Usb Or Firewire?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2009, 12:04 AM
Instructor
Hi there! I'm planning to update my studio's multitrack soundcard in the future and I found that some companies are currently offering Firewire and USB models.
Does anybody know which one is better or which are the differences? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Toni Suominen
Jan 31 2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor
Well, Firewire has a higher data transfer rate, so if you are planning on recording multiple inputs at the same time (for example micing up drums) I would suggest a Firewire version smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 31 2009, 12:20 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 31 2009, 12:24 AM
Instructor
Firewire is offcourse the best, it's got alot more bandwidth (400Mbps), but for the ordinary guitar-track recordings you wont notice much difference with a USB card smile.gif
USB is more cpu consuming though, but once again.. for just basic guitar recordings, you can get just as much use out of a USB box than paying the extra cash for the firewire version.

But for full studio usage, firewire is better. Atleast for now.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jan 31 2009, 12:25 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 31 2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jan 31 2009, 01:22 AM) *
Yeh, firewire is faster but not for long! when USB 3.0 comes out you will be getting 4.7gb/s +

Yeah, I can't wait for the USB 3.0 to become the new standard. It would mean great transfer speeds even in portable hard-drives.

What brands/models of soundcards are you considering Gabriel? I know that Presonus makes some very good Firewire interfaces.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 31 2009, 12:38 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 31 2009, 12:40 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd go with USB for the only reason that it's a lot more steady than Firewire. Firewire puts high demands on the interface itself and it can vary from one model to another = from one soundcard model to another.

USB works stead and won't surprise you by crashing or stop working in the middle of your project. I looked into this before when I had a computer upgrade in mind and found out that especially DELL computers use firewire that you should stay away from when you work with music. They are a gamble.

So USB for me. A working environment is more important to me than a faster but more unstable one.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 31 2009, 12:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 31 2009, 01:40 AM) *
I'd go with USB for the only reason that it's a lot more steady than Firewire. Firewire puts high demands on the interface itself and it can vary from one model to another = from one soundcard model to another.

USB works stead and won't surprise you by crashing or stop working in the middle of your project. I looked into this before when I had a computer upgrade in mind and found out that especially DELL computers use firewire that you should stay away from when you work with music. They are a gamble.

So USB for me. A working environment is more important to me than a faster but more unstable one.

Hmm, I've never heard of anything like that before. Maybe this is the case because of the different brand of Firewire chips manufacturers put on their motherboards? I've heard that there are atleast couple of different kinds of Firewire chips, and that the one that Texas Instruments produces is the best. I'm not sure though..

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 31 2009, 12:55 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2009, 01:08 AM
Instructor
Thanks a lot you guys for all this information! smile.gif However now I'm more confused ohmy.gif laugh.gif

I have been checking the Motu 828 Mk2 & 828 MK3. The Mk2 is Firewire and the Mk 3 is a newer one and is USB (this last one is bit more expensive). I always thought that firewire was better but why Motu offers their last model with usb?

I know that presonus is a very good brand too.. ( I have a comp and I used a pre in a studio)
Which other ones has the same quality than motu? Presonus?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 31 2009, 01:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 31 2009, 02:08 AM) *
Which other ones has the same quality than motu? Presonus?

Check out Focusrite audio-interfaces aswell, I've heard that they are high-quality products.

But I think that any of the three will do the job. (Focusrite/Presonus/Motu).

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 31 2009, 01:32 AM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Jan 30 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Check out Focusrite audio-interfaces aswell, I've heard that they are high-quality products.

But I think that any of the three will do the job. (Focusrite/Presonus/Motu).

Thank you Toni! I'll check their products.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 31 2009, 10:29 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Gabe,
all the info I've seen shows that there are also a firewire version of the MkIII and a USB for the MkII.

One major reason for using firewire would be daisy-chaining in my opinion. Also, if you can host Firewire800 it will be significantly faster then USB2. As to USB3 - that will be great as and when it becomes available but that will not be for quite a while.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 31 2009, 11:40 AM
GMC:er
I've never had ANY problems with FireWire - and I'm using it every day for my camera.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 31 2009, 12:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think firewire is a good option...If you have a standard PC you can buy the good quality firewire interface PCI card (those are cheap)..That interface is much faster then USB.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 31 2009, 01:00 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
In a studio I'd go for a firewire soundcard, hands down smile.gif

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 31 2009, 01:06 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 31 2009, 12:40 AM) *
I'd go with USB for the only reason that it's a lot more steady than Firewire. Firewire puts high demands on the interface itself

I have to disagree - it's USB which is almost all software communication. It's not a real interface, most of its communication gets through its drivers - and THAT is consuming your CPU. FireWire is a professional interface, which can send you really huge data streams without hogging your computer. I'm using it for years now, and didn't had any problems with it even on relatively weak computers.

Probably you have some weak FireWire card... and that's why you have problems with it. I strongly recommend buying a good mainboard - it's the only part of your computer, on which you can't save your money...

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 31 2009, 01:12 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
If you're using Cubase I'd check the Steinberg MR816CSX smile.gif
Lexicon has a great new soundcard out called I•ONIX FW810S
And the TC Electronic StudioKonnekt 48 is awesome smile.gif

Check them out..

I got the Steinberg soundcard and it's great smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Jan 31 2009, 01:13 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2009, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Thank you guys! So I'll go for the Firewire! smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 31 2009, 06:29 AM) *
Gabe,
all the info I've seen shows that there are also a firewire version of the MkIII and a USB for the MkII.

Cheers,
Tony

Thank you toni! I didn't know this.. Here the national distributor is just importing the firewire MK2 and the USB MK3.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
malo
Feb 1 2009, 09:40 PM
About USB vs Firewire.

There are a very fundmental differnece between USB and firewire that make comparing speed (bits/s) not so useful.

USB is i kind of master-slave protocol that means that all data transfer must be initiated from the computer, that by it self introduces latency.

USB is not full duplex at its full speed ( that means it can only transfer data in full rate in one direction at a time, that also causes latency).

Firewire is a multimaster bus in full duplex. That means full speed in booth directions at any time. It means that the sound card can initate data transfer, it can send data when it has data in other words.

Firewire 400 can be a better choice than USB2 in many cases ( especially when handling conitinous realtime data flow ).

I have however not checked the new USB3 standard, it may be better in some arease but i dont think that they will be able to implent multimater cababilites in USB.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:42 AM