4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Vonhotch's Bootcamp, You Have Chosen The Way of Pain!
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2013, 06:31 AM
GMC:er
Good question Soldier!!!! The Mic/Placement is a pretty close approximation IMHO, there are always differences of course, but it's usually close enough. If you like the SM57 place in the center of the speaker cone in a VST, you'll probably like a SM57 in the center of the cone in real life!!! You will notice that the "real life" version can sound a bid softer and the software version may sound brighter/harsher. It's worth doing to learn both! On to the debrief!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Right hand position perfect!
2.)Weapons Grade Hand Synch!
3.)Machine Gun Speed!

Congratulations Soldier!!! You just

Attached Image

LEVELED UP!!!!

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 20 2013, 11:48 AM) *
Thank you SIR! Do you find mic placement and mic type to be similar in the software as in real life? On the last patch I seem to like a dynamic mic right close up in the center of the cone. I was just wondering if experimenting with placement and type in the software has any carry over to what I might like if I tried to mic up an amp in real life.

Mission 11

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2013, 08:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 27 2013, 06:02 PM
Sir. I have a couple questions.
I had this patch all set thinking you were going to LOVE it. Then I recorded Mission 12 and rendered it and YIKES. So I went back to my old settings...(I think). Why does stuff sound different after rendering? How do I account for this? And sorry for the video quality. Sometimes my camera will take an ok video and sometimes it just does not want to cooperate. Hope it's ok.
Thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2013, 08:29 AM
Soldier you start off strong on this one bue as you go lower it seems like you start to lose aim a bit. You can puse in between each string for several beats if needed to have a firm footing as you attack the string. Also, some of these missions don't coun't well in 4/4 time and if it seems like the count feels wonky, change the drum kit to snare only, or kick only so that its a constant noise for the click. Since one strike might be on snare during the first pass, then kick on the next pass it can get confusing.

Also, since precision is our main goal here, you can back off the speed a tad if need be. Speed is just a by product of precision + massive amounts of repetition. So it's always more important to play precisely than briskly. One shot one kill!

You are very close Soldier! Fight!!!!!!!

Toddd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 27 2013, 12:02 PM) *
Sir. I have a couple questions.
I had this patch all set thinking you were going to LOVE it. Then I recorded Mission 12 and rendered it and YIKES. So I went back to my old settings...(I think). Why does stuff sound different after rendering? How do I account for this? And sorry for the video quality. Sometimes my camera will take an ok video and sometimes it just does not want to cooperate. Hope it's ok.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 3 2013, 08:48 PM
Here is a new take I changed my drum beat to all kick and slowed it down to 170bpm. SIR!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2013, 08:51 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!!! You went back, killed all the straglers, and emerged VICTORIOUS!!!

You just...

!!!!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Killer Hand Synch
2.)Precise Strikes
3.)Planted Palm Mute

Well Fought Soldier!!!!! ONWARD!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Feb 3 2013, 02:48 PM) *
Here is a new take I changed my drum beat to all kick and slowed it down to 170bpm. SIR!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 5 2013, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 11 2013, 12:54 AM
Sir.....Mission 13 submitted for your approval!
I added notes on the low b string to make it a 7 string pattern. I hope that is ok.
Part 1

Part 2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Feb 11 2013, 04:45 AM
Nice!!! n Heavy Beautiful guitar mate and kudos for going 7 string man

cool.gif

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Feb 11 2013, 04:46 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2013, 08:05 AM
Well fought Soldier!!! This is a complicated pattern and you killed it both ways!!!! Well done smile.gif Adding the 7 is a nice touch as well. not to mention the fact that you just tied for TOP SNIPER (Highest Ranking Soldier) so you will notice a new BATTLE COMMENDATION on your Rank Badge. Congrats Soldier, you just

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Feb 10 2013, 06:54 PM) *
Sir.....Mission 13 submitted for your approval!
I added notes on the low b string to make it a 7 string pattern. I hope that is ok.
Part 1

Part 2

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2013, 08:05 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 12 2013, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Feb 11 2013, 03:45 AM) *
Nice!!! n Heavy Beautiful guitar mate and kudos for going 7 string man

cool.gif

Thanks man! What do you play?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 11 2013, 07:05 AM) *
Well fought Soldier!!! This is a complicated pattern and you killed it both ways!!!! Well done smile.gif Adding the 7 is a nice touch as well. not to mention the fact that you just tied for TOP SNIPER (Highest Ranking Soldier) so you will notice a new BATTLE COMMENDATION on your Rank Badge. Congrats Soldier, you just

!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Tough pattern is an understatement. I think inversions are my achilles heel! Passing this one is because of all the times you beat us up with them in Vchat!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Feb 12 2013, 02:18 AM
6 stringer = ) seems 7 and 8 strings might be the future of guitar

