Made available my free app at Chrome Store: frєt{notes}
KenA
Jun 27 2020, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone,

Just posting the info for this app that may be used to learn, study, preview, etc ,
things related to the guitar fretboard. From Scales, related Modes, Intervals,
add/del strings, changing tunings, etc.

Nothing fancy, but it helps me so maybe it may help you too.

It's free and available as a Google Chrome Extension. Since posting links is a bit
suspicious
, in case you're interested in, just go to the Google Chrome Store and
search for the word: fretnotes or fret{notes}

ps. once installed, read the content in the box: Keyboard Shortcuts and the next box
that contains info about editing: color, insert and delete notes. With that in mind
you're good to use the app.

All the Best, Ken

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by KenA: Jun 29 2020, 11:05 PM

--------------------
===KenA===
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2020, 06:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks buddy, I'll check it out, if I find it useful I'll donate wink.gif

Is there going to be an android and ios version?

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 27 2020, 06:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
KenA
Jun 27 2020, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 28 2020, 02:16 AM) *
Thanks buddy, I'll check it out, if I find it useful I'll donate wink.gif

Is there going to be an android and ios version?

Cheers

Hi Phill66, well never say never, but in case I port for android & ios, i'll definitely have to rethink 2 main things: screen real estate and more important Javascript for android & ios. In other words, I'll have to code it again, heheh ...

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2020, 07:20 PM
I understand wink.gif

I'm not sure it's displaying correctly on mine, look at the bottom left and middle boxes wink.gif also, and it's probably me being a numpty, but why is there no natural minor scales in there? Is it because it's assumed that we will know the relative minor of each major?

It does look very promising though buddy.

Some more questions, sorry, you're probably going to regret me finding this rolleyes.gif

Is there a way to lock the "show intervals" function? Every time I click on a scale the intervals display disappears.

What is R35 that the triangle displays?

Thanks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2020, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the app! Very cool. PHIL there is a natural minor, just under the traditional name "AEOLIAN" here it is in A. had to find it as it's my fave scale smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 27 2020, 02:20 PM) *
I understand wink.gif

I'm not sure it's displaying correctly on mine, look at the bottom left and middle boxes wink.gif also, and it's probably me being a numpty, but why is there no natural minor scales in there? Is it because it's assumed that we will know the relative minor of each major?

Some more questions, sorry, you're probably going to regret me finding this rolleyes.gif

Is there a way to lock the "show intervals" function? Every time I click on a scale the intervals display disappears.

Thanks

+Quote Post
KenA
Jun 27 2020, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 28 2020, 03:20 AM) *
I understand wink.gif

Thanks

Hi Phil66, my I thought was: when you click on a new scale (root note), everything starts fresh. But now that you said: lock the intervals function, actually that maybe doable ... I do have to do some thinking on that ... initially the intervals function and all the editing was thought as some kind of "sketch mode", that's why for ex.: if you do some editing on one string and then you change the tuning, all editing will be lost, because tuning will re-bind the initial notes to the string, unless of course I decide to save state ...

The R35 will display the Root 3rd and 5th of the scale in use, that's why I used a Triangle ... for Ionian and Aeolian I've use an image of pentagram to represent Pentatonic ... the "S" keyboard shortcut displays all scale notes ...

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 28 2020, 03:25 AM) *
Congrats on the app! Very cool. PHIL there is a natural minor, just under the traditional name "AEOLIAN" here it is in A. had to find it as it's my fave scale smile.gif

Attached Image

Thanks Todd, yeap Aeolian for Nat. Min. ... what is cool about the first family, aka Major Scales is that if well observed, we can see how the Circle of 5ths and 4ths are constructed and that both Circles of... are mere consequence of relocating the base scale, eg:

C D E F G A B C : 1st tetrachord is C D E F & 2nd tetrachord is G A B C, now you relocate the 2nd tetrachord to the beginning of the new scale: G A B C and complete it with the D E F# G, using the whole and half steps rules for a major scale, it results in:
G A B C D E F# G : here you find the 1st sharp accidental. If you to the same process again:
D E F# G A B C# D, and so on. This is the origin of the Circle of 5ths

For the Circle of 4ths, you "break" the scale on 4th note, apply the W W h W W W h rule and find the flat accidentals eg:
C D E F G A B C
F G A Bb C D E F
Bb C D Eb F G A Bb, etc

But of course, I've created methods/functions to do just that.

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2020, 09:34 PM
Thanks Todd and Ken,

I messed around and discovered that aeolian is natural minor by looking at the pentatonic diagrams. I sussed out the start (pentagram) before I noticed the shortcut box. I saw R35 which I read as "R thirty five" and thought it was something to do with scale formulas, googled it and kept finding links to the Nissan Skyline laugh.gif.

The reason I asked about natural minor is that it has links to harmonic and melodic minor so I thought it would have natural minor, I guess it's my lack of musical knowledge.

I think I'll find it handy so I'm going to donate a few quid, I like the interval display I just wish it was on or off permanently but that's me. Its a great learning tool just not immediately intuitive to me but that's a personal thing.

I think it would be great if the scale generator had some of these features.

Thanks Ken and apologies for "complaining" it was critique not criticism though wink.gif

Cheers

Stay safe

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 27 2020, 09:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
KenA
Jun 28 2020, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 28 2020, 05:34 AM) *
... I like the interval display I just wish it was on or off permanently but that's me...

