Job Help Required
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 01:27 PM
GMC:er
I'm really not happy with my current job but I can't leave it. It's great pay and it's paying off my debts but I am miserable coming into work everyday. I can't quit because I don't have the funds to keep me going for any time without a job and I'm just starting to claw my way back to the plus. I also am thinking of moving to USA to get an engineering job rather than working in UK but my friends keep begging me not to go but I think it would make me happy as I'm a very depressed person in the UK. Anyone else had problems like this with jobs and what did you do. I'm on really amazing pay but it a job that bores me to tears. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 10 2008, 01:53 PM
GMC Founder
Well this is something I have thought quite a bit about - I have met very few people who are actually happy with their job, doesn't really matter with the job is.

A job is a job, and free time is free time. There is no way around that. The first few years of your first job might fun but it usually always ends.

Most people who get the chance to start working with what they do on their free time usually end up being just as unhappy.

So my conclusion - is that there is no point in trying to change the world around you. I don't think anyone can! However, something which is far more doable and which very few people try, is to actually change yourself.

If your goal is to be happy (and it should be!) - than I am quite sure there are things in your daily routine which you could turn into joyful moments, provided you can work with yourself.

The energy you get from that combined with the bucs you are making from your current job could perhaps be used on your free time to develop something (it could be an aspect of your personality, a business or whatever).

My point is that you shouldn't look so much at your job and think that "if only" you could change this and that - look at yourself and start making the changes today instead... smile.gif

Hmm I hope I didn't sound too much like a confused preacher there... huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 02:00 PM
lol. Thanks for the advice. I'd say I'm fairly happy outside the job but it is impacting on my free time and making me miserable when I get in from work. I have been working here 3 months now and it seems to be getting worse and worse but I'm giving it a chance and I will decide probably in another 9 months whether I should look for a new job or not. I do need to sort out my free time. I lose all my will to do something at work. I started learning to use 3D Studio Max and came up with some cool designs and I don't do that anymore. I can design websites but I just haven't the enthusiasm anymore. The only thing I do when I get in from work is either drink alcohol, read my book or watch Lost lol. It isn't the best life. I get out from time to time but not enough really sad.gif

I have to change things for the better.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 10 2008, 02:04 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
that makes perfect sense actually and something in the last few months I`ve concentrated on myself!

I hate my job, but it pays well and keeps a roof over our heads, food on the table but more importantly guiatrs in my room biggrin.gif

More recently I realised how much I enjoy producing my own backings, songs etc, I`ve of course done it in the past but not had the money to be able to do anything properly, so this is exactly what I`ve been doing more recently, investing in some decent gear, guitars, recording equipment etc, it does actually make the everyday slog kinda more worthwhile biggrin.gif I realise I will never be able to leave my job, I have to guarantee that my family is catered for first and foremost, but as Kris says, make it for a different purpose to feed a greater passion, treat it for what it is, a jobs a job at the end of the day and we`re quite lucky to have it I guess and it doesnt seem quite so bad in the end smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 10 2008, 02:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Nice reply Kris smile.gif

I'm bored outta my mind as well from my current job, but I quit and only have three weeks left smile.gif
I'm starting in a new job in four weeks, so I'm happy smile.gif

My advice is to do what you feel is right for you!
If you really wanna move and try out different things, then do so.
If it sucks, well move back home again smile.gif
If you know you'll be sad in your current job it's no use in working there IMO.

I'm not saying that your work should be fun, but it's not right when you feel miserable..
Think about your options, and do what you think is the best for you smile.gif

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 02:15 PM
I think I can find a job that is much more interesting than this one to be honest. I know a job isn't supposed to be the most fun but it shouldn't make you miserable. I don't mind going to work and earning money but I want to be doing something that doesn;t send me to sleep. Reading papers on Pilot Flight Training is not my idea of fun lol.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 10 2008, 02:21 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 10 2008, 01:15 PM) *
I think I can find a job that is much more interesting than this one to be honest. I know a job isn't supposed to be the most fun but it shouldn't make you miserable. I don't mind going to work and earning money but I want to be doing something that doesn;t send me to sleep. Reading papers on Pilot Flight Training is not my idea of fun lol.

Did you know that Steve Morse (one of my all time favorite guitarists) actually quit his [successful] guitar career to become an airline pilot? He worked as a pilot for one year.

He then returned to gigging, touring and recording albums (with Deep Purple etc)

The guy got to do what most of us are dreaming about - and he had to become an airline pilot to realise that work is work. I would advise you to not go through the same procedure yourself - he has already done it for us! laugh.gif

So - once again, change your idea of fun - that is the fastest, easiest and most efficient way! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not becoming a pilot lol. I get Airsick biggrin.gif I'm just working in a job that involves improving pilot training in military applications. I hate flying as it makes me really ill sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 10 2008, 02:50 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Some great advice here...i'll be keeping things like this in mind for sure smile.gif

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Apr 10 2008, 02:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I would have to agree 100 % with Kris here. A couple of years ago I had this job, the paying was good, the work was interesting but my boss was a pain in the you know. There is always an excuse for not being happy at your job. So I was a coffee trader , and I liked everything with coffee , so I decided to start my own coffee business, its been a hard work , I have worked like never in my live but Im happy , so if you can find something that you love to do and you can get paid of , I would recommend you to do that.

There is nothing like being your own boss , and better being your own boss doing something you love to do. So I guess someday I am going live playing guitar too.

Kind regards.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 10 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna try and sort things out in the coming months and get my life balanced. I think I need a holiday as well. Not been on holiday in 4 years so I could do with the break. I'm gonna try and play guitar more as well and I really want loads of gigs with my band. Can you earn money teaching music theory or not? I'm trying to learn everything about music theory and I'm going through all the gradings to make sure I don;t miss anything smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 10 2008, 02:57 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 10 2008, 02:55 PM) *
I think I need a holiday as well. Not been on holiday in 4 years so I could do with the break.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think that would help wink.gif

I haven't been on holiday for almost 2 years, i'm already feeling it- i can't imagine how you're coping without a break!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 10 2008, 03:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think liking your job is a good thing. You'll work better and maybe even get promotion. I'd say just look around, maybe advert on one of those "I search a new job" websites ( in holland the dutch version of http://www.monster.co.uk/ is very popular). Or if you like to stick to the place, get a chat with your chief, maybe he can help you. They are human to tongue.gif
succes m8 and, don't move to the US untill you have it totally figured out for your self. Don't haste it and then after a year come back again with "well it wasn't all good there..". Your neighbours grass is always greener (that's a dutch term meaning it always look better everywhere else).

You'll be fine! Good luck and don't forget to have some fun!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Apr 10 2008, 03:15 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 10 2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor
That's a great and wise advice Kris, thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:09 AM