Is It Possible To Put This Fixed Bridge In An Ibanez With A Edge Trem?
Praetorian
Mar 17 2009, 02:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I never use my trem, and it is a huge pain in the butt for me. Would this replacement work? Or is the body too different to accomodate the Edge trem? I guess I could always do the wooden block thing...but this seems like a better option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Mar 17 2009, 03:01 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 17 2009, 03:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I must be missing something, there's no link or anything?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 17 2009, 03:01 PM
Oops! Fixed it!!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 17 2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks!

My quick unqualified reply is No. I didn't check my own Ibanez but if I remember well the Edge would leave a cavity the fixed tremolo would then sit in.

But it would be possible to fill the cavity. When I once routed in one of my guitars I overdid it and took out ablut 2mm too much in the corner where a humbucker should sit. So there was nowhere to fit the screw for the pu ring.
I added padding, "Plastic padding", which is harder than wood. And I was able to fit the screw into that.

Like this (two component)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 17 2009, 03:32 PM
Instructor
I would go for a wooden block under the edge rather smile.gif

If you want to change from edge to bridge it will require a lot of work, and money..

I would do it in three steps:
1. The cavity for edge has to be filled with a wooden block and glued with titebond glue, hopefuly the same kind of wood as the body was made. It has to be very firm connection since there is a lot of tension in that part of the body.
2. To install the bridge taking care on the height of the bridge since it is not adjustable one.
3. Since the newly inserted and glued wooden part in cavity will be wider than the new bridge the guitar, guitar would have to be sanded and finished again (this can be skipped if you don't mind how it looks)

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 17 2009, 03:37 PM
Btw there's a tremol-no that first the Edge if I don't remember wrong.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 17 2009, 03:56 PM
GMC:er
no it wont

there are a million and one ways to block your trem so that it becomes a fixed bridge...this works better than a fixed system itself because its double locking still

for the last tem i blocked, i didnt have the time or the resources to do a professional job, so i just used legos to block the trem

using 2x4's for the more open side of the route, and 1x2's for the shorter side smile.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 17 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:54 PM