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 12 2013, 03:21 PM
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Feb 12 2013, 01:18 AM) *
6 stringer = ) seems 7 and 8 strings might be the future of guitar

Seems like that sometimes. Hopefully there will always be a place for 6 string. There is a neverending supply of things to learn on 6 strings. For me a 7 string lets me go from playing something "normal" in E standard, to instantly being able to have the lowness of kind of B standard, without having a bunch of different guitars all tuned different and then trying to keep track of all the different tunings. If that makes sense. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2013, 02:26 AM

Well said!! My Ibanez 7 string is one of my fav guitars for those same reasons. When writing a rythm or solo, having the extra string there is quite handy. You still have your full six with a low B for chug rythm or extending scales. It's a wonderful thing to have 7 strings smile.gif I"m going to try 8 strings again soon. I had an 8 string LTD but sold it as it just didn't feel right. Hopefully an Ibanez 8 will feel just right smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Feb 12 2013, 09:21 AM) *
Seems like that sometimes. Hopefully there will always be a place for 6 string. There is a neverending supply of things to learn on 6 strings. For me a 7 string lets me go from playing something "normal" in E standard, to instantly being able to have the lowness of kind of B standard, without having a bunch of different guitars all tuned different and then trying to keep track of all the different tunings. If that makes sense. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Feb 14 2013, 07:50 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 14 2013, 01:26 AM) *
Well said!! My Ibanez 7 string is one of my fav guitars for those same reasons. When writing a rythm or solo, having the extra string there is quite handy. You still have your full six with a low B for chug rythm or extending scales. It's a wonderful thing to have 7 strings smile.gif I"m going to try 8 strings again soon. I had an 8 string LTD but sold it as it just didn't feel right. Hopefully an Ibanez 8 will feel just right smile.gif

Todd

I've had a bit of the 8 string bug myself. I have been collecting pieces to build one. Haven't tried one yet, though. Did the LTD have a 25.5 scale length I have seen some people don't like that short of a scale length for an 8, but some people love the LTD's. What did you think of it? The Ibanez's have a longer scale length right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2013, 01:21 AM
I'm not actually sure what the scale length on the LTD was, but yeah, IBBYs tend to go LOOOONG. smile.gif Here is a pic of the new line of IBBY 8 stringers that goes for about 399

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Feb 14 2013, 01:50 PM) *
I've had a bit of the 8 string bug myself. I have been collecting pieces to build one. Haven't tried one yet, though. Did the LTD have a 25.5 scale length I have seen some people don't like that short of a scale length for an 8, but some people love the LTD's. What did you think of it? The Ibanez's have a longer scale length right?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Mar 1 2013, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 15 2013, 12:21 AM) *
I'm not actually sure what the scale length on the LTD was, but yeah, IBBYs tend to go LOOOONG. smile.gif Here is a pic of the new line of IBBY 8 stringers that goes for about 399

Attached Image

Todd

Is it weird to adjust to the longer scale length? I have everything I need to build my 8 except a couple pieces of wood....Including a Lace Deathbucker, and X-bar wink.gif . As soon as I finish the one I am working on.

I have had some trouble recording audio and video at the same time the past couple weeks. I think my computer can't handle so much awesome!!!! laugh.gif But I have a new amp (a Line 6 Spider IV 75) with a line out. I tried using that instead of Amplitube tonight and it seemed to take some of the stress off my computer. Now I just have to get the best tone for my mission posts. Also now that I have some decent monitors, I can hear the fuzziness of some of the Amplitube patches, and a lot of the stuff I liked, I don't likes quite as much any more. I really like recording with the new amp. Please give me your opinion of how it sounds. This is just straight from the amp. No compressor or eq.
Anyway here is mission 14!!!!! For you approval!!!!!
Thanks Todd!!!!!! See you Saturday!!!!!!

P.S. That is such a killer guitar!!!!!

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Mar 1 2013, 03:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2013, 05:20 PM
Well fought Soldier! smile.gif This is very well played, you drilled it and killed it. Good form and precision not to mention fine speed and control. I can see big jumps in your playing ability, keep it up!!!!

As for the tone it was quite good and I don't usually like line out sounds. Does the amp have a cabinet emulator built in to the line out? If you have an SM47 or something similar, close micing a small amp can yield good results and makes good practice for micing amps. It's a fading art to some degree but worth practicing and getting right. When gigging, the sound guy is often in a hurry and when in the studio, the engineer may not know how you like your mic placement to get "your" tone. Placement can have a serious impact on tone and most folks like it dead center on the cone. However, if you aren't one of those guys it's good to find that out early so you'll be able tell the engineer that you like it 2 inches off the center of the cone and at a 15 degree angle off axis for example smile.gif

But back to the mission, you Soldier, have...

