2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Havent Learned Any Songs Since I Am At Gmc
coffeeman
Feb 1 2008, 11:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Before GMC , I used to play a lot of songs , I searched for the tabs on the Internet and start to play so I really never practiced my technique , I just wanted to play songs from other people. Since I joined GMC Ive been working on my technique , I have learned lessons that I think can help me improve my playing, and Im working a lot on my own songs. So its going to be 6 months since I dont learn a song.

What is your experience about this subject?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 1 2008, 11:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm always thrilled when I can play a song due to my practice off gmc that I could not play half a year ago

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Feb 1 2008, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
i think GMC should have a Learn This Song page

stuff like

Enter Sandaman
Constant Motion
Pink Panther
Happy Birthday
Johny B Goode

i cant play any song in its fullness so when i try to show my mom that i am serious i can only show Power Chords O.o
and some small riffs

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Feb 1 2008, 11:47 PM
Experienced Rock Star
They already said enough times that they need to handle the copyright situation

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 1 2008, 11:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok , but Im not saying that I havent learned any songs because they aren't at GMC , IM saying that I preffer to practice on the lessons , pratice on my playing and focusing on my own stuff than learning a song with tabs on the internet.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Feb 1 2008, 11:58 PM
oh right copyright smile.gif

yeah your right

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 2 2008, 12:07 AM
Never learned a full song in my whole time playing guitars.

Just little bits that I like

Learning other peoples music off of pure tab is liek pulling teeth. I enjoy pulling them out by ear though much more rewarding.

tj

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 2 2008, 12:09 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
wylde guitar
Feb 2 2008, 12:11 AM
This is good and something you should definitely keep doing but...

when you learn a song there are advantages too, and learning only songs has disadvantages...
Advantages
1. It's easier to play long because you should enjoy learning it more (generally)
2. You can easily challenge yourself learning solos that include the techniques you learn, because after you do the same scales over and over your hands will only get used to that (for example the sweep picking in the intro of Fade to Black by Metallica, you have to learn to sweep down to the 3rd string, and instead of going straight up to the 2nd string, you have to start again at string 1 and go back down).
3. If you're ever playing live people prefer listening to covers instead of you're originals until you've made a name for yourself and your band.
4. It's much easier to get yourself playing and not sit on the couch.

Disadvantages
1. You will never learn things like sweeping, tapping, speedpicking properly. Most likely you'd skip that and learn the rest of the song.
2. Your improv will be all stolen riffs, and probably sound very repetitive.
3. You won't have your own style at all, you'll sound like every other band...

Just to name a few. You need to find your balance of learning techniques, scales, songs and all the other things there are to learn in guitar imo, however don't feel you need to learn an entire song, learn the parts YOU enjoy.

This post has been edited by wylde guitar: Feb 2 2008, 12:14 AM

--------------------
As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool.

-Eddie Van Halen

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 2 2008, 12:29 AM
Instructor
Well my friend you got to ask yourself do you really want to learn songs? And do you need to? If you don't then you shouldn't care. The most important thing is to learn to play well, songs are relatively easy to learn when the time comes. So I would suggest focusing on your playing abilities, forget the songs. Only if you must learn some songs then you do it, othewise, whats the point? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 2 2008, 12:35 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 1 2008, 06:29 PM) *
Well my friend you got to ask yourself do you really want to learn songs? And do you need to? If you don't then you shouldn't care. The most important thing is to learn to play well, songs are relatively easy to learn when the time comes. So I would suggest focusing on your playing abilities, forget the songs. Only if you must learn some songs then you do it, othewise, whats the point? smile.gif

Thats exactly what I am talking about. I dont really want to learn songs I want to be a great player in my own style, I dont want to be a great cover guitar player.

Thanks for your answer Ivan.

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Feb 2 2008, 12:35 AM

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 2 2008, 12:43 AM
Instructor
Well that's the good question.
If you look at lessons here as a tunes then you've learned a tons of them. wink.gif
And if you wanna learn some hits,riffs etc then simply listen to the tune many times,
sing it along and try to figure out chords by ear.
Only when you have real troubles then it's time to look into tabs,not before,my suggestion.
I'm repeating myself I know,sing as much as possible.
It develops ear training,mind training and many other things.
Play the music but don't forget to listen to it,in the car,on the radio,sing it,
that's the key I believe. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 2 2008, 12:52 AM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Feb 1 2008, 04:50 PM) *
Ok , but Im not saying that I havent learned any songs because they aren't at GMC , IM saying that I preffer to practice on the lessons , pratice on my playing and focusing on my own stuff than learning a song with tabs on the internet.

similar. I focus on lessons and perfecting the songs I know (few but very difficult ones). I am thinking of taking on a new song though. maybe. not my own stuff. that can wait. if I come up with something that I don't want to forget, I will record it on reaper, but not dwell on it, not at this point.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 2 2008, 03:15 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 1 2008, 06:52 PM) *
similar. I focus on lessons and perfecting the songs I know (few but very difficult ones). I am thinking of taking on a new song though. maybe. not my own stuff. that can wait. if I come up with something that I don't want to forget, I will record it on reaper, but not dwell on it, not at this point.

