Double Disaster
TheOldOnes
Sep 3 2009, 03:58 PM
GMC:er
The other day I put aside my main guitar (ESP MH400NT) leaning up against my computer desk beside my guitar rack which was holding my scalloped ephiphone. I have done this hundreds of times but in the back of my mind, I have always thought that I might be pushing it and should buy another rack or put it away.

Well the inevitable happened - it fell over and when I picked it up, I was pretty shocked - the high e-string has broke (not so bad) but I saw that a 6 cm long section of the fret board lining had broken off and their was a huge chunk taken out of the 12th fret. I sat there for a long time staring at it but I couldn't figure out how the fret board could have been wrecked like that!

The next day, I got back on the horse and started to play around with my scalloped guitar only to realize what had happened the day before - my ESP had fallen over and clipped the tuning screw of the low E string bending it so badly that the only tuning regime I have been able to do for that guitar is drop Dflat (not sure it that is correct name but its like Drop D but a half step lower).

For the ESP, I was able to snap in the plastic liner piece (but I am thinking of taking it out and glueing it back on). The problem is there is a fairly large gap between the liner and fret that I may have problems with catching my fingers but I will have to wait to see if it is a problem - any ideas on what I can use to fill it if need be?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 3 2009, 06:23 PM
ohmy.gif THATS HORRIBLE!!!

A guitarists worst nightmare... breaking dem guitar!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 3 2009, 07:06 PM
Instructor
Ohh sorry to hear. sad.gif
Maybe someone can fix that piece of fretboard for you, take it to guitar tech!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 3 2009, 07:43 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oh Oh.. Sorry to hear that mate..

I have done that to both of my guitars.. a crack neck on my JEM and a paint off on of back of the neck on my Epi LP. It sucks and you always want to go back a min before and save that fall. Luckily, they are still playable with no major harm on tunes or playability for me.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Sep 3 2009, 07:43 PM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2009, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Oh man, sorry to hear that, that is indeed double trouble for you. Do you have some guitar tech around? Can it be fixed?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Sep 4 2009, 01:41 PM
I put new strings on the ESP and it is not bad - my finger catches a bit between the lining and the hole in the 12th fret but it is playable until I can get it fixed. There is a guitar tech in the area but it sometimes takes a month or more to get something done.

The epiphone is a fairly old guitar (1985) that I did a quite a bit of experimenting - removed the finish and repainted it along with scalloping the frets (inspired through some GMC posts). The bridge is essentially toast now but I had plans to replace it at some point in time - however it is still playable (in fact I have been practicing on that pretty much since the accident. I do have 2 other guitars though - another ESP (MH400 with tremelo) but I broke the high E string on it a while back and a epiphone Gothic Les Paul which is in good working condition which I use for jamming in the basement (I don't like the balance of it all that much for playing in front of the computer unless I play with a strap).

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Oh man!!!
What a nightmare!!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 4 2009, 08:33 PM
Lets go fishing!

I would actually physically cry if i even dented my PGM, and probably throw a "wobbly" like my little neice does laugh.gif laugh.gif

So I feel your pain wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 5 2009, 01:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I leaned my guitar against the computer desk last night...started to get up, looked at the guitar, and laid it on the floor instead. Sorry that happened bro!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Sep 8 2009, 07:54 PM
Nice move Praetorian - you won't catch me doing that again.

Mattacuk - yup - I stared at it for 10 minutes and I must have been in a state as our 3 dogs and the cat scattered to the far corners of the house so I must have shouted something (I can't remember what exactly I did at first).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:08 PM