2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Need A Piece Of Advice On "getting Better".
HexDump
Sep 30 2008, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
Hi all GMC friends,

I have been playing guitar pretty hard through this 2 past years (I´ve been playing guitar for 8 years, but it is now when I´m doing it seriously). Well, I think I´m not improving much, this is a problem for me because I enjoy playing guitar when I play things I like, and in the beginning I though, well, this song is hard, but sure I will do it in 2 or 3 years. Now I´m seeing I won´t be playing lota things now and that my tech is just... rubbish smile.gif. As an example I can´t do the 1234 exercise faster than 120 bpm.

I know speed is not the only thing, but it gets frustating when you can´t get any higher don´t matter how you try. So, I would like someone to tell me what can I do from here on. I know lota peopple has this same problems but don´t know how they fix them. In the other side I know I´m not verty talented at music. I have friends who started playing at same time and they have improve its tech pretty fast and they play really nice, but it is something I have assumed.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by HexDump: Sep 30 2008, 07:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 30 2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor
We all feel like this at some point, there are other things to focus on besides speed, like your phrasing, bends and vibrato, are you happy with these the way they are now??,

When it comes to speed, you will need to keep practicing as with everything else, in order to increase speed just do what has been suggested before in these forums, increase slowly, try now the 1234 at 124bpm and then 128bpm, go back to 120 bpm, and it should feel easier. Every now and then go crazy and try 136 bpm or something like that and test yourself.

When trying to play at the faster speeds that you know you can't play, your hand positioning might change, and might help you find a new hand position that allows you to pick faster.

How is your legato technique are you able to play fast with legato?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
HexDump
Sep 30 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, using legato I can play a lot faster yes... but this makes me feel like cheating biggrin.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 30 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Sep 30 2008, 08:48 PM) *
Hi all GMC friends,

I have been playing guitar pretty hard through this 2 past years (I´ve been playing guitar for 8 years, but it is now when I´m doing it seriously). Well, I think I´m not improving much, this is a problem for me because I enjoy playing guitar when I play things I like, and in the beginning I though, well, this song is hard, but sure I will do it in 2 or 3 years. Now I´m seeing I won´t be playing lota things now and that my tech is just... rubbish smile.gif. As an example I can´t do the 1234 exercise faster than 120 bpm.

I know speed is not the only thing, but it gets frustating when you can´t get any higher don´t matter how you try. So, I would like someone to tell me what can I do from here on. I know lota peopple has this same problems but don´t know how they fix them. In the other side I know I´m not verty talented at music. I have friends who started playing at same time and they have improve its tech pretty fast and they play really nice, but it is something I have assumed.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

Hello HexDump,

Welcome to GMC first of all , you came to the right place definitely.

I recommend you do following things

- Make a list of things that are important to your style of playing
It can be Bending, Sliding, Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking, Chicken picking (hybrid) , Fingerstyle, Harmonics, Vibrato etc

- Once you have your list down , create/write down at least 5 exercises for each area you want to work on.
You can use other people's exercises they don't have to be your own , just find ones that are useful for things you are working on.

- Assign starting tempo for each exercise and practice moving tempos by 4 to 8bpms every day.
If you practice 3 or more hours a day guitar , organized practice , you will definitely see huge improvement by doing this.

- Get a timer and use it when practicing!
One exercises 2to3 minutes and move to the next one then next one... Practice like this for an hour then take 10 -15 minute brake and come back to continue practicing.

After less then a month you should see obvious signs of improvements in all areas!

Hope this helps!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 30 2008, 11:17 PM
Instructor
Well it is normal to feel that way, no one got better over the night. But if you look a year back you will see just how much progress you've made. Maybe you need a better routine, or some more motivation. Try to make a goal with exercises, and make a system, and watch some of guitar players that inspire you. This can help.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 1 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi again,

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I don´t know if I´m asking for too much, but is there any possiblity to build a practice routine with some of the teachers based on my preferences?. I don´t mind doing the exercise research myself, but I would like to built the routine with you that are more experienced.

For example, I like Vinnie moore, Yngwie and Satriani a lot. I know this guitarists technique are impressive and my objective is not match it, but, I would like to play their songs (not the most difficult). So, I think Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking and vibrato will be the techniques I should be putting time on. Could we do a practice ruotine with this? I just have 2 hours per day to play. I would like after a month or something like this to inform our teaches about my improvements and see if I´m doing things ok. What do you think?. I need a mentor!!! biggrin.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 1 2008, 11:45 AM) *
Hi again,

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I don´t know if I´m asking for too much, but is there any possiblity to build a practice routine with some of the teachers based on my preferences?. I don´t mind doing the exercise research myself, but I would like to built the routine with you that are more experienced.

