13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2019, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bitly.com/victorsbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 12 2020, 04:52 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 20 2019, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2019, 10:09 PM) *
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/victorsbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2019, 05:03 AM
Welcome To Bootcamp Soldier!!! You've done great on your first Mission here. These first few are just about working out the kinks. I can hear the metronome just fine but the guitar is maybe a pinch quiet, not a deal killer. Maybe a bit more guitar volume next on Mission 2. All of the Missions are linked in the main link which is part of the original post in this thread. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Solid Palm Mute. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. NICE!!!

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. No rushing or lagging. Score!!!

In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Looking forward to Mission 2!!!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 20 2019, 02:24 AM) *

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 21 2019, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you, I am happy that I passed the lesson.

I think I can play it faster, but I am afraid not to mess things, but I also want to push my speed.

I will post lesson 2 soon.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2019, 04:03 AM) *
Welcome To Bootcamp Soldier!!! You've done great on your first Mission here. These first few are just about working out the kinks. I can hear the metronome just fine but the guitar is maybe a pinch quiet, not a deal killer. Maybe a bit more guitar volume next on Mission 2. All of the Missions are linked in the main link which is part of the original post in this thread. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Solid Palm Mute. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. NICE!!!

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues.

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. No rushing or lagging. Score!!!

In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Looking forward to Mission 2!!!!
Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2019, 08:02 PM
Keep in mind that speed is a by product of precision. Each Mission is about playing with as much precision as possible. Speed comes from repetition of precision. Eventually, you will notice that you are playing at insane speed without tensing up, without even really working very hard. It will just be natural.
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 21 2019, 09:32 AM) *
Thank you, I am happy that I passed the lesson.

I think I can play it faster, but I am afraid not to mess things, but I also want to push my speed.

I will post lesson 2 soon.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 24 2019, 02:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here is lesson #2, you can see the speeds written in the Video

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2019, 07:02 PM) *
Keep in mind that speed is a by product of precision. Each Mission is about playing with as much precision as possible. Speed comes from repetition of precision. Eventually, you will notice that you are playing at insane speed without tensing up, without even really working very hard. It will just be natural.
Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 25 2019, 03:46 AM
Happy Holidays!! Xmas break is a great time to put in some extra practice and get some work in on your long terms music goals! To Wit! Mission 2. You got this sorted. It's a very simple Mission that is really just about hand synch. if one can't play this bit, there is no point in going further in to the more complicated bits. The good news is you can play this with no problem. I can already see your hand synch improving. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: First off I want to see good form on this one. You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: The second thing I"m looking for is your tempo. Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Lastly I like to see a big of aggressive style. You have aggression to spare!!!
You are on a roll Soldier!! Keep it up!!!You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 24 2019, 09:13 AM) *
Hi,

Here is lesson #2, you can see the speeds written in the Video

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 25 2019, 03:47 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 25 2019, 10:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Thank you,

I will proceed by practicing LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings, I will play it as triplets and 8th notes, meaning that each time I change a string the metronome click will hit the first note. (3 notes per beat)

Not sure how I should practice LESSON #4 - Right Hand / Left Hand Synchronization, because there are 5 notes on a string, I am not sure how the notes should fit in a measure and where to put the metronome click. The easiest way for me I think would be to just put the click on the first note when I change the string, that means I would play 5 notes per beat.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 25 2019, 02:46 AM) *
Happy Holidays!! Xmas break is a great time to put in some extra practice and get some work in on your long terms music goals! To Wit! Mission 2. You got this sorted. It's a very simple Mission that is really just about hand synch. if one can't play this bit, there is no point in going further in to the more complicated bits. The good news is you can play this with no problem. I can already see your hand synch improving. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: First off I want to see good form on this one. You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: The second thing I"m looking for is your tempo. Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Lastly I like to see a big of aggressive style. You have aggression to spare!!!
You are on a roll Soldier!! Keep it up!!!You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2019, 02:45 AM
For any lesson like Mission 4 where there an odd number of notes, just change your metronome to clicks only. Most metronomes have this feature. BY default, it's usually 3 clicks and one slightly different tone to let you know the end of one measure. By changing it to just clicks, you can focus on striking the string each time you hear a click. For Mission 4, it's a slightly different pattern on each string. So it's not the same thing being played on both even though the notes are the same, the pattern for each string is slightly different. It loops quite well though. Give it a go and hit me up with any questions!
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 25 2019, 05:18 AM) *
Thank you,

