but they often say that if you know one position of all of the modes, you can play the whole
scale. is this correct ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Jan 6 2012, 11:27 AM) *
that makes a lot of sense but they often say that if you know one position of all of the modes, you can play the whole
scale. is this correct ?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but this applies to any pattern. If you play it in one key, you can easily play it in another, just by shifting the pattern left or right, so yes - in a way - you can learn it once and apply it in another position for another mode/key smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 6 2012, 06:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
You could check out my modes theory lessons :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5012
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3456

But essentially, if you know the pattern for a scale, such as C major, you also know the pattern for all of its modes as it is the same but with a different root note.

However, if you look at modes this way you will likely end up confusing yourself. Modes are not patterns, the fact that they share patterns is related to how they are generated but not what they are.

To truly understand modes, play all of them one after the other but with the same root note -

C Ionian
C Dorian
C Phrygian

etc

You will hear the subtle differences between them. If you focus on relative modes (like the modes you listed out) you won't hear the difference, as the notes are the same. Only when you understand this first part should you start to look at relative modes (modes that share the same notes) - in my experience that avoids a lot of confusion!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jan 6 2012, 06:47 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 6 2012, 06:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Jan 6 2012, 11:27 AM) *
scale. is this correct ?

Yes - if you know all the modes and their order (Ionian - Dorian - Phrygian......) you can essentially play for example the C major scale all over the neck!
You could start with ionian mode on root note C, then play the Dorian mode from note D and so on.

Since diatonic modes (that share the same key center) basically all share the same notes - they help you learn the whole neck/fretboard.
So if you find yourself soloing in D dorian and want to change your position - you know that to the left you have the C ionian and to the right E phrygian modes to play with (since those are same notes as D dorian).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 6 2012, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 6 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Yes - if you know all the modes and their order (Ionian - Dorian - Phrygian......) you can essentially play for example the C major scale all over the neck!
You could start with ionian mode on root note C, then play the Dorian mode from note D and so on.

Since diatonic modes (that share the same key center) basically all share the same notes - they help you learn the whole neck/fretboard.
So if you find yourself soloing in D dorian and want to change your position - you know that to the left you have the C ionian and to the right E phrygian modes to play with (since those are same notes as D dorian).

yess that was were I was looking for thanks !!

since I am not an active member I can't download the theory book I guess...

This post has been edited by snackajacks: Jan 6 2012, 07:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2012, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Try my "Mastering Diatonic Pattern" lesson CAGED system, for 5 positions of the diatonic scale for major keys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 6 2012, 11:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
Each mode has a 1 boxed pattern on fretboard, total of 7 positions. Since all 7 modes consists from the same notes of given scale if you learn those 7 boxes you can play the same scale all over the fretboard.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2012, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Another very important aspect about modes, lies in the fact that each mode sounds different due to particular notes in its structure. Ear training would be very good for you in this situation and it will help you master modes!

If you are into this idea, drop by on Thursday - I'm starting a course on modes smile.gif we'll be talking about the Ionian mode first so, I'll be glad if I could answer your questions wink.gif cheerios mate

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 7 2012, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
If your willing to spend a little money, then I'd recomend Frank Gambale's Modes no More mystery dvd. It really helped me to understand the application of modes and where to use them and to recognize modal chord progressions which is an important factor but rarely mentioned.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 7 2012, 09:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 7 2012, 03:18 PM) *
If your willing to spend a little money, then I'd recomend Frank Gambale's Modes no More mystery dvd. It really helped me to understand the application of modes and where to use them and to recognize modal chord progressions which is an important factor but rarely mentioned.

Great point - modes & chords are so intertwined that its hard to keep them apart, nor should you. For me, it was a study of the chord sequences and scales together that really made modes click for me.

Here are a couple of GMC lessons that illustrates the point:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ring-the-modes/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-chords-lesson/

These helped me no end.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 8 2012, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 7 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Another very important aspect about modes, lies in the fact that each mode sounds different due to particular notes in its structure. Ear training would be very good for you in this situation and it will help you master modes!

If you are into this idea, drop by on Thursday - I'm starting a course on modes smile.gif we'll be talking about the Ionian mode first so, I'll be glad if I could answer your questions wink.gif cheerios mate

Ill be there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 8 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Jan 8 2012, 09:48 AM) *
Ill be there!

Awesomeness biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 8 2012, 11:45 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 8 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Awesomeness biggrin.gif

I have also ordered Frank Gambale's Modes no More mystery !
Should be coming in on tuesday smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 9 2012, 11:12 AM
Learning Roadie
Realising it is to do with the intervals is the biggest brick wall you have scaled straight away!

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 9 2012, 11:21 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:02 AM