2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Need Help With New Equipment
Profanity
Jan 22 2009, 05:14 PM
GMC:er
My current gear list is this:

B. C. Rich Warlock (metal pack guitar, with a -81 EMG addition)
MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
Guitar Port 2.0 (with Gearbox, Rifftracker and Audiocity)
A Nylon guitar with bent neck.
An unnamed 10W amp with no brand:S
Gigbag (just to make the list abit longer and more impressive:P)

Until now, this has been perfect for me, i just used my warlock on the guitar port when i play at home, and take with me the MT-2 pedal to practice. But soon enough i will play gigs with my band, and then i would want to bring my own gear. My band is also starting to practice at a soundstudio our other guitarist has, and it would be nice to have my stuff there aswell.

I play metal and would like something with the sound of Killswitch or Dethklok. Something with much power, clean enough sound to distinguish the tones from eachother. I like fast melodic riffing:P
I have been thinking of getting a Krank Revolution Series 1, but my band want me to buy Mesa Boogie something, but it cost twice as mutch. I have also been told that i should just get a Pod x3 Live and use that with a clean amp, but i dont know what would be the best.

I'm from Norway, so i got 15.000kr (about 2.200$ or 1.700Euro) i "could" increase it to 30.000kr (about 4500$ or 3400Euro) but i should stay within the first sum.

Could someone help me with this? I have been stuck with this for a long time now:P
It's going to be used for practice and gigs, and soon for school (I'm going rock/metal at a school for the next year)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 22 2009, 05:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I wouldn't go for the POD x3 live + clean amp option..I would recommend a all tube Marshall amp and even better - that Mesa Boogie one your bend mentioned...Its worth the money and will sound great.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 22 2009, 05:55 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 22 2009, 05:57 PM
It's just that i have max 4500$ and only the mesa boogie is 5000$ and then i wont have money left for a guitar or other stuff. If i use more money than that on gear, i wouldn't have enough money to go on that school.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 22 2009, 06:59 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
How about a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade? You should be able to get a used one for 9000NOK.

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 22 2009, 08:56 PM
i liked that hughes and kettner switchblade amp. but i heard there is just one place in norway they sell h&k, and i dont know where:P
is there some place in sweden i can get it?, or first of all, test it?
and what cab should i use?

and what should i use most money on? guitar or amp/cab?tongue.gif what do you think is most important? or is my 5 year old 250$ warlock with EMG -81 on bridge good enough and just go for the amps and sound?

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 22 2009, 09:16 PM
Instructor
With that budget definitely buy a good tube amp. Mesa's (Rectifiers) or Peaveys (5150/6505) will do the job smile.gif

Cab is an important part of the sound, so buy a good one. Mesa makes good cabs, and a lot of them have V30 speakers, which I recommend. If you have the opportunity I suggest you try some cabs out and see what you like the best.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 22 2009, 09:18 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 22 2009, 09:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
For your second sum (~3400Euro) You could get yourself a realy professional equip: A great guitar and a metal halfstack. AFAIK the German Store THOMANN is cheaper then your local stores and ships to norway so I would try out the stuff you need in Norway but order it from Thomann.

An amp does most of the sound but only a good guitar with a good amp will get you a GREAT Sound and since your Warlock is a fairly cheap axe I would buy not only an amp but a new guitar aswell...

AMPS:

My personal favourite cab of all time:
http://www.thomann.de/de/marshall_mr1960av_gitarrenbox.htm
-looks good, sounds good and doesn't cost too much

Metal amps:
http://www.thomann.de/de/krank_revolution_head_bg.htm
-As you suggested; good metal tone (a bit muddy imo) and a not too bad clean but VERY expensive for only two channels... (Dethklok, Trivium,Late Pantera tone)