How are you doing with Canon fkalich? Interested to hear how it is going, and maybe one day you will post us a recorig smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Iluha
Feb 2 2008, 09:11 AM
Well it's a yes and no situation for me, I still learn songs occasionly but only when I REALLY feel connected to the songs, I no longer learn songs just so that I can brag I know how to play something XD

Hell, with the theory and technique I aquired here I can learn alot of songs by ear and in an instant so there's not actual need to learn any songs except for specific ones! biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 2 2008, 10:18 AM
Lets go fishing!
Well as a "child of gmc" I have never even wanted nor tried to play any famous songs/tracks .... It just does not even enter my head to want too smile.gif Maybe because GMC taught me from the start how to "do it properly". I think the whole message about being a unique and skilled guitarist is so ingrained in my playing that its become a part of me.

GMC contains many tunes/songs whatever you call them, they are just orginally written for the site. If i can play them to the standard they should be played at, im sure tackling a few famous tunes isnt going to be a biggy.

At the end of the day, the way I see it, a note is a note - if you heard it on the radio or on GMC it doesent matter. smile.gif When I was totally new guitar all I wanted to do was start learning songs from songbooks. I wanted to play some Queen, the Darkness etc... I soon realised that so was not the way to devlop myself and so I hunted around the internet for some structured lessons - guess where I ended up wink.gif laugh.gif

The bottom line is that sometimes if forgotten is that GMC lessons give YOU the skills you need to be a great guitarist. Once your at a "good" level you'll be able to tackle anything. cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 2 2008, 10:19 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 1 2008, 08:15 PM) *
How are you doing with Canon fkalich? Interested to hear how it is going, and maybe one day you will post us a recorig smile.gif

thanks for asking. i will upload My Grandfather's Clock first.

Here is it by the guy who arranged it. I pretty much play it like him, tons of harmonics. Although i play the Les Paul, so it has a more full sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7ICC2D_8K8

I am pretty satisfied with it. Nearly perfected, or I like it as much as his. And he plays it real clean. Just a couple places where I am prettttttty close to perfect note groups. I think I got the tapping at the end perfected as of today. Will let you know when I do upload it. Will want to discuss it objectively, what I can do to improve the sound, how I mix with the backing, stuff like that. I don't expect everyone to love my style, but that is fine. I basically like what I call "Rhythm and Shred" style.

edit: I don't want to get too cocky. he has a light touch, I am working towards that, but he has more finesse, much more experience. But he lacks a good vibrato, I have a frequent vibrato. I have noticed that about most the Asian guitarists I have heard, weak vibrato. Also, my harmonics ring out better. I just noticed that. I thought his did, but I can hear now that I have improved on those. Mine must be pretty crazy, I used to think his were crazy. Those are the reasons I say I like mine as much as his. But I realize he has a lighter touch, and I am sure he is a zillion times more consistent. as I said, don't want to sound too cocky.

Canon. I could upload it, I think I play it quite well and clean at 150bpm, but at the standard 200bpm imperfections come in, in a few places.

I agree with JerryC, the song is not hard. But i have to add, provided you are happy slopping out the difficult sections as he does. Below is an example. I could slop this out as he does. BUT.....you have 4 note groups there, and each should stand out, all notes be clean. I can't do this to my satisfaction yet. Also the sweep sequence up and down the neck in the second half of the song (and those 8 miserable 16th notes that precede them) are not to my satisfaction. I expect every note to stand out, or it is not right. Very hard to move positions on sweeps at that speed, and have the last note of the 1st sweep ring out clear, as well as the 1st note of the 2nd sweep. As I said, I have yet to see anyone do that, JerryC might as well be playing drums, all percussive pick. But he does that well so he pulls it off.

I have found the trick. Actually I discovered it before. Pull off and hammers at that speed are counterproductive, you need to AP those notes on the 1st string. The thing is, it take extra time to pull off and hammer, you can go faster and clearly with the pick there. You have to look at the last two notes on the first sweep and the first two notes on the next sweep as "chuck-ahhh chuck-ahhhh", two fast AP back and forth in sequence. And you have for really cut into it, to do that at that speed. Getting closer.

|-----5-----|
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S H. Q
-----------14-15-17-15-14----------------------------|------------------------|
--14-15-17----------------17-15-14----------14-15-17-|--17b~------------22----|
-----------------------------------16-14-16----------|------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------|------------------------|

I will do Grandfather's Clock first, and then see if I will do the Canon slower, or wait till I get it perfect to my satisfaction at 200bpm. I may sound picky, but lets say GMC has influenced me to do it right when I do it.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 2 2008, 10:37 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 2 2008, 12:22 PM
I always think it is important to take the technique that you have learned from GMC and pick a song to learn with a similar idea in a song you like and then even more important is to try and write your own material using the technique and then you'll know the technique and how to apply.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 2 2008, 12:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 2 2008, 10:18 AM) *
guess where I ended up wink.gif laugh.gif

Where did you end up Matt?Is everything OK?Are you safe? huh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 2 2008, 12:51 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 2 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Where did you end up Matt?Is everything OK?Are you safe? huh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

I just dont know unsure.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Can anyone show me the way back?? wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 2 2008, 02:27 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Feb 2 2008, 04:19 AM) *
thanks for asking. i will upload My Grandfather's Clock first.

Thanks for that link - I always loved that tune - thats a really cool version. Have to say I admire your high stabdards, looking forward to hearing this and Canon, but only when you are ready smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:48 PM