For example, I like Vinnie moore, Yngwie and Satriani a lot. I know this guitarists technique are impressive and my objective is not match it, but, I would like to play their songs (not the most difficult). So, I think Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking and vibrato will be the techniques I should be putting time on. Could we do a practice ruotine with this? I just have 2 hours per day to play. I would like after a month or something like this to inform our teaches about my improvements and see if I´m doing things ok. What do you think?. I need a mentor!!! biggrin.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

HexDump I would love to help you out and will do that as soon as I get some extra time . Right now I am not replying from my home but when I come home later tonight expect practice plan with exercises based on techniques you mentioned.
I used to play Satriani every single song , and Yngwie some of the famous ones (far beyond the sun, demon driver, trilogy suite etc) so I can definitely point you in right direction.

2 Hours a day is good start I will make sure to supply you with enough interesting exercises/sequences/melodies/techniques during that time.

Besides practicing technique , I suggest you add extra hour or so for Repertoire , playing complete songs, or just riffs or even solos!

So stay on your toes I will try to post you your practice plan tonight on this same thread.

Have a good one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 1 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi again,

Thanks a lot mate. You don´t know how important this is to me, I really apreciate it. Can´t wait to start with your instructions smile.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 1 2008, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 1 2008, 11:45 AM) *
I like Vinnie moore, Yngwie and Satriani a lot. I know this guitarists technique are impressive and my objective is not match it, but, I would like to play their songs (not the most difficult). So, I think Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking and vibrato will be the techniques I should be putting time on. Could we do a practice ruotine with this? I just have 2 hours per day to play. I would like after a month or something like this to inform our teaches about my improvements and see if I´m doing things ok. What do you think?. I need a mentor!!! biggrin.gif.

Here are a couple of suggestions mate:

- Legato

I would start with this lesson, easily, to get a hold of pentatonic patterns a bit

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-legato-slides/

Also you can make various combinations based on these patterns and practice what you like.

- Alternate

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-picking/

Here you have 3-note-per-string pattern of the major key modes, that you can work out along side alternate picking. Very basic exercises that will increase your precision and timing.

- Tapping

Joe made two very nice basic tapping lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-you-must-know/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...s-with-tapping/

- Sweep Picking

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-basics-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...weeping-basics/

- Economy Picking

Stay tuned for my new lesson on modes where we do economy modes:

Also Danilo made a good series on economy - here's the link for the first lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...nomy-picking-i/

- Vibrato

Good series from Marcus where he explains vibrato very good.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ibrato-lesson1/

All these examples should give you some insights on how to create your own routines. The best advice that I can give you is to take it easy, and set your goals in a short term kind of way. This means that you don't make a heavy routine that will get you stuck with some exercises more than 1-2 weeks. Remember practicing is fun. If you have two hours, make 4 30 minute parts from that session, with a little 5 minute pause in between. While you progress, keep a notebook at hand and write down daily exercises and things what you will be practicing during next week. Don't go too far and write for a whole month, just take it slow. If you feel you have a lot of things to learn, just take the bits and pieces that you find the most interesting, but from as many techniques as you can. Don't worry if you don't learn "everything" because there is NO everything, as long as you keep those 2 hours you will advance pretty quickly. So rock on mate, and ask if you need anything else.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 1 2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor
Awesome advice from Pedja and Ivan, you should have enough material now to practice.

Good Luck!!!

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 1 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks a lot for the answers.... I will try my best to get the most from your advises.

HexDump.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2008, 10:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 1 2008, 02:19 PM) *
Hi again,

Thanks a lot mate. You don´t know how important this is to me, I really apreciate it. Can´t wait to start with your instructions smile.gif.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

HexDump I am back !

Here is my detailed plan and suggestion for your 2 hour slot !
Couple of things about the plan:

1) You will practice for one hour straight then take 15 minute brake and do another hour, so whole plan will really be 2 hours and 15 minutes smile.gif

2 hours = 120 minutes : 3 minutes for exercise = 40 exercises total : 6 techniques = 6-7 exercises per technique or 3 -4 exercises but repeat them in second hour of your practice!

Your techniques are :

- Legato
- Alternate
- Sweep picking
- Tapping
- Economy picking
- Vibrato

Suggestion : You will practice each exercise for 2:30 minutes and have 30 seconds brake in between exercises.