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_plus_...rrentopteil.htm
-THE STANDARD METAL AMP sounds extremely tight and heavy at a reasonable price, clean channel is only OK (In Flames, Machine Head, Bullet For My Vallentine tone)

http://www.thomann.de/de/hugheskettner_switchblade_head.htm
-As MickeM suggested, 4channels, very versitaile, built in effects, great for the Price BUT I sounds a bit lifeless IMO

http://www.thomann.de/de/mesa_boogie_dual_rectifer.htm
-The amp your band suggested you; Great tone and also versitaile and used by many bands BUT EXTREMELY pricey in Europe (Lamb Of God, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Metallica tone)

http://www.thomann.de/de/engl_powerball_e645.htm
-Great modern sounding Metal amp, 4 channels, versitaile (Necrophagist, Nevermore)

http://www.thomann.de/de/marshall_jvm410h.htm
- 12 channels, extremely versitaile but not as heavy sounding, more oldschool metal (Megadeth, Trivium, Children of Bodom sound)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 22 2009, 10:12 PM
nice post!:D

that mesa is tempting, but its allmost all that i have if i combine it with that cab.

what do you guys think of the switchblade with that marshal cab and a new shiny axe?

edit: and what about a H&K Triamp MKII instead of the mesa dual rectifier? whats the difference between them other than 100 euro?

This post has been edited by Profanity: Jan 22 2009, 10:15 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 22 2009, 10:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Profanity @ Jan 22 2009, 10:12 PM) *
nice post!:D

that mesa is tempting, but its allmost all that i have if i combine it with that cab.

what do you guys think of the switchblade with that marshal cab and a new shiny axe?

edit: and what about a H&K Triamp MKII instead of the mesa dual rectifier? whats the difference between them other than 100 euro?

I never experienced the Triamp mkII myself but I understand it's a teriffic amp. Funny think with those H&K amps, the Trimp like the Switchblade I have, are that they are voiced a bit differently on the respective channels. Which in the Switchblades case means the EQ and gain adds different characteristics depending on the channel you're on. British vs US sound and the ulta channes even has slightly scooped mids by default - i.e before you wven start messing with the EQ
Also the Triamp has different texture on the channels. Some british and some US sounding.

I agree with ZakkWyle on the cab. That Marshall cab with GT75 speakers eats my V30 cab for breakfast, lunch and dinner when it comes to metal.

I don't know about the Triamp but if you get the Switchblade you have to get a noise surpressor because the Hi gain channels will scream... I'm always quick on the volume knob for the silent pieces but there's always a squeal before I get the volume under control tongue.gif
Oh, and the Triamp comes with a Redbox too, it's for recording without miking. smile.gif

Maybe your guitar is still ok? Leaves on amp head and one cabinet and if you get the Switchblade you add a noise surpressor to that wink.gif
musikborsen.se carries them here, I'm sure they do in Norway too.

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 22 2009, 11:51 PM
ok, i just found out that a guy here in norway is selling a 5 year old, almost never used mesa triple rectifier for 2200$! or, 17euro!

should i go for that one and worry about cab and stuff later mabye?tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 23 2009, 12:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
It's your preferance in sound when it comes to the cab...I played the Marshall box with Vintage 30 speakers which sounds smooth and works well with all styles while the marshall cab with gt75 speakers is more edgy, which is great for Metal but not as versitaile as the Vintage 30s (on the other hand, the cab with Gt75s is 100Euros cheaper...)

Dunno about the H&K triamp but I know the Switchblade CAN AND WILL deliver Metal as good as any other amp I posted. It is once again your preferance: every Amp I mentioned can do metal but they all sound diffrent in one or another way, that's why testing them out against each other is so important. My impression on those amps was:

-Krank: Muddy and very limited sounding while being too expensive
-Peavey 6505: Extremely tight and direct sounding, almost too harsh for anything else besides metal
-Switchblade: 4 great channels and awesome built in effects but the sound lacks ''soul'' dunno how to describe
-Rectifier: Great american sounding amp but not better than others worth the money you have to pay outside the US (it's much cheaper there) for the money you have to pay for it in the EU, you can get a handmade boutique Amp like a Diezel Herbert which smokes the rectifier^^
-Powerball: Once again a very heavy sounding amp with more gain then you'll ever need but it's very modern sounding amp which might not be your style...
-Marshall: Has it's characteristic sound but it's not as heavy sounding as the others (although it's the most metal sounding Marshall ever built)

Try some of those amps if possible and if not; for your styles you can't go wrong with the Peavey 6505; the Switchblade or the ENGL Powerball...listen to soundclips of those amps on youtube!!!