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Feb 28 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Is it weird to adjust to the longer scale length? I have everything I need to build my 8 except a couple pieces of wood....Including a Lace Deathbucker, and X-bar wink.gif . As soon as I finish the one I am working on.

I have had some trouble recording audio and video at the same time the past couple weeks. I think my computer can't handle so much awesome!!!! laugh.gif But I have a new amp (a Line 6 Spider IV 75) with a line out. I tried using that instead of Amplitube tonight and it seemed to take some of the stress off my computer. Now I just have to get the best tone for my mission posts. Also now that I have some decent monitors, I can hear the fuzziness of some of the Amplitube patches, and a lot of the stuff I liked, I don't likes quite as much any more. I really like recording with the new amp. Please give me your opinion of how it sounds. This is just straight from the amp. No compressor or eq.
Anyway here is mission 14!!!!! For you approval!!!!!
Thanks Todd!!!!!! See you Saturday!!!!!!

P.S. That is such a killer guitar!!!!!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Mar 6 2013, 02:51 AM
Thank you SIR!!! My improvement is 100% due to GMC and my mentors!!!!!! I don't believe it has amp cab emulation. And tonight I tried micing it for the first time. It was awesome. What do you recommend for noisegate when micing an amp. Reagate or is a hardeware gate better for micing? I am definitely that guy. I love knowing how things work. The mic I have is a Samson R11. I guess it is a SM58 clone, but the reviews I have read a lot of people like it just as much as a 58. I have also read that an SM58 and 57 are the same except for the pop filter thing and if you take of the ball of a 58 it will sound the same as a 57. So to mic up I took of the ball of my mic. Fun stuff. Are you familiar with a Samson R11?
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--SAMR11

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 5 2013, 04:20 PM) *
Well fought Soldier! smile.gif This is very well played, you drilled it and killed it. Good form and precision not to mention fine speed and control. I can see big jumps in your playing ability, keep it up!!!!

As for the tone it was quite good and I don't usually like line out sounds. Does the amp have a cabinet emulator built in to the line out? If you have an SM47 or something similar, close micing a small amp can yield good results and makes good practice for micing amps. It's a fading art to some degree but worth practicing and getting right. When gigging, the sound guy is often in a hurry and when in the studio, the engineer may not know how you like your mic placement to get "your" tone. Placement can have a serious impact on tone and most folks like it dead center on the cone. However, if you aren't one of those guys it's good to find that out early so you'll be able tell the engineer that you like it 2 inches off the center of the cone and at a 15 degree angle off axis for example smile.gif

But back to the mission, you Soldier, have...

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2013, 04:17 AM
Well cool!!! smile.gif Welcome to the fab world of Micing!!! For a hardware amp setup, I usually use a hardware gate. If the amp doesn't have any on board fx ( in particular a gate) You'll need to add one Most multi pedals have a noise gate including the reasonably priced Behringer V Amp (mine was $30 used) which had really nice clean channel fx including a noise gate, compressor, reverb, delay etc. I would not vouch for the gain channels, but the clean stuff was fine.

I also purchased a used rack mounted HUSH IICX from ebay for about $80 which is a two channel "Hush" (a rocktron gate basically) and it does a nice job. If you have not started a rack, there is not time like the present smile.gif Used rack gear can be had pretty cheap on ebay. I"m using a travel rack to tote my portable rack gear which cost about $35

I"ve not tried the samson but yeah the 58 is bassically a 57 with a windscreen smile.gif Pop off the windscreen and bingo! Try these placements.

1.)Directly pointing to center of speaker cone
2.)Same position but pointing off axis ( a bit to the right of center)
3.)Move the mic near the edge of the speaker (djent style)

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Mar 5 2013, 08:51 PM) *
Thank you SIR!!! My improvement is 100% due to GMC and my mentors!!!!!! I don't believe it has amp cab emulation. And tonight I tried micing it for the first time. It was awesome. What do you recommend for noisegate when micing an amp. Reagate or is a hardeware gate better for micing? I am definitely that guy. I love knowing how things work. The mic I have is a Samson R11. I guess it is a SM58 clone, but the reviews I have read a lot of people like it just as much as a 58. I have also read that an SM58 and 57 are the same except for the pop filter thing and if you take of the ball of a 58 it will sound the same as a 57. So to mic up I took of the ball of my mic. Fun stuff. Are you familiar with a Samson R11?
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--SAMR11

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Mar 24 2013, 10:44 PM
Hope the tone on this one is ok. I've got my amp miced and am using a Danelectro Black coffee pedal. Haven't used the pedal much to mic be for today. I can redo if it is not clear enough! This is at 200 bpm. I did a string change at the end that gave me a 3 string sweep thing with the eco pick in this pattern, which I thought was pretty cool. The mic is at about 45 degrees on the edge of the cone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Apr 21 2013, 10:48 PM
Here is another take at mission 15. This one is at 210bpm. SIR!

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:19 AM