Now I will upload you some Guitar pro files with exercises in those areas. I will give you couple for each area and you should practice them at very slow tempo at first and gradually increase tempo every day by 4-8 bpm. In the beginning this will be easier but once you get to 140-150bpm take it easy with 16th notes and triplets - it will take you longer than a day to move to another tempo.

I will get to tabbing right now and post you examples for these techniques very soon. In the meanwhile you can create word sheet or excel with different columns and time slots as well as days (7 days on top, then on the left Legato then 3 -6 exercises below it then another technique and so on and so forth). You will use this table to write in your tempo in there every day that you practice and keep your progress.

See you in half an hour or so biggrin.gif

Here is 2 Alternate picking examples using single string only ! You can do this on any string really its great stretching and warm up.

More examples coming soon!

Here is 3rd Alternate picking example.
This should be enough for start ! I will try to do some legato ones for you right now.

Here is one for legato ! Make sure you do this one really slow because it stretches out 2nd and 3rd finger which are really hard to stretch - don't go for speed here just get the mechanics down.

Another one for legato - 3 note per string pattern in A dorian - you can see this one in Ritchie Kotzen video I believe , and Satriani does this one a lot!

Exercise 3 for legato is sequence in C major or A relative minor. Read the notes in the score information for more info!

Hope this is enough for tonight ! I will try to post you more examples tomorrow (for tapping and sweep picking for example).

Let me know how you are doing with these exercises !

Thanks

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 1 2008, 11:14 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Alternate1.gp5 ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 251
Attached File  Alternate_2.gp5 ( 2.21K ) Number of downloads: 194
Attached File  Alternate_3.gp5 ( 2.17K ) Number of downloads: 174
Attached File  Legato__1.gp5 ( 2.1K ) Number of downloads: 167
Attached File  Legato_2.gp5 ( 2.14K ) Number of downloads: 171
Attached File  Legato_3.gp5 ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 152

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 2 2008, 01:45 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Wow Pedja - that's an excellently constructed routine - I am sure many others will benefit from this too smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 2 2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 2 2008, 02:45 AM) *
Wow Pedja - that's an excellently constructed routine - I am sure many others will benefit from this too smile.gif

Thank you Andrew!
I would love if we could pin this topic somehow - if that's possible?
I will add more exercises into it and also upload a PRACTICE SHEET with times and everything.

I have learned about this system 10 years ago while I was studying at London Guitar Institute. It is 100% effective system and it gives amazing results. Of course I modified their system a lot because they had it for lessons but I applied the concept to all the techniques and created a lot of exercises for each technique study.
This system saves a lot of time, warms you up properly and sets a very strong foundation for any style of music that you wish to tackle and play.

I am starting to realize I sound like telemarketer so I will stop here biggrin.gif

Hope we can pin or stick this topic somewhere!

Thanks Andrew smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 2 2008, 02:29 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Good Idea! I added it to the "Important Topics" list smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 2 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi again,

Sorry to be late, but I got a pile of work. Thanks a lot for the routine Pedja I will notify you about my feelings with the exercises.

This is incredible... peopple at GMC really care about students, and this is really really important.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 2 2008, 04:16 PM
Awesome work Pedja. That will really help me out also smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 2 2008, 05:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 2 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Hi again,

Sorry to be late, but I got a pile of work. Thanks a lot for the routine Pedja I will notify you about my feelings with the exercises.

This is incredible... peopple at GMC really care about students, and this is really really important.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

You are absolutely right! This is one place on net where instructors actually do care to help out students. I am amazed as much as you are biggrin.gif
More exercises coming up soon !

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 2 2008, 05:16 PM) *
Awesome work Pedja. That will really help me out also smile.gif

Thank you very much . I am glad you will apply this practice routine!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 2 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi again,

I see digitation is in the tabs too, must we use this digitation to maximize results or they are just a suggestion?.

Can´t wait for all the other exercises. When I have all the exercises I will start with the routine smile.gif. Now I´m just learning the licks. Again thanks a lot for your time and attention.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 2 2008, 10:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 2 2008, 11:04 PM) *
Hi again,

I see digitation is in the tabs too, must we use this digitation to maximize results or they are just a suggestion?.

Can´t wait for all the other exercises. When I have all the exercises I will start with the routine smile.gif. Now I´m just learning the licks. Again thanks a lot for your time and attention.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

Hi Hex !
I am working on a solo for a lesson right now but as soon as I finish it I will upload more exercises for you.
The notes are my suggestion regarding fingerings (left hand) as well as picking - they should be very useful when it comes to maximizing your practice time and progress. So I recommend you stick with them if you can.

I will probably finish solo in an hour or so and you can expect within next two hours more exercises.

Thanks !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:58 AM