Daft Punk Synth Effect
Darfuria
Mar 28 2009, 01:23 PM
GMC:er
I'm wondering if it's possible to reproduce this sort of sound with a POD or a piece of software like Guitar Rig. It sounds as if they're using some variety of synthesiser and a wah pedal though.

Check out this video and listen to the lead about 3:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTqrNISqqmU

Any thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 28 2009, 01:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think it's a Keyboard lead and not a guitar lead, and I have no idea about Keyboad effects and synths...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 28 2009, 06:46 PM
Hm you could probably do it using a ring modulator or a guitar synth. I think there's stuff like that in a modeling pack for the pod. The Boss GT-10 can also do similar effects. I quickly checked the guitar rig website, looks like they've got a ring modulator too.

Cheers,
Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor
I don't know about POD, but you can make similar effect in Guitar Rig with some overdrive, EQing, Ring modulator and some filters.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Mar 28 2009, 11:44 PM
Ivan - I'll give it a go. I'm not much of an effects manipulator in Guitar Rig unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for letting me know it's possible wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 29 2009, 01:16 AM
Instructor
No prob mate smile.gif GR has an "FX" bank/section where they already made some presets similar to what you're looking for. Perhaps those presets could be a good starting point for tweaking.

cheers

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darfuria
May 7 2009, 01:23 AM
Okay, I've tried and tried and tried with this one, but made nothing but infuriating progress, and haven't come up with anything that sounds quite like it.

Does anyone else fancy having a go?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 7 2009, 02:08 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm guessing a bit as the 'video link is blocked in my country'. From what I recall of Daft Punk it's probably a Moog LFO sweeping into a VCO filter bank or similar - so 29a above is pretty close imho and it will be some sort of oscillator.

I don't think you'll get quite that sound though on any hardware guitar effect short of a moog or similar filter bank. With a guitar effect I don't think they'll do a filter out as the input in to another oscillator (G3 or Pod) - that requires a type of loopback and I don't think these things generally support this. I don't have one so I may well be wrong though.

Software VST wise there are a number of plug ins that could probably do this sort of thing. You could try some of the emulation ones - I'm guessing that it's a Moog, though it may not be, but a Minimoog or similar might be able to get this. Else a Yamaha CS30/ ARP2000.

Alternatively you could try developing from a filter bank, Sherman made a hardware one some time back but from memory it wasn't that cheap - a few hundred pounds. I think there's a software filterbank called 'Cycling 74' or something like that on the Mac? Some pro end multifx like the Eventide Eclipse can do this, and I guess TC Major etc have their own versions.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 8 2009, 12:51 AM
I'm not going to say I'm right and everyone else is wrong here because when it comes down to it, with Daft Punk, there's no telling what they did. It's kinda like Nine Inch Nails...they play a studio...so there's a lot of possibilities.

I do agree that it sounds like a keyboard solo that's meant to sound like a guitar solo. I don't have any evidence to back that up, except that I don't think I've heard of Daft Punk ever using guitars more than in samples.

As for the sound itself, I don't think it's a ringmod kind of sound. To me it sounds like a bitcrusher type of effect as the main sound. The wah kind of sound on top of that sounds almost like a talkbox, but a lot of their songs have that vocal-ish sounding wah effect somewhere in them. Maybe some kind of odd vocoder treatment.

There's probably a bunch of ways you could get close to that sound. I hadn't really thought of it as a guitar solo before. It's kinda interesting. I'd like to see someone do that.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Darfuria
May 8 2009, 01:05 AM
A lot of people have replicated it as Guitar composition. There was a video a while ago interviewing some session guitarist who was playing with Daft Punk - so they certainly do or have used guitars at some point during their sets. There are plenty of videos on YouTube with people playing Aerodynamic and Digital Love - which are the two tracks with the most guitar-like effects in them, so providing there's a way of creating an effect that can be processed on a guitar, I think a fairly accurate sound could be made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 8 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm not going to say I'm right and everyone else is wrong here because when it comes down to it, with Daft Punk, there's no telling what they did. It's kinda like Nine Inch Nails...they play a studio...so there's a lot of possibilities.

I do agree that it sounds like a keyboard solo that's meant to sound like a guitar solo. I don't have any evidence to back that up, except that I don't think I've heard of Daft Punk ever using guitars more than in samples.

As for the sound itself, I don't think it's a ringmod kind of sound. To me it sounds like a bitcrusher type of effect as the main sound. The wah kind of sound on top of that sounds almost like a talkbox, but a lot of their songs have that vocal-ish sounding wah effect somewhere in them. Maybe some kind of odd vocoder treatment.

There's probably a bunch of ways you could get close to that sound. I hadn't really thought of it as a guitar solo before. It's kinda interesting. I'd like to see someone do that.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
bladzerok
May 8 2009, 01:50 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
electro harmonix have some weird effects too, so you might check them out, but i dont know how tu emulate this sound (wich is pretty cool btw laugh.gif )

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 8 2009, 10:41 AM
We do covers from time to time of Aerodynamic and Digital Love but I'm afraid we do it nothing like Daft Punk. Aerodynamic is a Synth but you're right you can get a similar sound from a very driven guitar with some other effects thrown in. Just play around with effects. We do metal versions of those two songs.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:23 PM