General Question About Mixing
kfir26
Mar 30 2011, 09:26 AM
GMC:er
I heard couple of Muris Varajic BT and there awsome (steve lukather style ex), i'm intersted on making these kind of backing tracks.
I heard he is using addictive drums and trilogy. when i compose with these plugins i feel there is somthing missing..
The bass & drums sounds ok but they not cd-quality like in muris track.
I would appriciate if someone can help me in what to do in order to get that kind of sound

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 30 2011, 09:58 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
It´s hard to answer without actually hearing your audio but nonetheless and assuming it´s a mix rather than compositional thing..

Some of the common issues with a lot of mixes are:

1/ instruments fight each other for space in the mix due to poor EQ.

2/ Insufficient or incorrect EQ band pass filtering means that instruments take up room in parts of the frequency band where they shouldn´t.

3/ Poor mic placement and//or panning results in poor stereo width and depth.

4/ Incorrect track levels for individual instruments/parts.

5/ Poor eq of the low mid and mid mid range resulting in muddy and congested mixes.

6/ Poor EQ of the high mid resulting in a lack of air and transparency.

7/ Too much bass end ending up in boom and a lack of perceived volume.

8/Incorrect use of compression to affect and control level on bass and drums.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
kfir26
Mar 31 2011, 09:44 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 30 2011, 08:58 AM) *
It´s hard to answer without actually hearing your audio but nonetheless and assuming it´s a mix rather than compositional thing..

Some of the common issues with a lot of mixes are:

1/ instruments fight each other for space in the mix due to poor EQ.

2/ Insufficient or incorrect EQ band pass filtering means that instruments take up room in parts of the frequency band where they shouldn´t.

3/ Poor mic placement and//or panning results in poor stereo width and depth.

4/ Incorrect track levels for individual instruments/parts.

5/ Poor eq of the low mid and mid mid range resulting in muddy and congested mixes.

6/ Poor EQ of the high mid resulting in a lack of air and transparency.

7/ Too much bass end ending up in boom and a lack of perceived volume.

8/Incorrect use of compression to affect and control level on bass and drums.

Thanks for the info
I'll try to upload a test track later and maybe you can help me...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 31 2011, 02:22 PM
Instructor
It could be anything that tony mentioned. If you post your mix, we can help more.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kfir26
Mar 31 2011, 09:09 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 31 2011, 01:22 PM) *
It could be anything that tony mentioned. If you post your mix, we can help more.

Hi here is piece i made..all the composition sound flat and the drums sound boring..please give me suggestions

QUOTE (kfir26 @ Mar 31 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Hi here is piece i made..all the composition sound flat and the drums sound boring..please give me suggestions

Here is another simple example....

Attached File(s)
Attached File  test.mp3 ( 1.98MB ) Number of downloads: 141
Attached File  test2.mp3 ( 522.45K ) Number of downloads: 141

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 4 2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor
I've listened these examples, and yes, drums are a bit "boring". This is not only the mixing issue, it's programming issue as well. Hihat is sounding even on all shots, so you should spend some time programming velocity properly, as this is the first step of making your software drummer sound like a real drummer.

After that, put the drum components on separate tracks and work slowly on each of them. Shape the sound of each component so they have a place within the range, but they don't colide with other instruments. Go slowly, and try to do more cutting than boosting in the EQ.

In essence, I wouldn't spend too much time in mixing, instead of focusing on getting the sound right when composing, recording/programming. In mixing, it's best to keep things very simple, and cut something that really stands out. Try to level the channels properly, as this is very important, you don't want something to stand out that much. If you spend too much time EQing the channels, you may end up with great sounding mix on your speakers, and terrible sounding mix on other speakers, because you narrowed the ranges of channels. The channels need to have big ranges, so it's more of a gentle shaping during the mix, to cut corners, and make way for everything.

As always, start out with the biggest things. Listen to your mix, listen, listen. What stands out? What is loud? What channel is loud? Why? Does it have too much lows, mids, highs? What tracks are compressed-sounding, what tracks have good dynamics? How do they related to each other. Solo, mute sections to see how they go with each other. listen, listen.. do it again.

In the end, the mastering is where you will polish your mix, and let it shine. For starters, put a simple compressor to master bus and start playing with values and see what happens. Then try a combination of two compressors, one multiband and one regular. Try to get good compressor plugins, and when you use the two, make sure you use gentle compressions on both. Save the dynamics of the mix, don't amplify too much. It won't sound better, it will only sound louder.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 4 2011, 05:26 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kfir26
Apr 6 2011, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 4 2011, 04:23 PM) *
I've listened these examples, and yes, drums are a bit "boring". This is not only the mixing issue, it's programming issue as well. Hihat is sounding even on all shots, so you should spend some time programming velocity properly, as this is the first step of making your software drummer sound like a real drummer.

After that, put the drum components on separate tracks and work slowly on each of them. Shape the sound of each component so they have a place within the range, but they don't colide with other instruments. Go slowly, and try to do more cutting than boosting in the EQ.

In essence, I wouldn't spend too much time in mixing, instead of focusing on getting the sound right when composing, recording/programming. In mixing, it's best to keep things very simple, and cut something that really stands out. Try to level the channels properly, as this is very important, you don't want something to stand out that much. If you spend too much time EQing the channels, you may end up with great sounding mix on your speakers, and terrible sounding mix on other speakers, because you narrowed the ranges of channels. The channels need to have big ranges, so it's more of a gentle shaping during the mix, to cut corners, and make way for everything.

As always, start out with the biggest things. Listen to your mix, listen, listen. What stands out? What is loud? What channel is loud? Why? Does it have too much lows, mids, highs? What tracks are compressed-sounding, what tracks have good dynamics? How do they related to each other. Solo, mute sections to see how they go with each other. listen, listen.. do it again.

In the end, the mastering is where you will polish your mix, and let it shine. For starters, put a simple compressor to master bus and start playing with values and see what happens. Then try a combination of two compressors, one multiband and one regular. Try to get good compressor plugins, and when you use the two, make sure you use gentle compressions on both. Save the dynamics of the mix, don't amplify too much. It won't sound better, it will only sound louder.

Hi great thanks i think i understand what you are saying..i try to make each instruments as perfect as i can and then i mix them together, another great tip that i got from someone is to listen to a cd and "learn" from it mix..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:06 AM