Hi Phil66,

I actually think your logic of keeping the Intervals on, once activated makes more sense and I just uploaded a new version of the app. According to the Google team that's responsible for the store, every upload or version publishing must pass their checking first so they are sure no malicious code are in the app. It is now in "pending publishing" phase.

The way I understood regarding updates to the apps, once it is approved, the updates will automatically reflect on the browser of the user that is using the app, eg. there is no need to reinstall it. Let's see if that's true? I'm coding from some time, but I'm new to browser extensions ... let's wait a bit ...

Thanks all for the feedback ... always help on improvements and new ideas ... :-)

This post has been edited by KenA: Jun 28 2020, 02:17 AM

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 28 2020, 06:09 AM
Thanks Ken,

Looking forward to learning from this app. Did you check out the bottom left and middle boxes? They display stuff that isn't needed by the user.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
KenA
Jun 28 2020, 06:50 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 28 2020, 02:09 PM) *
... Did you check out the bottom left and middle boxes? They display stuff that isn't needed by the user...

You mean these two boxes?

If so, the Left one shows instructions on how to Color, Delete, Insert and change the Tunings on the main/top fretboard and the Right box displays some legal notes/links that is mandatory in apps, even if it's a free one

Important: the 2 boxes, Keyboard Shortcuts and the bottom Left one are key for better use the app!

ps. the update in the Chrome Store is still awaiting approval ... I guess it's because Sundays are off so probably tomorrow :-(

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 28 2020, 09:11 AM
QUOTE (KenA @ Jun 28 2020, 06:50 AM) *
You mean these two boxes?

If so, the Left one shows instructions on how to Color, Delete, Insert and change the Tunings on the main/top fretboard and the Right box displays some legal notes/links that is mandatory in apps, even if it's a free one

Important: the 2 boxes, Keyboard Shortcuts and the bottom Left one are key for better use the app!

ps. the update in the Chrome Store is still awaiting approval ... I guess it's because Sundays are off so probably tomorrow :-(

Sorry, my mistake, I thought they were developer notes, I wasn't very switched on yesterday rolleyes.gif No worries about the update, I can wait wink.gif

One other thing, is there any more in the instruction box? I can see what's in the image below, just wondering if there's anything I should be able to see other than what's there. As there's no scroll bar I can't see anything further.

My lack of theory knowledge is making me ask why it will only display pentatonic and penta + blue note in Ionian and Aeolian modes but not the others, can you please explain. Thank you.

By the way, I've made a small donation, I think this is going to help me understand scale and chord structure better. Thank you for releasing this.

UPDDATE:
The app has been updated, I thought I'd check and I removed it and reinstalled it and it works now, it leaves the interval display toggled until you switch it off. This app is pretty close to perfect for my needs and I am already understanding the fretboard a little more. Thank you again Ken, you da man cool.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 28 2020, 08:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
KenA
Jun 29 2020, 12:54 AM
Hey Phil, first of thank you for the donation. That's really a nice gesture and I really appreciate it!

I saw that there's an issue when displaying the image, probably font size issue since we all use different font sizes and display resolutions. I'll see what I can do and the fixes will reflect on the next update. Sorry for that!

About the Penta and Penta Blue only in Ionian and Aeolian: the main reason why I decided to show the pentatonic only in these 2 modes is because for Ionian it would naturally falls to the Major Penta and for Aeolian for the Minor Penta we all know. The added blue note for Major Penta forms the Major Blues Scale and for the Minor Penta forms the Minor Blues Scale.

We could, for any other mode, derive the respective Penta(s), maybe we could call it "Modal Pentatonics", but if we do so, it's very important to pay attention when choosing the notes to form this desired Penta. Let's see an example, let's take the full scale A Lydian:

R maj2 maj3 aug4 P5 maj6 maj7
A B C# D# E F# G#

which 5 notes would we choose from those 7 notes above?

- we can compare the lydian scale with A major scale: A B C# D E F# G# , because the Lydian scale can be thought of a major scale with an aug4th, so the only different note when comparing is the D# or aug4th , this note D# we will for sure choose as one of the 5 notes

- by looking at the Lydian scale we can definitely say that the Penta we want is going to be some kind of Major Penta type. The A Major Penta notes are: A B C# E F# , but since we want the D# to give us the Lydian sound we need to replace 1 note from the A Major Penta.

- One option is to replace of the 5th: A B C# D# F#
- but we could replace 5th and instead of using the 6th, replace it for the 7th : A B C# D# G#

As you see, there's not an strict rule, except that we need the characteristic note(s) added in order to construct a modal pentatonic. I probably don't play this way when playing something modal, I believe i'm thinking full modal scale? One of the reasons I decided to not include presets for modal pentatonics.

Hope that info above helps ...

When experimenting with this scale "mods", you'll notice that sometimes we end with some "uncomfortable" playing shapes.

This post has been edited by KenA: Jun 29 2020, 02:09 AM

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 29 2020, 08:15 AM
QUOTE (KenA @ Jun 29 2020, 12:54 AM) *
Hope that info above helps ...

Thanks Ken,

It helped me understand why you didn't include it even though I didn't fully understand it, I hope that makes sense wink.gif

Thank you smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 29 2020, 08:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:34 AM