New Troubles...........
AliMo
Aug 31 2007, 05:50 AM
GMC:er
Ok well I just got my new guitar, its an Ibanez RG4EX1.........

(Mine's not blue like that, its black with gray clouds on the body, same model tho)

So as you can see, its got a floyd rose. Now when I got the guitar it was brand new strings in tune, a little buzz on the low E string but no big deal. I was gonna ask the guy to fix it before I left the store but I was excited and forgot to rolleyes.gif . When I started playing it I got annoyed so attempted to fix it myself. I tightened the little fine tuner on the tremolo, no buzz but now the string was out of tune, and wait, stupid me forgot to buy a tuner........
So i undid what I had just tightened, now I have crazy buzz on every fret of that string and its out of tune. I have absolutely no idea about a floyd rose and am very confused. I'm also hesitant to tamper with it now for fear of messing up my new beauty even more. I already called the closest guitar shop to me and they wanna charge me 35 bucks to fix it so I figured it would be better for me to learn how to do it then spend money on it. I just got this guitar and would like to play it but can't so if someone could please help me with this it would be much appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 31 2007, 05:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think the information you look for is in the grear FAQ

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AliMo
Aug 31 2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I looked in the FAQ first and saw that it only had tips for re-stringing a floyd rose, not adjusting it so I didn't look.

After reading up on some of those thread I started tweaking some things but can't get rid of that buzz on the low E string. Is it possible that it could be the string thats the problem and a new string would fix it?

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 31 2007, 01:32 PM
QUOTE (AliMo @ Aug 31 2007, 07:09 AM) *
Sorry, I looked in the FAQ first and saw that it only had tips for re-stringing a floyd rose, not adjusting it so I didn't look.

After reading up on some of those thread I started tweaking some things but can't get rid of that buzz on the low E string. Is it possible that it could be the string thats the problem and a new string would fix it?

Highly Highly doubtable. I don't know about Floyd Rose Trems so I can't help you but I'll put money down it aint your strings fault biggrin.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 31 2007, 05:33 PM
Instructor
The guitar usually comes with manual on tuning and setting it up. I bought myself 2 Ibanez guitars already and they both had that manual included.

String buzz is not a problem. You just have to raise the bridge slightly by turning the big screws on the sides of the bridge. So if you have a buzz in 1st string than slightly rise the right side of the bridge (where you stick the whammy bar) by turning the screw counter-clockwise.

Those fine tuners are there for TUNING. So if your guitar is in tune DON'T TOUCH them wink.gif

And you definitely want to learn to fix and set up your guitar on your own. Because you'll have to do it every now and then. smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 09:47 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 31 2007, 06:33 PM) *
The guitar usually comes with manual on tuning and setting it up. I bought myself 2 Ibanez guitars already and they both had that manual included.

Because they were both Prestiges.

QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 31 2007, 06:33 PM) *
String buzz is not a problem. You just have to raise the bridge slightly by turning the big screws on the sides of the bridge. So if you have a buzz in 1st string than slightly rise the right side of the bridge (where you stick the whammy bar) by turning the screw counter-clockwise.

Yes, but first tune your guitar and check if the bridge is parallel with the body. Then if it still buzzes go and adjust the bridge height.

QUOTE (AliMo @ Aug 31 2007, 01:09 PM) *

Knowing how to restring it will help you how to adjust it. And you'll going to have to change the strings eventually. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 1 2007, 10:03 PM
And also I don't think you're going to have to adjust the bridge height, because your guitar was adjusted before it was shipped to the store, but in the store they probably didn't change the action (bridge height), but it certainly didn't remain in tune.
Maybe you're going to have to adjust the tension of the springs at the back of the guitar (use only tiny turns, quarter turns maximum). Look at the topics for restringing and youtube videos may help a lot (because when you're reading instructions, you might go ''I have to do what?!'' ohmy.gif and if you see someone do it, you'll see it's not that bad cool.gif ).
If you have additional questions ask.

Good luck!

And also.. smile.gif
this http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/Guitar%20Tech.htm may help,
look at FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO - STRING TUNING INSTRUCTIONS.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 2 2007, 12:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Sep 1 2007, 10:47 PM) *
Because they were both Prestiges.

Not true! My first was RG370DX and costed 320$. And it still had a manual.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 2 2007, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 2 2007, 01:07 AM) *
Not true! My first was RG370DX and costed 320$. And it still had a manual.

You're lying!! wink.gif tongue.gif

Well, you learn something new every day.

I've checked it (I didn't believe Pavel at first smile.gif), it's true, but both of the manuals (for Prestiges and the ones with floating bridges) are quite different. Though all of them are very useful and can be found on Ibanez site under support - instruction manuals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:02 PM