Help Building A Home Recording Studio
Marc_Maiden
Dec 25 2008, 10:13 PM
GMC:er
so im going to set aside $1000 for a home recording studio (nothing fancy) i just want to up my gear a bit...

right now all i use is toneport/gear box (the cheapo toneport) so i get basic recording from that

what i want to end up with from the new set up:

-be able to add synths/strings etc for epic composing (i wouldnt mind having the roland gr 20, its just that its $700!)
so i was thinking of getting a keyboard, either the M-audio Axiom 25, or the line 6 toneport with the keyboard.

my question about the synths is: i know with the line 6, you can connect your amp or guitar straight to it, but can you do that with the axiom as well?

also, if there is a cheap alternative to the roland gr 20 (guitar based synths, since im a better guitar player than piano) id take that as well

anyways, both of those are around the same price $180-200....lets just say 200.

im actually leaning towards the line 6 because it also acts as an external soundcard, and since my laptop is good not great, i dont know if i can trust its soundcard.
---------------------------------

-I also want to get a good live sound out of it as well...how will i do that? well i was thinking of FINALLY pulling the trigger on the roland jc-120...ive been after that amp for a long time now...it also has a direct out for recording which is tastey!....thats $800 there

and for effects, id run my zoom pedal through it (i like the effects on it)

so in the end, id end up with a roland jc-120, and some sort of synth to go with it....now i do plan on shopping for them used first....if i can get it cheaper i will...ive seen jc-120's on craigslist for 400, the money id save would go to higher quality monitors than what i have now, or maybe even a cheap desktop computer to put all the recording stuffs on...

anyways...i could really use suggestions on amps/synths/sounds....

build me a recording studio for $1000!!!!!

thanks guys, i appreciate the help...im a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff...i really want to end up with a set up that i can record full songs with and not have to worry about bands/band members smile.gif

thanks again!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 25 2008, 10:39 PM
Hey there mate,

I'll try to help if you dont mind. Well I think all you want to do at your H.S is make some backing tracks, and record guitars. Well for that you'll need some crucial elements as

a soundcard
an amplification device for your guitar
midi keyboards

Now, I believe toneport with keyboard is the perfect device for your needs because this single product unifies your soundcard and midi and guitar connecting needs.

M-Audio axiome is a midi controller keyboard, that means it creates no sound itself, it has no ability to record audio nor provides a port to connect your guitar. If you buy this you'll need to buy a soundcard. Something like M-audio fireware 410...

Well after that, you'll need a sound monitoring device. It means you need to hear the sound output. Generally in home studios they use low budget reference monitors something like M-Audio BX-5a. You can always use your home sound systems like 2.1 Speakers but in that case it means that your final mixes may sound different wherever you listen to them.

Toneport has the software Gearbox which emulates an amp that makes you record awesome (well at intermediate levels anyway) guitar tones.

If you buy a amp, you'll need a microphone plugged into your soundcard placed in front of it to record it, and lineouts (even they say they are emulated) on amps are generally ineffective when recording.

Hope this helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 25 2008, 10:48 PM
yeah it does help a lot...question though, does the line 6 toneport with keyboard come with some sort of keyboard software? because i dont see anything for keyboards in gearbox...

i guess i could do with out the amp then huh? i might get it anyways, ive always wanted that amp..maybe itll be my next purchase since i wont be playing live again for a few months..

ok...so line 6 toneport keyboard

higher quality monitors

hmm maybe a new computer for the recording

are there any guitar synths under $500-400 out there? i rather use my guitar as a keyboard than a keyboard...

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2008, 12:33 AM
Instructor
I would advise against LIne 6 KB37, as it has the worst keyboard I've ever tried. Can you tell me what cheapo Toneport you have mate, is it GX or UX1?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 26 2008, 12:44 AM
Well I did some digging and found out that the keyb on KB37 acts only as a midi controller, so you may go for a cheaper toneport, something like Toneport UX1, and buy an M-Audio Axiom, but If I were you I would look for some used midi keyboard, like M-Audio Evolution MK361C.

If you have a decent PC (CPU something around 2GHZ Core2duo or AMD with 1.6 GHZ ) with some memory (It means around 2GB) you dont have to buy a new pc. Grab a Reaper, some VSTi (Software instruments for MIDI)

This post has been edited by enforcer: Dec 26 2008, 12:46 AM

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2008, 12:57 AM
Instructor
I'm with enforcer on this one. Also, I would like to know what toneport you use so I can make some suggestions.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 26 2008, 01:24 AM
tone port gx, it only has 1 input!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 26 2008, 01:31 AM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 26 2008, 02:24 AM) *
tone port gx, it only has 1 input!

No problem man, you can use it as a soundcard providing you dont expect really much of it. (This means a lot of channels with lots of VST and VSTi) But I am sure it will suit your medium leveled needs. From the forum here I know there are people who connect it to a mic and record amped guitar sound, but if the need arises you may consider buying a better external soundcard.

Keep us informed biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 26 2008, 07:38 AM
well i have a new plan....i decided to throw a little extra money in and re vamp my room:

so over a 2 -3 month period (max)

i will revamp my room (or play room, havent decided yet) to make it a high end entertainment studio

this is what i need:

-Line 6 toneport midi keyboard
-HD LCD monitor with HDTV inputs
-New Desktop Computer, nothing fancy, meant for TV, Music, DVDs, and Recording only!
-Surround sound speakers, 5.1
-Wireless guitar unit
-Crazy DJ lights
-Universal Remote to control it all

How it will work:

first, i will put the desktop underneath my desk,

then i will hook up the monitor on top of my dresser

The surround sound speakers will be placed at the 4 top corners in my room, and 1 on the top of the middle desk in my room, subwoofer being under my desk.

ill clean out all my shelves...i cant have too much junk on it....all posters/pictures/paintings will be hung somewhere

the keyboard will go on the bottom shelf of the 2nd desk (next to my desk) and will be connected to a wireless guitar system that received the signal from my guitar with out cables...however, for recording quality, ill keep 1 high end gold plated cable for recording rolled up next to the keyboard.

I also want a high end, high quality webcam, or a decent in expensive video camera to have hooked up to my new PC so that i can record videos easily

I might need to get a few VST based softwares for recording purposes, but that will be much later on.
lights will be hooked up to the ceiling,

all wires will be moved behind my desks...nothing will be showing.

and bam! ultimate entertainment studio ready for domination

total cost: $1500

2 months to get it all, spending only 1/4th of my paycheck a month (i do have a 2 year anniversary i need to save for)

and 1 day of setting up...

when i get it all set up, there will def be a party in my room haha smile.gif

and ill def be adding on to it afterwards

THAT ROLAND JC 120 AND GR 20 WILL BE MINE!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 26 2008, 08:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
We want pictures of that party smile.gif

Sounds cool, looking forward to your new videos.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 26 2008, 10:14 AM
Well, if I were you I would not spend money for crazy lights, wireless unit and 5.1 sound system, I would buy a decent reference monitor speakers pair. But I am not you, that means you know whats the best for yourself biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 26 2008, 05:16 PM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Dec 26 2008, 01:14 AM) *
Well, if I were you I would not spend money for crazy lights, wireless unit and 5.1 sound system, I would buy a decent reference monitor speakers pair. But I am not you, that means you know whats the best for yourself biggrin.gif

it wouldnt be a good idea to use 5.1 as monitors?

if not then ill just buy good monitors

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:59 PM