I've Lost My Creativity
manuh
Oct 22 2011, 10:52 AM
Learning Roadie
hey gmc'ers.
we had band practice yesterday and we wanted to write a new song.
but it was f**king demotivated. my riffs and licks are always in the same pattern. i like the songs which are ready, but i have no motivation and no creative thoughts to write another cool song. im stuck, and i hate this feeling.

in the past it was so easy, many cool songs in a short time. it was so easy. but at the moment i really stuck.

do you have any tips to get back my creative period?

it sucks! :/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 22 2011, 02:08 PM
GMC:er
i get most of my inspiration, by watching my favorite players instructional videos tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 22 2011, 04:05 PM
Instructor
How about your band mates? Did they come up with anything interesting? Perhaps the problem is there as well, you cannot be the only one who invents something right? Also, what type of song you are trying to make? This is the first question? Does it have vocals? Do you have lyrics? You as a guitar player are there to create proper harmonic background in terms of rhythm, and solos. If something needs to be innovative, it's vocal and drum groove. So, try working on that with your band, and it will be better.

If you are set to make your own songs, try watching my Songwriting sessions (you can check out the link in my signature), and see if you can get some ideas from there! smile.gif Let me know if you found something interesting there.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 22 2011, 04:21 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
You can't force creativity smile.gif Just relax, play your old songs, play some cover songs and listen to your favourite bands or the bands that have the same style as your own band. Creativity will strike when you least expect it. So have your Axe ready at all times.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 22 2011, 04:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Its possible you are just used to writing every song in the same key, and you are now noticing how all your ideas sound the same and act in the same patterns. "There is nothing more limiting to creativity than freedom". You could say "I am now going to write a song in F Phrygian", and you will be forced out of your comfort zone.

If it really is the creativity that is lacking though, you could listen to some new music/genres, or try to copy other instruments. smile.gif
Or you could of course fall in love or let something tragic happen in your life. xD

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Oct 22 2011, 04:51 PM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 22 2011, 04:55 PM
Instructor
ahh dude, this was a nightmare for me for like years, the thing that works the most for me is to put myself in a different place, for example, if you write your songs on the electric guitar, change it for an acoustic, for a piano, a bass, drums, harmonica, just sing, whatever, even if you can't do it good, you just need to have the VERY BASIC idea of something new and exciting to you, and then grab your favorite instrument and start developing that.

Also have this in mind, if you do this creative process once every week, you have some probabilities to get a new song idea, but if you do it every day, i can guarantee you will have a ton of songs in no time.

It's not about inspiration at all, just leave your brain free and have fun, that, but do it a lot of times.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 22 2011, 05:20 PM
Instructor
I think Sollesnes advice is really good. Sometimes limiting yourself can result in new fresh ideas, at least for yourself.

Also, try to think only in terms of rhythm, don't think about too many notes but rather just try to be creative rhythmically. A good exercise is analyzing what rhythms are being played in your favorite songs, or even take a rhythm from a different song and change the notes.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 22 2011, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
You can only put out what you have learnt. Just don't let it eat you up as it's not a bad thing.

Most people will learn something and repeat what they already know in all aspects of life, few will adventure any deeper. Maybe it's a lot more work, fear of the unknown, less fun, or maybe they narrowed done to perfect a certain area or two. Either way you go doesn't really matter, however naturally your'll want to repeat what you already know, even if it's only knowing just a few chords and patterns on the guitar, it doesn't matter. However this can build up over time as a feeling of not making any progress.

Take Nirvana for example, only knew a few things but built up to greatness on those, however while everyone else say that he was great and talented in those areas, he thought he was completely limited and becoming useless, until he gave away to depression.

For motivation, try learn something new in practice, what your currently bad at, no matter how big or small. Keep practice separate from jamming.

When it comes to jamming, you play what you already know, good at and simply enjoy it and let others enjoy too.