I will proceed by practicing LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings, I will play it as triplets and 8th notes, meaning that each time I change a string the metronome click will hit the first note. (3 notes per beat)

Not sure how I should practice LESSON #4 - Right Hand / Left Hand Synchronization, because there are 5 notes on a string, I am not sure how the notes should fit in a measure and where to put the metronome click. The easiest way for me I think would be to just put the click on the first note when I change the string, that means I would play 5 notes per beat.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 26 2019, 09:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks,

I think I understand, but not sure if I should go with 8th notes or 16th notes.
I think it's easier for me to go with 8th notes because I know that I have to fit 2 notes on a click

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 26 2019, 01:45 AM) *
For any lesson like Mission 4 where there an odd number of notes, just change your metronome to clicks only. Most metronomes have this feature. BY default, it's usually 3 clicks and one slightly different tone to let you know the end of one measure. By changing it to just clicks, you can focus on striking the string each time you hear a click. For Mission 4, it's a slightly different pattern on each string. So it's not the same thing being played on both even though the notes are the same, the pattern for each string is slightly different. It loops quite well though. Give it a go and hit me up with any questions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2019, 09:49 AM
If you can keep it to one note per click it will probably make things easier in that you know you need to strike once, at the same time of the click. Just crank up the BPM or down as needed to find the spot where you can play without too much hand tension, and still strike once per click. Does that make sense?

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 26 2019, 04:08 AM) *
Thanks,

I think I understand, but not sure if I should go with 8th notes or 16th notes.
I think it's easier for me to go with 8th notes because I know that I have to fit 2 notes on a click

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Dec 26 2019, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, it makes sense.
But for lesson 3 I can play triplets per click, 3 notes per click, if that is ok.

And for lesson for I think I can go with 1 note per click, or should I practice all with one note per click?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 26 2019, 08:49 AM) *
If you can keep it to one note per click it will probably make things easier in that you know you need to strike once, at the same time of the click. Just crank up the BPM or down as needed to find the spot where you can play without too much hand tension, and still strike once per click. Does that make sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 27 2019, 02:27 AM
I'm sure we can work it out smile.gif Do what works best for you and we will go from there. In general, if you can match a click to a pick strike, it can be helpful. It allows you to synch your time with the clock. It won't work for every lick, it's just something to keep in mind as you go. After a while, you will become your own metronome. That click will live inside your head. I can't play guitar without hearing it in my head. It keeps me playing in synch/time smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Dec 26 2019, 03:47 PM) *
Yes, it makes sense.
But for lesson 3 I can play triplets per click, 3 notes per click, if that is ok.

And for lesson for I think I can go with 1 note per click, or should I practice all with one note per click?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 4 2020, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

Playing triplets 8th notes at 100, 120, 140 and 160BPM.

Please let me know what you think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2020, 10:43 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! I can see your precision/speed is already starting to increase. I can tell you are pushing yourself which is good! You will get out of Bootcamp exactly what you put in to it, so pushing the envelope is always a good thing. I did notice that towards the end of the faster passes you start to lose tracking on the beat just a pinch and start to rush ahead just slightly. It's a natural thing actually since the hand is trying to push forward, it sometimes gets ahead of the beat. It's very slight though so it's not enough to keep you from leveling up. I think you have gotten out of this Mission everything that I wanted to see. Let's Debrief!!!

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: The first thing I'm looking for is a solid palm mute. This lick is non stop string traverse so poor muting will result in rampant string noise. Not a problem here, solid as a rock. keep that up!

*PICKING STEADY ON: The second thing I'm looking for is steady picking rate. Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. You do rush just a pinch at the end of the faster passes but it's very slight and will correct itself as you move forward.

*ENDURANCE: Lastly, I built this one to test endurance. Without good endurance the fingers just start to fail and lose hand synch. You've got very good hand endurance and you synch is tight. Nice!!!

In short, you've got this sorted and are ready for what's ahead! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 4 2020, 01:25 PM) *
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

Playing triplets 8th notes at 100, 120, 140 and 160BPM.

Please let me know what you think.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 9 2020, 01:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Thank you.

I am currently working on the next lesson.
Yes I am pushing myself.
Not sure if I should keep pushing or if I should play it safe, or how much should I push myself?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 4 2020, 09:43 PM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! I can see your precision/speed is already starting to increase. I can tell you are pushing yourself which is good! You will get out of Bootcamp exactly what you put in to it, so pushing the envelope is always a good thing. I did notice that towards the end of the faster passes you start to lose tracking on the beat just a pinch and start to rush ahead just slightly. It's a natural thing actually since the hand is trying to push forward, it sometimes gets ahead of the beat. It's very slight though so it's not enough to keep you from leveling up. I think you have gotten out of this Mission everything that I wanted to see. Let's Debrief!!!

