Chooseing A New Amp Giving Me A Real Headache
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 02:38 AM
Lets go fishing!
Ok so my original choice of an Epiphone Valve standard is out of stock, and to be honest im not sure its what i wanted anyway.

Ive been trying to choose an amp all week and im not getting anywhere ohmy.gif

Bascially I really want a tube amp, didnt like the solid state ones at all and i love the warm tube sounds. I want to be able to play rock, blues and shred but it seems some amps are either "Blues and light rock" or "heavy metal".

My max budget is £340 ish. If i buy a Fender blues junior can i shred on this ?

thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 8 2007, 02:43 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Very simplistically, and I may be wrong here, generally speaking different amp preamp stages do different things well. Three broad classifications would be:

1. Clean
2. Crunch
3. High Gain

Most amps cover 2 out of the three since its a continum - the Fender I would say goes from Clean to Crunch. In additon, lead and rythym are voiced differently.

Amps that do all 3 on one channel are very rare - but a lot of amps have 2 - 3 channels to cover this, giving you the best of all possible worlds.

Another option would be to use a distortion pedal to get you into High Gain Territory, but remember I haven't played with tube amps much yet, although I have one on order, am manufacturing another, and also trying to save up for a 3rd smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 8 2007, 02:54 AM
Learning Roadie
Personally I bought a fender hot rod deluxe which can do well from clean to blues to rock and roll (now that I got it fixed anyway - it was used), but I'm going to buy a pedal for high gain stuff.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 03:05 AM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks for your swift reply guys - cant tell you how pleased i am to get sensible non-biased advice from people i can trust.

I already have a Boss MD-2 Distortion pedal which is high gain and have been pleased with. I am considering buying the Fender Blues Junior and useing it with this Pedal, and probably a Tube screamer when i can afford it.

Im really fed up with chooseing now, i cant belive its been so much hastle and its taking the fun outta guitar !!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 8 2007, 03:38 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hi Matt,

Like Andrew has categorised there are a couple of different paths.

firstly the 'American' sound, and the 'British' sound.

The American sound is Fenderish-smooth and less harsh than a british voiced amp i.e. marshall and an ac/dc kind of sound.

Then also differ in valves- American voiced amps tend to have 6L6's and 6v6's which generally have a smoother tone than the British voiced valve of choice the EL34's or EL84's.

So do you want it to be smooth clean/od or a bit more gritty?

Also, alot of the 'genres' you may want to do are not always so much in the map, but in which pedals you use (from my experience).

If you put a good pedal designed for blues in front of a good amp, you'll generally get in the ballpark tonewise. Likewise if you put a metal pedal infront of the same amp it should do the same.

I used to have a Fender Deville 4x10 and it was great for blues, but a bit too loud (another problem entirely!).

Marshalls and British voiced amps generally sound too tinny, gritty and metally to my tastes, hence why i go for the 'American/fender' sound.

Check what valves are in the amps, and i would advise getting whatever lead sound you want from a pedal, and not too worry about the amps natural od as much as i have yet to find any overdrive on an amp to blow me away.

The comments i have made are generalizations typical to certain genres, but i have had the advice passed on to me and found it to be generally true.

Good luck!

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Sep 8 2007, 03:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 03:49 AM
Lets go fishing!
Great post there Ben! biggrin.gif I am starting to realise that i need a good clean tube amp and then use the pedals to get the various OD's etc.

Im not really into the whole british sound thing, i cant think of many british groups im into so maybe an american style tube amp would be my best best.

I want to be able to do from blues, to rock, to all out shred. I already have a BOSS MD-2 Distortion pedal so im asumeing i could couple that up with the fender when i want to shred. And maybe an Ibanez tubescreamer for rock/blues lessons etc?

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 8 2007, 03:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 8 2007, 04:26 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Thanks Matt, but im just relying information!

Like i say it is a generalisation but it generally holds true in my experience.

My experience with Fender amps has been great so i would reccomend them if you want a smoother tone.

Fender deluxes and devilles are great, so id go for one of them, and let the stomp box do the overdrive for metal stuff (fender amps generally do a good blues tone especially the devillles).

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 04:46 AM
Lets go fishing!
A nice smooth tone would be good. I just wasnt geting any warmth of tone out my roland. Now ive been playing a while i can see although they are good beginner amps they dont cut the mustard when your an enhusiast! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 8 2007, 09:03 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 8 2007, 05:46 AM) *
A nice smooth tone would be good. I just wasnt geting any warmth of tone out my roland. Now ive been playing a while i can see although they are good beginner amps they dont cut the mustard when your an enhusiast! smile.gif

The Fender you're peaking at I'm sure you'll be happy with. So you're a 6L6 kind of guy, I was first going to tell you since you're in the UK you have to get a Laney... guess not. I find the Bristish sound more appealing, warmer and more lively. Fender is cleaner, a polite sound with a punch, great for blues and rock.

A Fender, your MD-2 and an Overdrive/Tubescreamer and you're set to rock biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 8 2007, 02:54 PM
GMC:er
i know this is a bit irrelevent, but i wanted to let you know i tried a valve standard when i picked up my guitar from the shop and it was pretty amazing. i only tried the clean tones but they were so warm and ooo make my micro cube sound pretty lame in comparison.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 03:45 PM
Lets go fishing!
well ive narrowed it down to the Fende blues JR, or im seriously considering the VOX AC15 cc. One british one american blink.gif

Would the Ac15 go well with OD pedals like the tube screamer?

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 8 2007, 03:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 8 2007, 05:39 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 8 2007, 04:45 PM) *
well ive narrowed it down to the Fende blues JR, or im seriously considering the VOX AC15 cc. One british one american blink.gif

Would the Ac15 go well with OD pedals like the tube screamer?

The AC15 would go well with an OD, sure.

Hardtail has written quite a bit on the Blues Jr, check for first hand information there.
I think the entire Vox line moved it's production to China, if that matters to you. To it's defense it's got a Celection Alnico Blue speaker, a classic speaker.

And mind that both are single channel amps (I think the vox is too) with means you have to work a little harder with pedals like the OD and a distortion.

Both run on EL84 power tubes (here again, at least I THINK the Fender does too) so it's not really one bristish and one american soundwise. It's bluesy amps, simple as that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 8 2007, 06:05 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
MickeM is right-The blues junior has 2xel84's as uotput, so its going to be a bit more gritty than the Deville i had that had 2x6L6's.

The amps you have listed are both repuatbvle amps so it should be great for what you want.

If you want a smoother tone on the clean, the blues deluxe is £479 (free delivery with GAK) and has 2x6L6's as output valves, which is a similar setup to the deville i had.

if its the warmth of tone you want, getting either of the valve amps you have listed will do the job.

Try them out if you can?

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 8 2007, 06:34 PM
Lets go fishing!
Unfortunatly i cant go over £350. I have ordered the VOX AC15cc smile.gif And i will mate this with an OD pedal and a Distortin pedal.

Thankyou everyone for your in depth help its been much appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 8 2007, 09:33 PM
Moderation Policy Director
And of course you'll write a review when you get it - we're all waiting to see how you like it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 9 2007, 01:06 AM
Lets go fishing!
Of course, ive wanted something worth reveiwing for a while! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:30 PM