One of those amps+cab would make ~2000 Euro so there are at least 1000 Euro to send on a great quality guitar that will serve you well for a long time.
I don't know if you prefere a special guitar type/maker/shape/color/Pickups/Bridge. You have to tell us what you want! I'll just list some great metal guitars for about ~1000Euros for you wink.gif , maybe you'll like one...

Gibson Explorer: Cool shape, Great for rythm, very full and warm sounding
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_explorer76_cw.htm

Gibson Flying V: Cool shape, very balanced sounding
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_flying_v.htm

Jackson Randy Rhoads: Cool shape, 24 frets, Emg pickup, ORIGINAL FLYOD ROSE TREMOLO
http://www.thomann.de/de/jackson_rr24m_rhoads_bk_w.htm

Ibanez Rg Prestige: Versitaile, easy to play, shredding guitar
http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_rg2550zgk.htm

Esp LTD Eclipse: Les Paul style, great tone, emg pickups
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_ltd_ec1000_stbc.htm

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2009, 12:45 AM
Instructor
You could do that mate, but be sure to check out the state of that amp, and try it out. It may turn out that you have to do some minor repairing etc, and the costs can go high very qucikly. So be careful with used gear always, specially when it is that expensive. Try this amp heavily on some cab, crank it, listen carefully, turn all teh knobs left right, listen for cracks, check out exterior, and how the amp behaves. IMO Triple Rectifier is THE metal amp, so that head is definitely worth buying if in proper state. Try to lower down the price on 2000e, or at least 2100e. Then you can buy a decent 2x12 cab for starters for another 300-400e and have a blasting tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jan 23 2009, 12:49 AM
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_rk100h_roc...rb_100_head.htm
God this thing sounds AMAZING and is well within you price range. Definitely a metal/rock amp but british. My dream amp. Plus orange is the best wink.gif Quite cheap and in my opinion WAY better than any mesa boogie rectifier. As for cabs i'd recommend the marshall above that everyone raves about or the ORange 412.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 23 2009, 12:51 AM
for guitars i like the warlock shape wery mutch. it sits nicely on my knee while playing in my room (wich is 98% of the time) and it looks great for that genre. id also like EMGs -81 and -85, even though i actually cant hear the difference between the -81 on my guitar and the stock one i had:P id also like floyd rose bridges and a really thin neck.

here in norway, they wont sell mesa, diezel, krank and h&k, and if they would ship it, they would force you to buy it, as it would be "problematic" for them to sell it to others:S

but if the triple rectifier isnt sold yet, then im going to test that one out for sure!:P

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2009, 01:10 AM
Instructor
If the rectifier is gone, I would go for the 6505 since it is an awesome metal head with great rhythm and reasonable price.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jan 23 2009, 01:41 AM
ORange man. Amazing amps

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Jan 23 2009, 02:21 AM
Marshall JVM. no other amp will do. that is the single greatest amp ever!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 23 2009, 07:15 AM
I've heard good things about Vader 412 cabs, especially together with Engl amps.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Profanity
Jan 23 2009, 08:50 AM
it isnt wery constructive to say "its the best amp, buy it" when i asked for a specific sound and flavor, but thanks for the help anyway:)

if that triple rectifier isnt going my way, i think il stay for that switchblade. it sounds really good on youtube at least compared to the other amps i have heard here (youtube is the only place i could be able to hear any of those) but if the peavy 6505+ is really good, might take that one. peavy is at least possible to test in this country:P

il get that cab, and i think i could use my guitar for a little while more, and look for a new guitar sometimes when my economy goes back up again. thanks for the help guys!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2009, 12:35 PM
Instructor
No problem mate, we're glad to help in any way. Let us know what you did in the end OK? Cheers! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:39 PM