Tube Vs Plugin Shootout
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2020, 09:16 PM
GMC:er
Per our threads on tube amps recently, I wanted to find a good example of someone using a nice tube amp rig and doing a shootout with a good plugin, in this case, BIAS FX. I like BIAS FX as it sounds "Tubey" smile.gif This is a pretty good comparison imho, what do you think? It's hard to say for sure if one is "Better", but they are different. If you close your eyes which one do you like?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MrVegas
Sep 12 2020, 01:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
i really want to like plugins.
i have amplitube4 and it really turned my off, although it does sound good at times, all the fiddiling, moving mics around messing with the efx chain, mixing cabs and turning knobs to get a sound im happy with made me just plug into my amp and forget about it.
although ive been seeing and hearing some impressive things from nueral, and nuerals interface seems to be very simplified.
i wonder if neural sounds so kick ass because the players behind it are metal greats like adam nolly getgood, plini, and tosin abasi, but really if i used it i would just go right back to my amp? i may download the demo soon cause im very curious and i really want it to be good!
Do you think amplitube4 is a toy compared to other plugins?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MrVegas: Sep 12 2020, 01:48 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2020, 03:21 AM
I hear ya. It can be a LOT of work to get a plugin to sound the way one's ears want it to sound. Sometimes it's just easier to plugin and turn up your amp and just play. I've got a handy little practice rig made up of a pedal board and a fly3micro amp that I often use as a practice rig. Just turn it on and bam, instant gratification.

The only plugin that works sorta like that for me has been EZMIX2. It's basically only got two knobs for each patch. The patches are built by by various famous folks in various genres so many of the default patches sound pretty good from the start. It's the only plugin that I"ve found so far with good built in presets.Don't get me wrong, I love overloud THU, but I had to tweak the crap out of the stock presets. Also, I run it inside my daw which means starting up the computer, loading the daw, etc. Some times it's just more expedient to have an amp near by.

This is my little practice rig. It's sitting on top of a 4x12 which isn't plugged in at the moment. Even my small 5 watt mojo micro amp can drive the cab hard enough to get a visit from the neighbors. The pedal board is very handy in that the pedals slot in via magnets and get power directly from the board so you don't need patch cables or power cables for the pedalls. It's just one piece. You can pop out each pedal and use patch and power cables though if needed.

QUOTE (MrVegas @ Sep 11 2020, 08:47 PM) *
i really want to like plugins.
i have amplitube4 and it really turned my off, although it does sound good at times, all the fiddiling, moving mics around messing with the efx chain, mixing cabs and turning knobs to get a sound im happy with made me just plug into my amp and forget about it.
although ive been seeing and hearing some impressive things from nueral, and nuerals interface seems to be very simplified.
i wonder if neural sounds so kick ass because the players behind it are metal greats like adam nolly getgood, plini, and tosin abasi, but really if i used it i would just go right back to my amp? i may download the demo soon cause im very curious and i really want it to be good!
Do you think amplitube4 is a toy compared to other plugins?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 12 2020, 05:17 PM
As some of you probably know, I have recently gotten into the home recording thing. One of the fascinating aspects of it all has been the option of doing everything in the box. Frankly I'm amazed how good it's gotten, especially when one takes the time to really dial in a sound. I'm not a 'modern' metal guy and my particular focus has been lower gain to 70s hard rock tone as well as clean tones. Not the super compressed and scooped ultra clean neo-soul type. That seems to be pretty easy to get. The 'just a hint of drive' fat clean that you hear in jazz, soul, country and classic funk playing. Getting that tone with an amp is easy for me as I've been micing amps since the 80s. Replicating ITB has proved a bit more challenging but I think I'm getting there, especially within a recorded context.

Here's a track I did with two guitar parts. One is a mic'd amp and the other is an amp sim. I was looking to get two different guitar sounds and approaches so I didn't use the same guitar, amp/amp sim or playing style. I even used a different guitar pick.
I'd be curious if you can tell which is 'real' and which is ITB and if you can, then why or what gives it away.

https://soundcloud.com/klasaine/funk-59
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine/funk-59

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 12 2020, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2020, 05:42 PM
At a guess I'd say left channel is the guitar, but Ive got an even chance of just guessing smile.gif As for what gives it away, the left (lower register) sounds a pinch more "hairy". There is a bit of fret noise and hint of tube growl. If I've gotten it backwards then you are better than you think at dialing in your ITB tones.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 13 2020, 11:31 PM
Your ears are well tuned!
The right side, the first guitar is a Jazz box into a Fender tweed amp sim.
The left side, guitar two, is my Strat into a real Fender amp mic'd and with an OD pedal.

*I think they both sound pretty decent though. Scary how good it's all gotten.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 13 2020, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2020, 06:43 AM
I use a LOT of plugins for recording guitars smile.gif So i'm used to what they do, and don't do. I usually end up trying to add in the bits that they don't do well and get a good ITB faux tone going smile.gif both of them sound cool! One just sounds a bit more "boxed" than the other. Most folks probably wouldn't notice.

\

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 13 2020, 06:31 PM) *
Your ears are well tuned!
The right side, the first guitar is a Jazz box into a Fender tweed amp sim.
The left side, guitar two, is my Strat into a real Fender amp mic'd and with an OD pedal.

*I think they both sound pretty decent though. Scary how good it's all gotten.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:51 AM