Scarlett 2nd/3rd Gen Conflict Question
Phil66
Jul 14 2020, 09:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm running a 2nd gen Scarlett 18i8 at home. I want to take my laptop away with me but don't want to take the 18i8. If I buy a 3rd gen Scarlett Solo will there be any driver or other software conflicts? Will each one just work when I plug it it?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 14 2020, 12:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 14 2020, 09:51 AM
GMC:er
Likely yes, though you'll select the right asio on DAW and windows when switching soundcards but its likely that will cause other errors is the risk.

Even when uninstalling, programs leave some stuff or affect internal windows settings. So if the 3.rd Gen updates something and later when you install back the 2.nd gen it may cause problems. Probably fixable problems but may be annoying.

To be extra safe maybe installing a second windows on the same machine could be a good solution. It will ask which windows you want when starting the computer and take extra HDD space but should run very smooth and after you save you recordings and return from holiday can uninstall that windows.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 14 2020, 11:13 AM
Thanks Mertay,

A few years ago I would have been able to install a second WIN10 but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe buying a used 2nd Gen solo would be better?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 14 2020, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 14 2020, 10:13 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,

A few years ago I would have been able to install a second WIN10 but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe buying a used 2nd Gen solo would be better?

Cheers

Really can't be sure without trying.

You could also create a fresh system restore point? just save everything to an external drive (even bookmarks on browser) after that to be safe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 14 2020, 11:45 AM
Thanks buddy,

I've just joined a Focusrite user group on FB, I'll see what they say wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2020, 11:29 PM
sorry for the lag wink.gif the new driver works on both second and third gen.

https://focusrite.com/en/news/driver-update
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 14 2020, 06:45 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 15 2020, 06:20 AM
Thanks buddy,

I'll order one, I was thinking that if there's a conflict I'd just use the Solo at home and away and keep the 18i8 for the times I need more than one input at once, as I'm using TH-U that will be very rare.

UPDATE:
I've installed the latest driver, had ten minutes on my Ibby to test, working fine and I reckon one more week and I will be 95% plus repaired on the neurological front, let's hope there's room for a guitar in the car wink.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2020, 11:29 PM) *
sorry for the lag wink.gif the new driver works on both second and third gen.

https://focusrite.com/en/news/driver-update

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 15 2020, 08:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2020, 01:31 AM
Well, it basically is triplets, so sure! It's just the 3 note per string minor scale. Go for it!

Sarge
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 14 2020, 06:45 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2020, 02:29 AM
I'm very glad they made a unified driver. It just makes sense IMHO. Also quite handy smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 15 2020, 01:20 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

I'll order one, I was thinking that if there's a conflict I'd just use the Solo at home and away and keep the 18i8 for the times I need more than one input at once, as I'm using TH-U that will be very rare.

UPDATE:
I've installed the latest driver, had ten minutes on my Ibby to test, working fine and I reckon one more week and I will be 95% plus repaired on the neurological front, let's hope there's room for a guitar in the car wink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 17 2020, 08:32 PM
It worked straight out of the box, incredible little unit, I didn't realise it is USB powered too, awesome. biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2020, 12:58 AM
I know right? Same with mine. USB power, works like a charm, sounds great, didn't break the bank. I think we are gonna see a LOT of these in home studios in youtube vids.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 17 2020, 03:32 PM) *
It worked straight out of the box, incredible little unit, I didn't realise it is USB powered too, awesome. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:51 AM