Never forgot the fun in music!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 22 2011, 05:29 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 22 2011, 05:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
it sounds like it is time for an angry song ( about not finding any inspiration) laugh.gif
it sounds funny , bit I am serious , and now that I am thinking about it , I am wondering if this song was inspired by the same feeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUYjpKg9KY

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2011, 01:57 AM
Instructor
I also have some periods when I think that I lost creativity. It's is normal and there is nothing to do with it. In those periods or days I try to get inspiration watching live shows, listening to music and also going out to do something that isn't related with music. Life experiences could make us recover the creativity and inspiration.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2011, 09:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 22 2011, 03:21 PM) *
You can't force creativity smile.gif Just relax, play your old songs, play some cover songs and listen to your favourite bands or the bands that have the same style as your own band. Creativity will strike when you least expect it. So have your Axe ready at all times.

+1

+Quote Post
manuh
Oct 23 2011, 11:02 AM
Learning Roadie
wow, great answers. thank you!
so, at first ivan:

Also, what type of song you are trying to make?

mh, i cannot give a concrete answer to this question. we have many songs in different styles, we used often blues or country elements but maybe the most of them are rock or punk songs. we write the most of our songs together. but at first i make a cool riff or something cool idea at home.
i will check out your songwriting lessons smile.gif thanks!

"I am now going to write a song in F Phrygian"

good idea! biggrin.gif thanks sollesnes, i'm going to try this.

change it for an acoustic, for a piano, a bass, drums, harmonica, just sing, whatever, even if you can't do it good, you just need to have the VERY BASIC idea of something new and exciting to you

adrian, thats a nice tip. i think it makes fun to develop an idea of a song on a piano smile.gif

but thank you mates, i like this board.
yesterday i have spent the day without playing guitar. i think it was a good choice. today i started a new riff and this riff kicks asses biggrin.gif
maybe sometimes my brain feels like shit, but every cloud has a silver lining wink.gif

and the limp bizkit song is great! biggrin.gif

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 23 2011, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Don't worry, it's just a phase, and we all go through it sometimes. Changing workflow and environment can do wonders. Don't be afraid to tryout new things smile.gif Let us know if the creativity boosts comes along! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 23 2011, 12:03 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way Manuh... there is some brilliant advice from the guys here though, you're in good hands cool.gif

Also, some people's creativity thrives in a jam setting, but for some people it doesn't work as well that way. For me, I compose my best ideas on my own, because I have time to think, explore my limitations, push my boundaries, trim off all the fat until I'm left with only good chords and melodies.

Azzaboi said it perfectly 'When it comes to jamming, you play what you already know..' Writing in a full band 'jam' setting can be very difficult and frustrating because you haven't got the time to reach down inside and explore your creativity to the fullest. The pressure is on to create something there and then, you can't just say to the guys 'Hang on, I'm going to try and write an epic song, using arpeggios of chords I can't even name...'

For example, you'll play what comes most naturally to hand.. sometimes this is a good thing and just what is required. However, in order to keep things interesting and not sound like a one trick band, you need to explore areas where you're not so familiar with.

Having said that, jamming is excellent for finding new ways of approaching a riff. If a drummer mistakes your timing for something else and plays an entirely different drum pattern, it can transform an idea into something you never would have thought of. It's happened to me many times and I'm grateful for the jamming experience for that. Different interpretation can lead to amazing results.. but I think it needs to be coupled with quality control. In a jam setting, everyone is usually caught up in the energy of creation so they're not so critical of the things they're coming up with so a quality filter usually has to be applied in retrospect to avoid the cliches and lazy chord progressions that can often arise in a jam setting. The boring B word again - Balance ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 23 2011, 09:00 PM
Instructor
My favorite creative pattern which I follow is - when you fall into creative crisis, isolate a single melody line in your head, no chords, rhythm, and other things, only solo line! When you crystallize it, save it, and build the whole story around .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2011, 05:54 AM
Instructor
I have said this earlier.. but everytime that I can't compose something I take my acoustic guitar and go to any other part of my house or maybe to the garden. Nice melodies and chord progressions appear when I do it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2011, 07:06 AM
Instructor
I must agree with Gabe! A change of environment usually brings up a different state of mind smile.gif I am planning a gettaway in the mountain house with my band mates from Aria so we can finish the whole 10 songs we're working on at them moment. I am sure that place will provide the right energy and create a suitable state of mind for such an endeavor smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:10 PM