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: The first thing I'm looking for is a solid palm mute. This lick is non stop string traverse so poor muting will result in rampant string noise. Not a problem here, solid as a rock. keep that up!

*PICKING STEADY ON: The second thing I'm looking for is steady picking rate. Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. You do rush just a pinch at the end of the faster passes but it's very slight and will correct itself as you move forward.

*ENDURANCE: Lastly, I built this one to test endurance. Without good endurance the fingers just start to fail and lose hand synch. You've got very good hand endurance and you synch is tight. Nice!!!

In short, you've got this sorted and are ready for what's ahead! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2020, 09:57 PM
Forward momentum is more important than getting too hung up on any one Mission. There are many Missions ahead and each one adds to the previous one. You will have plenty of chances to work on your speed as you go. It's more important that you find your limit on each mission in terms of being able to play it in a precise manner andthen move on to the next one. If possible set yourself a schedule, for example,one Mission per week. That way you don't over practice any particular mission.

Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 9 2020, 08:17 AM) *
Hi,

Thank you.

I am currently working on the next lesson.
Yes I am pushing myself.
Not sure if I should keep pushing or if I should play it safe, or how much should I push myself?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 10 2020, 06:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Here I am playing 16th notes in a 5/4 measure.
This lick fits twice on each measure.

I think it sounds pretty well the video (I mean the audio ), so I did not used the audio that was recorded separately, the audio is the same that was recorded with my cam.

I play at 80, 90 and 100BPM, respectively.

I think I lost the timing in the beginning because when I started I was not sure how fast or slow was 80 BPM.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 9 2020, 08:57 PM) *
Forward momentum is more important than getting too hung up on any one Mission. There are many Missions ahead and each one adds to the previous one. You will have plenty of chances to work on your speed as you go. It's more important that you find your limit on each mission in terms of being able to play it in a precise manner andthen move on to the next one. If possible set yourself a schedule, for example,one Mission per week. That way you don't over practice any particular mission.

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2020, 07:34 AM
The lick is not easy to match to a metronome with the 3 clicks and one pop. It's easier if you match your pick strikes to clicks only and turn off the 4th sound typically but whatever works for you works for me smile.gif You drift a pinch but your playing in a precise manner which is what I want to see. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: Keeping a steady palm mute without moving your pick hand all over the place is key. You have a good and centered technique here. keep that up!
*PICKING STEADY ON: Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. If your picking rushes or drags, it will ruin your ability to play briskly with precision. Great to see your picking is solid and steady!! This will serve you well as you work on your speed.
*ENDURANCE: I have not had a chance to really see your endurance on display until Mission 4 and I'm impressed. This Mission is one that can burn your arm off if you are not doing it correctly which is sorta the point of Mission 4.
You checked all the boxes I'm looking for on this one. You are ready for Mission 5!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

Sarge

P.S. I'm updating these a bit as we go for clarification sake with our Guru of all things WIKI Mr. Fran Himself!!!
This is the updated Tab pic and the update guitar pro 5 tab file.
Attached File  4Fix.gp5 ( 2.07K ) Number of downloads: 1386

Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 10 2020, 01:51 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Here I am playing 16th notes in a 5/4 measure.
This lick fits twice on each measure.

I think it sounds pretty well the video (I mean the audio ), so I did not used the audio that was recorded separately, the audio is the same that was recorded with my cam.

I play at 80, 90 and 100BPM, respectively.

I think I lost the timing in the beginning because when I started I was not sure how fast or slow was 80 BPM.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 18 2020, 02:07 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 14 2020, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

I am currently practicing Lesson #5, I am trying my best to make it match the beat perfectly.
I will post it in a few days, but before that I have a question on how to practice Lesson #6 - Pedal Point?

I attached the Guitar Pro file.

As you can see measure 8/4, 8th notes and triples, the click will match the notes with 12, 14, 16, which is perfect for me.
But to do this I have to start with a small "rest", and that is a little strange.

What are your thoughts on this?

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Jan 15 2020, 07:20 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LESSON__6___Pedal_Point.gp5 ( 2.13K ) Number of downloads: 2855

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:33 AM