2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Amp To Choose?
Sone
Jan 1 2013, 08:40 PM
GMC:er
Hi. I don't know which tube-amp to buy? I play the blues and rock. I have an amp, and it's Fender Frontman 212r, which is really great, but I am collecting money for something more serious. I play the Stratocaster. I decided to by fender, and it will be combo amp. I really don't know what are the differences between twin reverb, super reverb, vibrasonic, blues deluxe, ... I prefer the tone with more bass, (like SRV, John Mayer). I hope you will tell me the differences between these amps, and what would be the best option for me. Thank you, and happy holidays! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out this blues rock band from Serbia!
http://www.facebook.com/TheCockblockers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 1 2013, 09:07 PM
Instructor
Well, as we always say, the best way to choose the amp that you are looking for is going to a music store and trying them with you guitar and your fingers.. the sounds changes a lot depending the guitar that you are using and also depending on the player. Tube amps are great and both Fender and Marshall have amps that cover the styles and tones that you like. You could start searching for the amps that SRV used and John Mayer uses and check some audio tests at youtube and then going to any stores to try the ones that you like more...

check this links:

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what...g-and-equipment

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sone
Jan 1 2013, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 1 2013, 08:07 PM) *
Well, as we always say, the best way to choose the amp that you are looking for is going to a music store and trying them with you guitar and your fingers.. the sounds changes a lot depending the guitar that you are using and also depending on the player. Tube amps are great and both Fender and Marshall have amps that cover the styles and tones that you like. You could start searching for the amps that SRV used and John Mayer uses and check some audio tests at youtube and then going to any stores to try the ones that you like more...

check this links:

Thanks for fast response. I saw these links, but whats the essential difference between fender twin reverb, super twin reverb, vibrasonic, blues deluxe... Some people think, it's only difference in power. And what you think about used amps? I saw some twin reverbs from 'seventies and eighties, but they are used. Should I buy new or used amp?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 1 2013, 10:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sone @ Jan 1 2013, 05:25 PM) *
Thanks for fast response. I saw these links, but whats the essential difference between fender twin reverb, super twin reverb, vibrasonic, blues deluxe... Some people think, it's only difference in power. And what you think about used amps? I saw some twin reverbs from 'seventies and eighties, but they are used. Should I buy new or used amp?

Well, I haven't try each of those amps so I can't talk about how it feels to play them but all the technical descriptions can be found at Fender's site: http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/searc...Vintage+Reissue

And regarding getting and used amp, I think that it's a good idea but the best is to find that people that gets a good amp but don't work professionally as a musician so this means that they don't use it too much, and that they don't move the amp all the time from the rehearsal room to the concerts. This type of amps are really well made so you will find old amps in a very good state. The only thing that you surely will have to if the amp has many years is to replace the tubes... if you do it the amp will sound as a new amp.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sone
Jan 2 2013, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 1 2013, 09:23 PM) *
Well, I haven't try each of those amps so I can't talk about how it feels to play them but all the technical descriptions can be found at Fender's site: http://www.fender.com/es-ES/products/searc...Vintage+Reissue

And regarding getting and used amp, I think that it's a good idea but the best is to find that people that gets a good amp but don't work professionally as a musician so this means that they don't use it too much, and that they don't move the amp all the time from the rehearsal room to the concerts. This type of amps are really well made so you will find old amps in a very good state. The only thing that you surely will have to if the amp has many years is to replace the tubes... if you do it the amp will sound as a new amp.

Huh..okey, that's what interests me for now. If somebody knows important differences between those amps, let me know about it. But, thanks for help.

What marshall tube-amp is best for blues/rock? Is it JCM 800? I need clean amp, because I use some pedals, and I don't need effect from amp.. (effects like distortion,...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
GregH
Jan 2 2013, 01:47 AM
I am afraid the answer is that you have to listen to each amp, preferably with your guitar and at a volume level that is where you think you will be using it.

Most of the Fender amps you mentioned are open back and that means that what is behind the amplifier will also effect how the amp sounds.

The difference between the Twin Reverb and the Vibrosonic is essentially two 12 inch speakers verses one 15 inch speaker. One 15 will not give as good a high frequency response as two 12s but the 15 will open up the low end more (assuming similar quality between the 12 and 15 inch speakers).

Personally, I prefer used amps. For the most part, the Fenders from the ’60 and ’70 sound better (in my opinion). The designers were a little more on top of tube design, being state of the art technology then.

All tube amps will require more maintenance the solid state amplifiers. Tubes wear out. The heat levels are higher and the voltages are a lot higher so some parts (like electrolytic capacitors) tend to die over time. But tube amps are still capable of lasting years without maintenance.

I have a ’71 Twin which has given me years of good service. I end up re-tubing it every once and a while but other than that (so far) it has been reasonably trouble free. I did dispose of the original Eminence speakers and put in Altec 417s. That really cleaned up the high end. I currently am trying JBL D120F speakers. They brought out the middle a little more then the Altecs but I lost some of the ice-clear highs.

To me, the biggest factor in how a tube amp sounds is the type of output tube used in the amplifier. All the Fenders you mentioned use the 6L6. That tube, in a properly designed amp, has a really good clean sound. They can produce a nice dirty sound when pushed hard but the cleans are where they do the best. Several amplifiers with 6L6s do have notably good distortion (Mesa Boogy, for example) but they get most of the distortion from overdriving the preamp section (in general, with exceptions).

Marshall amps, in general, like the 800, tend to use the EL34. I have never been a fan of the EL34 for its clean sound. In a lot of ways, they are not a very well designed tube. However, when driven hard, the EL34 complains in a wonderfully sounding way, giving a nice dirty sound. My Marshall Super Lead is an example of that. Great amp, but not my first choice for clean sounds.

So, once again, listen to each amp yourself and see which one fits in with how your guitar sounds in your head. smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 2 2013, 04:32 AM
As mentioned above the best thing to do is try them with your guitar.

In general, I can tell you this and as we say in the States - YMMV ... 'your milegage may vary'.

Twin Reverb - Loud (85 to 100 watts depending on the model), heavy and usually 'bright' ( a lot of high end). Twins are best when you can turn them up a little bit.
Super Reverb - a little less wattage - smaller transformer, less efficient speakers (that's not a bad thing in amps necessarily). Darker and mellower than a Twin. Both SRV and Derek Trucks used/use Supers.
Vibrolux - the smallest of the 6L6 fenders. 2x10" speakers, small tranny, quick breakup. A great amp for blues.

[*Super Twin* ... stay away from this amp. One of the weakest of the fender family in both tone and construction. Yes, I owned one briefly.]

Vibrasonic - Big transformer and JBL speakers (4x10"). Another loud and clean Fender.

Hot Rod/Blues series are newer fender amps and I feel they all sound pretty good. It's really more about how much power you need and how much dough you want to spend. I use a Blues Junior all the time on small/quiet gigs. A Blues or Hot Rod Deluxe will have a darker sound than a Twin.

A 'Pro' is like a low powered Twin. In general the Pro will start to break up around 4 and a Twin will be pretty clean until almost all the way up. Of course it depends on your pickups too. If you're using overwound humbuckers you'll drive any amp into 'breakup' faster.

I personally would recommend a Silver Face era Deluxe, Vibrolux or Super (even a twin) if you can find one in decent condition. They're great sounding (now 'vintage') amps that are still reasonably priced and will last for ever when taken care of. *They also have great re-sale value.

I use both a SF era Princeton and a BF era Bassman - they're my two favorite amplifiers (and I have a lot of amps, lol!).

*Again these are very quick and rough generalizations about a few of the more popular Fender amps (there are MANY more models both vintage and current).
The second tune in my signature is using a re-issue Fender Bassman amp (with a CIJ Fender Jazzmaster guitar).

I have a lot of descriptions of gear listed with the songs posted here ... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cf...p;content=music

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 2 2013, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2013, 05:37 AM
Instructor
Great input guys! I'm not very into Fender Amps so I can't say which is the different. I always preferred Marshall and Mesa Boggie for rock and metal. If you are going to use Pedals to boost the amp, I think that JCM800 would be my choice, it's my favourite among Marshall amps. This amps only have one channel and the drive starts to appear when you set it at higher volume. I had a JCM 900 dual reverb and tried a JCM 800 and the second one won the battle! The tone was warmer and bigger... But once again, I think that the best would be that you try both with your guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 2 2013, 08:03 AM
I'll second what Gabriel just mentioned.
A Marshall will definitely get you into darker/bassier territory.

*The low end thing is partly a function of the speaker(s) and cabinet. As a general rule, the bigger the cab and with at least two 12 inch speakers (or 4x10" or one 15") you will be able to get significant low end. Think about the 'thump' of a 4x12" Marshall cab.

Orange and Ampeg amps are also of the 'darker' variety and vintage Ampegs are still reasonably priced.

Choosing and then 'playing' an amp is as equally complex (and fascinating) as playing guitar.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Hmmm, I don't have enough experience with bluesy amps and especially with Fender amps, but one very, very important question would be: What sort of a budget do you have in mind? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sone
Jan 2 2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate that! Well, in my country (Serbia), I can find used Fender Twin Reverb (in good state) for 700e, 800e. That is okey with me, because I really want to find some amp that will serve me for long years, and I will be satisfied.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sone @ Jan 2 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Thanks guys, I really appreciate that! Well, in my country (Serbia), I can find used Fender Twin Reverb (in good state) for 700e, 800e. That is okey with me, because I really want to find some amp that will serve me for long years, and I will be satisfied.. smile.gif

That sounds good. Remember to try it first. The good side about buying an used one is that you don't lose money if you decide to sell it after some months of use because you are not 100% satisfied with the tone.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 02:40 PM
Instructor
As Gabe says, try it first and buy it after you have decided it's close to 100% to what you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sone
Jan 2 2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you guys very much! I am new at this site, and I like it very much! Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2013, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sone @ Jan 2 2013, 11:23 AM) *
Thank you guys very much! I am new at this site, and I like it very much! Cheers

no problem mate! Let us know how the story ends and also if you have any other question! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 03:37 PM
Instructor
As Gabe said, we're here to help, so don't shy away from asking questions wink.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 2 2013, 07:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Talking about Fender amps I've got a Blues Junior which I love. I was wondering about putting a Blackstar Valve pedal in front of it?
I can't bypass the pre amp of the amp though. I have a pod 2 which really sounds bad with it so I'm thinking no.
I do like the sound from these pedals though.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 2 2013, 07:45 PM
I've never used a Blackstar but I play ODs in front of my Blues Jr. all the time and so far they all sound pretty good.
Blackstar has a good reputation. It'll probably sound great.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 2 2013, 08:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Fender amps tend to take pedals really well.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 09:38 PM
Instructor
I liked everything Blackstar I tried so far - I got a friend owning the http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-5c/ and it's seriously mean for its size biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:02 AM